Critiquing~Is there really a problem?

Chuck, I have no quick solution for my said statement. And I'm not sure if you actually agree or if you just want further material for your counterassertion.
I've made no counter-assertion. I just noticed you made several posts in this thread and wondered if you had a solution but were reluctant to present it.

Regarding a "Sticky" containing critiquing ediquete, I think it would be a waste of time. There are so many stickies now I personally don't read them any more. I don't even notice when new stickies appear.

I'd prefer a one line under the forum title like the Whine & Cheese subforum:
Whine & Cheese
Not for the faint of heart - this forum is where the bastid's come to roost. If you are easily offended, have delicate feelings, sensitive eyes, or a heart condition, STAY OUT!!!!

How about:
Custom & Handmade Knives
Only critique knives where the knifemaker or collector has asked for comments. In all other cases keep negative comments to yourself.

I've made no counter-assertion. I just noticed you made several posts in this thread and wondered if you had a solution but were reluctant to present it.

Regarding a "Sticky" containing critiquing ediquete, I think it would be a waste of time. There are so many stickies now I personally don't read them any more. I don't even notice when new stickies appear.

Whine & Cheese
Not for the faint of heart - this forum is where the bastid's come to roost. If you are easily offended, have delicate feelings, sensitive eyes, or a heart condition, STAY OUT!!!!

How about:
Custom & Handmade Knives
Only critique knives where the knifemaker or collector has asked for comments. In all other cases keep negative comments to yourself.

Interesting idea. :thumbup:

Whine & Cheese

How about:
Custom & Handmade Knives

It could very well be that something this simple would solve the whole problem. I like it

How about:
Custom & Handmade Knives

I don't know if I have ever truely critiqued a knife. I know that I have given my personal opinion on what I think of the look of the knife, but really, that's about all I can do based on looking at photographs. It is not my place to tell a maker how to go about making a knife, but I do think I should be able to post that I don't think a certain handle material looks right with the other materials used.

What I would hope is that the maker would know that my observations are not criticisms, but instead are just me pointing out my personal preferences.

Don't change a thing. This the best knife forum out there. 95% of the posts are fine.

People in loving families squabble all the time. Couples that pledge themselves to each other break their vows 50% of the time. In the 20th century the tally of humans murdering other humans was slightly less than 200 million. People are flawed--those that criticize and those that receive criticism. No one is born with thick skin, it's learned. Thin skin is not a virtue, it's a weakness. Lincoln was one of the most despised presidents but he ignored criticism and they shot him in the head. They crucified Jesus Christ, and what was His crime? No one is being physically beaten here, they're just words . . . fricken words. Words can cut you only if you let them. And my question to you who cannot tolerate them, why are you letting mere words control you? I thought we settled this back in the 5th grade schoolyard with that "sticks and stone" ditty.

You will receive "serious" (perfect) critiques the day you become a perfect person. Much criticism is bs; so what. Do we need a sticky on how to treat bs? Why should I subsidize your weakness with a new subforum that is just warm and fuzzy censorship. Censorship is for tyrants or men without chests.

Don't change a thing; BF is working better than it has a right to, given this assorted and sundry body of flawed knife lovers.

Ken

How about:
Custom & Handmade Knives

Is the above or a sticky stating the "rules of engagement" and/or stating what is not "acceptable conduct" something we need to pursue?

Though painful at times, perhaps we are making progress. ;) :)

Personally, I think enough is an enough! Lets get back to knives and let this B.S. stall out!!!!! ;):D

Back