Crossbar (Axis) Lock Folders

RamZar

Gold Member
The Crossbar (Axis) Lock seems to be gaining more in popularity since the Benchmade patent ran out in 2016 (you still can’t call it Axis lock due to trademarks).

In the recent past, I’ve gotten a Benchmade 945 (Axis), Hogue Ritter Mini RSK (Able) and Kershaw Bel Air (Duralock). All three have been great so far with smoothness and detent. I may try the MKM Yipper as well.

Which of these various Crossbar locks have you tried? Which do you prefer? Any others?

I’ve heard of Microtech’s Ram Lok and Tactile Knife’s Crossbar Lock.

Last edited:
The spring in my Yipper is way too strong, making it difficult to flick open with my thumb. I have never had a knife with an Axis lock that was difficult to open.

The Bel Air has the best action I have encountered apart from Benchmade. It opens and closes as well as a Bugout or Griptilian. But there have been reports of problems with the heat treatment--see CuttingBoardReviews on Youtube--so be gentle with the blade.

The spring in my Yipper is way too strong, making it difficult to flick open with my thumb. I have never had a knife with an Axis lock that was difficult to open.

The Bel Air has the best action I have encountered apart from Benchmade. It opens and closes as well as a Bugout or Griptilian. But there have been reports of problems with the heat treatment--see CuttingBoardReviews on Youtube--so be gentle with the blade.

Apparently, you can adjust the detent / tension on the MKM Yipper. See CuttingBoardReviews YT video.

2U25cEM.jpeg

In another video (ADHDHobbyGuy on YT) , it looks like the blade of the Yipper hits one of the barrel spacers when you close the knife.

The destructive test by CuttingBoardReviews on the Kershaw Bel Air is something you’d probably never do with a small pocket knife but it’s good to know. Using a small knife as a pry bar is not advised. Remember the blade on the Bel Air is only 0.09” thick.

I’m a fan of Hogue’s crossbar lock a lot. I think it’s smoother than my BM’s. If I flick it open hard I do deal with some lock stick though.

Maybe look into the Spyderco Manix 2. I forget what they call the lock but it’s similar in use to a crossbar lock.

I’m a fan of Hogue’s crossbar lock a lot. I think it’s smoother than my BM’s. If I flick it open hard I do deal with some lock stick though.

Maybe look into the Spyderco Manix 2. I forget what they call the lock but it’s similar in use to a crossbar lock.
It's a CBBL, Caged Ball Bearing Lock

I currently only own 1. The action on it is fantastic. Recently had a bugout as well and it too had a very snappy detent. I wonder if Benchmade made some adjustments.
IMG_20240301_185503_711.jpg

I also had a Kizer Clutch lock knife and it was freaky nice also.

I got a Microtech Stitch two weeks ago, And it has rocksolid lock up although it’s not technically a crossbar lock, it pretty much works on the same principal.

I have had a couple of Griptillians in the past, and I have an old school Adamas and I’ve never had any sort of problem from a Benchmade axis lock.

I currently only own 1. The action on it is fantastic. Recently had a bugout as well and it too had a very snappy detent. I wonder if Benchmade made some adjustments.

I also had a Kizer Clutch lock knife and it was freaky nice also.

Benchmade must’ve made some changes because my BM 945 is just great. Nice detent and no blade play. Of course, it’s pricey for what you get with S30V & Aluminum.

I may try a Kizer Clutch Lock like the Drop Bear. I’ve heard good things. You said you had a Kizer Clutch Knife. What made you decide to part with it?

Last edited:
I got a Microtech Stitch two weeks ago, And it has rocksolid lock up although it’s not technically a crossbar lock, it pretty much works on the same principal.

That’s the Microtech RamLok which is similar to the Crossbar Lock.

Benchmade must’ve made some changes because my BM 945 is just great. Nice detent and no blade play. Of course, it’s pricey for what you get with S30V & Aluminum.

I may try a Kizer Clutch Lock like the Drop Bear. I’ve heard good things. You said you had a Kizer Clutch Knife. What made you decide to part with it?
I had a drop bear. I had ordered a different knife and they sent one by accident. It was really nice but wasn't what I was wanting at the time. I was recently looking at the Knafs Lander 2 that is built by kizer and has the fun swappable scales.

Some Dekas, such as mine, have red Loctite, which makes it difficult to swap scales, adjust the pivot screw, or remove thumb studs for sharpening at a narrow angle. There are threads about this around here somewhere.

Back