Crossbar (Axis) Lock Folders

My favorite execution of this type of lock is the first one I ever had, and in fact the first "nice" knife I bought that got me into this as a hobby (actually I carried it for 5 years or so as my only knife before really getting deep into the hobby). It was the Snody designed HK branded Benchmade. You can hold this knife horizontally and open/close it simply by actuating the lock, with little to no wrist action whatsoever. It is the standard that I've held all of my Benchmades to over the years, and frankly none have them since have ever surpassed it.

NRkXrEo.jpg

My favorite execution of this type of lock is the first one I ever had, and in fact the first "nice" knife I bought that got me into this as a hobby (actually I carried it for 5 years or so as my only knife before really getting deep into the hobby). It was the Snody designed HK branded Benchmade. You can hold this knife horizontally and open/close it simply by actuating the lock, with little to no wrist action whatsoever. It is the standard that I've held all of my Benchmades to over the years, and frankly none have them since have ever surpassed it.

I still have my H&K Tanto Snody made by Benchmade from September 2005 when I got a H&K USP Expert. It's a small but tough folder. The bottom half of the scales has a tough rubber which assures good grip.

These days Hogue makes solid Crossbar Lock folders for H&K and SIG Sauer.

Back in the day I had a lot of issues with Benchmade and swore them off in 2016, sold all 4.

At this point I don't care for thumbstuds, however the microtech amphibian looks interesting to me, and the thumb thingy looks like something I might be able to tolerate. I like the hole opener of the MSI but which it was available in another blade shape.

At this point I don't care for thumbstuds, however the microtech amphibian looks interesting to me, and the thumb thingy looks like something I might be able to tolerate. I like the hole opener of the MSI but which it was available in another blade shape.

Microtech also has the Stitch with RAM-LOK in addition to the MSI and Amphibian models all with M390MK blade steel.

I have bought 5 Hogue / Ritter knives between myself, daughter, father and father in law. I think their current production is at least as good if not better than Benchmade, and a better overall value. In fact the RSK MagnaCut is a phenomenal all around knife as long as the somewhat aggressive texture of the G10 is acceptable to you. I have to wear 100% cotton uniforms supplied by employer for safety reasons, so they wear out overall from laundering before the pocket wear is an issue for me, but it's about the only drawback I have encountered. It's an exclusive with a reputable knife dealer, but I don't think they are a sponsor. Based on my experience with those, I would not hesitate to buy another Hogue ABLE lock knife.

NRkXrEo.jpg

I still have my H&K Tanto Snody made by Benchmade from September 2005 when I got a H&K USP Expert. It's a small but tough folder. The bottom half of the scales has a tough rubber which assures good grip.

These days Hogue makes solid Crossbar Lock folders for H&K and SIG Sauer.

I just took a picture of my H&K USP Expert and H&K Snody Tanto both from 2005 and first time taking them out in a good 15 years! A nice pair!

dYMEYfr.jpeg

yE8h12f.jpeg

Some Dekas, such as mine, have red Loctite, which makes it difficult to swap scales, adjust the pivot screw, or remove thumb studs for sharpening at a narrow angle. There are threads about this around here somewhere.

Get the right version and there is no need to swap out parts!

View attachment 2519827

I have bought 5 Hogue / Ritter knives between myself, daughter, father and father in law. I think their current production is at least as good if not better than Benchmade, and a better overall value. In fact the RSK MagnaCut is a phenomenal all around knife as long as the somewhat aggressive texture of the G10 is acceptable to you. I have to wear 100% cotton uniforms supplied by employer for safety reasons, so they wear out overall from laundering before the pocket wear is an issue for me, but it's about the only drawback I have encountered. It's an exclusive with a reputable knife dealer, but I don't think they are a sponsor. Based on my experience with those, I would not hesitate to buy another Hogue ABLE lock knife.

The Hogue Crossbar Lock folders are really nice specially the ones at the exclusive dealer under the Ritter brand. I got the Mini RSK with MagnaCut & solid fluted CF. No need for aftermarket scales and no aggressive texture.

xes4U6M.jpeg

0XAGwUx.jpeg

I added a new Crossbar Lock folder and it’s the Kizer Sub-3 OBK with Kizer’s Clutch Lock. It’s extremely smooth opening and closing. Blade steel is 154CM and the handle is aluminum. Only $89! I’d pay more for better steel and lighter weight. It’s the blacked-out in the photos.

cFHxMfb.jpeg

WZ7Kjhn.jpeg

For those thinking of getting a MKM Yipper with Crossbar Lock, G-10 and MagnaCut here's how MKM is addressing the blade touching the barrel spacer issue:

It has come to our attention that the MKM Yipper has a design flaw where the blade overtravels and hits the barrel spacer.

While this doesn't affect the knife's safety or overall function, this overtravel can cause small nicks and rolls in the blade.

We strive to design and manufacture our products to the highest of tolerances and precision, however, we missed on this one.

We'd like to make it right with all of our customers who have purchased the Yipper.

We have a simple solution for customers who purchased the first production run: MKM will send out a larger thumb stud that will act as a safety stop to prevent the blade from overtraveling and hitting the barrel spacer.

For customers experiencing this problem, please fill out the form (https://forms.gle/orLww7E4KoaGxNgJA), and you will receive a new thumb stud, free of charge.

For future runs, we will be adjusting the tang of the blade to prevent this issue from the factory.

Thanks for understanding, and thanks for your continued support of MKM.

SOG has perfected the axis lock with their version called "XR" I have used several Terminus XR's and Tac XR's and they are not all smooth out of the box. However, once broken in and properly lubed, they are flawless in function.

I'm really impressed with the Kizer Clutch Lock folders. Very smooth operation for opening and closing. They need to make them lighter and a steel better than 154CM even if the price goes up.

Kizer also makes the Olight Rubato Rail Lock (Axis) folders and a new one called Rubato 4 has S35VN steel, Ultem transparent scales and it's lighter.

I’ve never had any problem with the Axis lock. I’m a fan. I also like Spyderco’s ball bearing lock.

I got a Microtech Stitch two weeks ago, And it has rocksolid lock up although it’s not technically a crossbar lock, it pretty much works on the same principal.

I have had a couple of Griptillians in the past, and I have an old school Adamas and I’ve never had any sort of problem from a Benchmade axis lock.
I have a Stich, MSI, and Amphibian. All of them have the ram lok. I really enjoy the smoothness of the locking system.

I have a Stich, MSI, and Amphibian. All of them have the ram lok. I really enjoy the smoothness of the locking system.
I have the MSI now too. I absolutely love it. Even more than the Stitch, which kind of surprised me.

Now I want an Amphibian to complete the set.

I just got a new Olight Rubato 2 folder with the Rail Lock (Axis Lock), 154CM blade and aluminum handle. It compares with the Benchmade 945 with S30V blade and aluminum handle. The Olight Rubato line is made by Kizer. Huge difference in price. Big difference in weight. The Rubato is smoother but the BM 945 is much lighter and has the better steel.

Olight Rubato 2
Blade Steel: 154CM
Handle: Aluminum
Blade Length: 2.93”
Blade Thickness: 0.11”
Weight: 3.19 oz.
Price: $89.99

Benchmade 945
Blade Steel: S30V
Handle: Aluminum
Blade Length: 2.92”
Blade Thickness: 0.104”
Weight: 2.00 oz.
Price: $207.00

GMqyG6N.jpg

ROye3CC.jpg

I have two Kunwu cross bar lock knives (Pulsar and X-Tao). They're both well made designs with great materials at a decent price but I just don't enjoy crossbar/button lock knives as much as frame lock, liner lock, bolster lock knives.

I only have this one. It's a Willumsen Zero7 in 440c.

It's basically replaced the buck 110 as my big ass folder. It hasn't seen much use over the last year because of life getting in the way... but this is a heavy duty bastid that I wouldn't think twice about beating on.

The blade is 3.5" long but it is a thick and wide. Slightly Over 1/8" thick steel and about 1.25" wide. For its size it does carry in the pocket surprisingly well. Nice wire pocket clip on it.

As far as modern knives go and my limited experience with most of them... the axis lock is definitely my preference over liner/frame locks and the like. I'd go for a button or axis lock over the liner/frame locks any day.

The only thing that really concerns me is the tiny little spring that keeps that crossbar working. I guess at this point if it was an issue you would hear more about it.

Last edited:
Just picked up a CJRB Prado. The crossbar lock is a bit stiff, but the action is absolutely excellent. Fantastic for a sub $60 knife.

Back