CS Recon Scout Fails Miserably

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Don't you think it's time to start recommending a RAT 6 instead of the CS?" -Teague

In all fairness, that was an Ontario RAT-7 in D2. Not a RAT Cutlery RC-6 in 1095.

Yeah I know it was, just posted it for info.

D2 is a good steel though if it's heat treated correctly.

Any steel can be bad if the heat treating process is not done correctly.

"Don't you think it's time to start recommending a RAT 6 instead of the CS?" -Teague

In all fairness, that was an Ontario RAT-7 in D2. Not a RAT Cutlery RC-6 in 1095.

I dont beleive that Ontario makes a RAT-6. I may have missed it.

In all fairness, that knife shouldn't fail so easily on the battoning test. :D

To ankerson: That is the truth. I dont feel like we should all get worked up when one company's knife fails and say, "oh, well I will never buy one of those." Because then nobody would own anything.

To woodstock: True, that was pathetic.

To ankerson: That is the truth. I dont feel like we should all get worked up when one company's knife fails and say, "oh, well I will never buy one of those." Because then nobody would own anything.

To woodstock: True, that was pathetic.

I never get that worked up personally. :D

Yeah I almost spit my coffee all over my KB the 1st time I saw it I was laughing so hard. LOL :D

Dang!

It looks like Busse, ScrapYard, Cold Steel 1055 or maybe the Cold Steel Bushman is the way to go from what I've seen so far.

I wouldn't go that far really, there are a lot of good knives on the market. :)

Last edited:
I never get that worked up personally. :D

Yeah I almost spit my coffee all over my KB the 1st time I saw it I was laughing so hard. LOL :D

I wouldn't go that far really, there are a lot of good knives on the market. :)

Well you can buy some of the others and give it whack (baton) with a hickory stick then let us know how it goes ; )

As for me I am using the Cold Steel Bushman and or Cold Steel 1055 12 inch machetes while camping. I like to take a few knives with me until I've proven them to endure common camping requirements. I usually have an axe or hatchet but batoning is a requirement for my large camp knife.

you are not going to be carrying a hammer in rural area.wood is only viable batoning tool.solve the problem forever & get a differntially hardened blade from one of our forum makers.

I think most of us have seen those. ;)
WELL PARDON ME!! Are you sure there aren't some of the members or lurkers here that haven't seen them. BTW, what's your problem? First you post a bogus video that doesn't even apply to what I said and then you keep disssing me? Are you always this anal?

Those Rat cultery knives (not Ontario) with 1095 steel are tough. Not as cheap as a CS knife, but you're using this as a survival knife are you not? What's your life worth?

+1 for Becker and scrapyard in these scenarios. Iirc the cs Laredo Bowie with coffin handle doesn't really have a full tang which makes me wonder about cs' emphasis.

The Laredo Bowie was designed as a fighting knife, not so much a field knife as say the Trail Master.

you are not going to be carrying a hammer in rural area.wood is only viable batoning tool.solve the problem forever & get a differntially hardened blade from one of our forum makers.

Either that, or when in a winter North American environment teach the boys that they should carry a small axe.

Regardless, that experience wouldn't contribute to my confidence in that knife either !

zomposter67567087.jpg

Kind regards,

Jos

I love this old thread.

Personally, I'm not going to carry an axe around. I'd be lucky to carry a large fixed blade.

But, I always have a good single bladed locking folder. Often a smaller fixed blade as well.

What everyone who is really interested in saving their skin needs is a PLB and a mobile phone.

What everyone who is really interested in saving their skin needs is a PLB and a mobile phone.

If it's all the same to you I'll keep relying on the good old knife, firelighting tools & compass to save my a$$.

Kind regards,

Jos

You think.... ;)

[youtube]<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EFpkrk4ikWc&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EFpkrk4ikWc&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>[/youtube]

LMAO, i wonder what those guys were thinking

ok this video is total cheese but look how far they bend the trailmaster without it snapping. Doesn't look brittle to me. Anyone actually do some rough use with their San Mai III blades?
[youtube]ivQQzptsbN0[/youtube]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back