CTS-XHP/Duratech 20CV?

We all spend our cash on expensive things and expect never to see anything go wrong. That's not reality. How many times has your car or truck been in the shop? How many repairman have been to your house? How about that expensive watch on your wrist? The dang buckle still scratches! Makes me crazy. I'm sure if there is a real problem with your blade Rick and Rob will make it right.

Agreed +1 :thumbup: Rick knows his stuff for sure!

We all, as knife nuts must face the brutish reality that no matter how cool, expensive, or the type of steel used - it will rust if not cared for properly.

I think it's part of Conan the Barbarian's "riddle of steel" that they don't mention in the movie. Okay, got my $.02 in, y'all get back to your beating... :D :D

Agreed +1 :thumbup: Rick knows his stuff for sure!

We all, as knife nuts must face the brutish reality that no matter how cool, expensive, or the type of steel used - it will rust if not cared for properly.

I think it's part of Conan the Barbarian's "riddle of steel" that they don't mention in the movie. Okay, got my $.02 in, y'all get back to your beating... :D :D
Which is why I can really appreciate such an easy to maintain construction which makes it very user friendly to take apart and put together the entire knife, as opposed to say, the Spyderco Gayle Bradley which seems to have super loctite on each and every screw and the carbon fiber scales also seem to be superglued to the liners.

A nice firm rub down with a Marine Tuf Cloth prevented any further spots. We've also been having some floody rains over here, and that has been particularly unfriendly to all steels.

Back to the true topic of this thread. I hate D2. But I love Cts-xhp. Riddle me that

Duratech 20cv and CTS-XHP, Both great steels in my opinion. It's hard to go wrong with either One. Unless you're Noctis3880 apparently ;)

Last edited:
Back to the true topic of this thread. I hate D2. But I love Cts-xhp. Riddle me that

Duratech 20cv and CTS-XHP, Both great steels in my opinion. It's hard to go wrong with either One. Unless you're Noctis3880 apparently ;)
Gee thanks:rolleyes:. Performance wise I actually like the steel quite a bit:thumbup:.

Did Jim ever complete the cutting tests with the CTS-XHP that you sent him? It was your Manix 2 and not your XM right? :confused:
Yes, it was my Manix 2. But given that the heat treat of the steel is pretty consistent, I'd expect performance to be about the same. Jim placed it in Category 2 right up along with ZDP-189 and above S30V. Little surprised at that given the low vanadium content of the steel.

Still, ZDP level of edge retention without the chipping and brittleness issues is just...it's just great:thumbup:.

Oh, and I've finally got the hang of flipping it open:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:. Jimping is eating up my index finger though.

If the only marked steel is the CTS-XHP, how does one distinguish Duratech 20CV from CPM-S35VN (or -S30V, if it exists)? I have heard that the relief grind is different for each steel. Is this true and if so, could anyone specify the distinctions? Thank you!

If the only marked steel is the CTS-XHP, how does one distinguish Duratech 20CV from CPM-S35VN (or -S30V, if it exists)? I have heard that the relief grind is different for each steel. Is this true and if so, could anyone specify the distinctions? Thank you!

I could be wrong, but from my experience S35VN is marked as well. Not sure about S30V, haven't owned any of those yet.

To say xhp is slighlty lower grade then s30 is INSANE . Xhp is soooooo much better then s30 and that comes from extensive use of both steels at a plant nursery ;burlap , twine 1ply to 5ply, plastic pots boxes and other misc. Uses.. IIIINNSANEEE

To say xhp is slighlty lower grade then s30 is INSANE . Xhp is soooooo much better then s30 and that comes from extensive use of both steels at a plant nursery ;burlap , twine 1ply to 5ply, plastic pots boxes and other misc. Uses.. IIIINNSANEEE

Who said that? CTS-XHP is super premium steel as you posted.

I, personally, prefer S30V and Duratrch 20CV over Carpenter's CTS-XHP but thats just me. I think it's mostly all in my head. I HATE D-2, and I guess just knowing that CTS-XHP is SIMILAR to D2 gives me an unfair prejudice against it. Still a great steel, no doubt about that, I really don't have any complaints about it, it's just that I personally prefer the others over it. Just my twisted two cents, for what it's worth.

The very first post . To me its not like d2 it out preforms d2 no problem . I'm at work now on a droid 2 was just cutting some burlap up into smaller piecies to re wrap some spartan junipers rootballs. Had to open the droid to see what was said of my post last night . If u want to get rid of ur xhp for a diff xm I will gladly buy urs off u for what u paid .:D

Last edited:
From my experience with XM18s in these three steels I like them in the following order due to cutting ability:
1. s35vn
2. CTS-XHP
3. D 20cv

This being said all three are superb!

I yet still to see one of those fail reliability wise as all of them are tough and the knives designed for a hard use :thumbup:

Well, the blade is unmarked, so I guess it's the Duratech 20CV. It's definitely a 3rd Gen, the blade looks all tumbled and smooth. The only grind marks are on the secondary bevel.

From my experience with XM18s in these three steels I like them in the following order due to cutting ability:
1. s35vn
2. CTS-XHP
3. D 20cv

This being said all three are superb!

I yet still to see one of those fail reliability wise as all of them are tough and the knives designed for a hard use :thumbup:

And now I change this to:
1. s35vn
2. D 20cv
3.CTS-XHP
as 20cv holds the edge better than CTS and is more usable long-run. This is due to tha fact that 20cv contains a large volume of extremely hard vanadium carbides, which provide excellent wear resistance. There is no vanadium in CTS.

And now I change this to:
1. s35vn
2. D 20cv
3.CTS-XHP
as 20cv holds the edge better than CTS and is more usable long-run. This is due to tha fact that 20cv contains a large volume of extremely hard vanadium carbides, which provide excellent wear resistance. There is no vanadium in CTS.

Ditto! My thoughts EXACTLY!

Back