Destructive Knife Steel Testing . . .

I get why he may want to stop with the crazy antics if neighbors are complaining...but why take down the videos?

Judging from his comments, I'm going to hazard a guess that he doesn't want to give his current pursuers any more ammunition.

I'm presuming that the majority of us are viewing this thing through the optics of being "Americans". Despite him mentioning "free speech" a few times, it's quite easy for us to forget that Austria doesn't have the U.S. Constitution and Bill of Rights. If his local troubles get worse, and he ends up in front of some sort of magistrate or court, I reckon those videos could very quickly become evidence.

To most of us knife guys, his vids represent "testing", "entertainment", "stupidity", "douchebaggery", or something along that spectrum. However, just like guns, not everyone is a knife person. I'm guessing those vids would not play well in legal proceedings, and with a mixed bag of folks.

I may be WAYYY TF off. However, that is my $0.02.

We are looking at it like it was in America, he is not. I hated what he was doing the first time I saw him, the same way I felt about WhistlinDiesel... Now I realize they are a big part of now. They don't have the same values that I grew up with, "use the right tool for the job" , don't abuse your tools, etc... but these guys have the balls to admit it when they over step and admit what they are doing. They are the Shock Jocks of the Internet and just trying to make a living while staying in the area of things they enjoy.
I still think It's shitty to destroy a nice gun, knife or truck just for more views but if it pays the bills I understand. As long as the admit when they go to far and sincerely apologize as needed.

I skimmed through this thread after about page... 9, maybe(?). i can't really say I give a pinch of owl sh** about where the whole affair has gone. Except that I MISSED the videos he posted of testing the Bussekin. I had them bookmarked, but he got torpedoed before i could watch them. YEah... I'm kinda slow. I'm HOPING we will still see some Busse testing of knives on this thread. I thought that was why it was here, and is why I subscribed. But it got hijacked by JoeX. And so far we have learned: some of us like JoeX, some of us dislike JoeX, Busse still rules, and Karens suck (and not the good way). Still hoping for some good scientific testing to come out. I know... two weeks. ;)

^ agreed
While we wait on Jerry I’m sure some of us members can make some new testing videos.

Is there anything specific anyone wants to see ? Getting some ideas flowing here.

I skimmed through this thread after about page... 9, maybe(?). i can't really say I give a pinch of owl sh** about where the whole affair has gone. Except that I MISSED the videos he posted of testing the Bussekin. I had them bookmarked, but he got torpedoed before i could watch them. YEah... I'm kinda slow. I'm HOPING we will still see some Busse testing of knives on this thread. I thought that was why it was here, and is why I subscribed. But it got hijacked by JoeX. And so far we have learned: some of us like JoeX, some of us dislike JoeX, Busse still rules, and Karens suck (and not the good way). Still hoping for some good scientific testing to come out. I know... two weeks. ;)

Reading your post, I couldn't help but feel I was reading the bold print of the textbook. You know, the bold parts that were about 90%+ or so of what was on the final exam? They should just sticky this post to the start of this tread, save everyone some time until the testing videos arrive! 😁

A summary of what you missed:

- All 3 blades did great in their intended use. Joe X chopped and batoned some trees in a small protected area forest (😆) - which seems to be one of the details that turned against his channel later on. He admited that the AFBM was fantastic (I can't remember exactly if he said it was "fantastic" or "awesome", but that was the idea). This was a surprise for me in the 2nd video, knowing from the first one that he didn't like INFI.

- All 3 blades stabbed and chopped the car without visible edge or tip damage, despite of being already in the intentional damage teritory. For penetrability, the AFBM did better than the Steel Heart, which is due to the grind and geometry, so no surprise.

- He managed to break the tips by forcing sideways with two hands and full power, which is, again, in my opinion, something expected (to either bend or break), due to the long length of the blade in these knives offering a pretty good prying leverage. They took some bend before breaking, but finally broke (of course, being 58-60 HRC). Again no surprise.

- When doing the "brick" test, all the knives started to chip big chunks out of the blade, at some point (not from the first strike). The AFBM also broke, while the Steel Heart still had some fair length to qualify further for the iron rod - where it broke as well. The "brick" is actually a square block of concrete, that was being hit onto its edge, perpendicularly, repeatedly, with the edge of the knife. For me, again, this was no surprise, due to the fair length and weigth of these knives, they are capable of generating that awesome impact power, which makes them fantastic in use. The same awesome power turns against the blade itself, if it is hit against an object that doesn't absorb it, when that movement is done repeatedly with cadence and full power. So I was still not surprised.

- Joe commented saying he is disappointed. Here cames the entertaining part, that heated all these discussions with people who like him and people who hate him: He used words like "shit", "overhyped", "overpriced", pronounced the name "Busse" like "pussy" and then ironicalky called out Jerry Busse Jerry Busse with "Let's drink!", like nothing happened. This is one of the parts that I didn't like in the 3 vids (attack at the person, especially against someone who hadn't done any harm to him or to anyone else). I also didn't agree qualifying a knife as "disappointment" after testing it one-sided in a single aspect (and that being an aspect it wasn't designed for). But people don't need to always agree on anything.

The really interesting part that I noticed in those 3 videos is the way the AFBM chipped: there seemed to be flat chunks coming out of the blade from the middle to the exterior, remaining flat in the core. It acted like the blade was laminated from two paralel sheets of steel. What I wonder (and hope to hear the input from Busse here) is was it laminated? Was this the result of a special heat treatment meant to achieve a harder hardness in the core line of the blade? Or was it just the outcome of a potentially defective batch of steel?

A summary of what you missed:

- All 3 blades did great in their intended use. Joe X chopped and batoned some trees in a small protected area forest (😆) - which seems to be one of the details that turned against his channel later on. He admited that the AFBM was fantastic (I can't remember exactly if he said it was "fantastic" or "awesome", but that was the idea). This was a surprise for me in the 2nd video, knowing from the first one that he didn't like INFI.

- All 3 blades stabbed and chopped the car without visible edge or tip damage, despite of being already in the intentional damage teritory. For penetrability, the AFBM did better than the Steel Heart, which is due to the grind and geometry, so no surprise.

- He managed to break the tips by forcing sideways with two hands and full power, which is, again, in my opinion, something expected (to either bend or break), due to the long length of the blade in these knives offering a pretty good prying leverage. They took some bend before breaking, but finally broke (of course, being 58-60 HRC). Again no surprise.

- When doing the "brick" test, all the knives started to chip big chunks out of the blade, at some point (not from the first strike). The AFBM also broke, while the Steel Heart still had some fair length to qualify further for the iron rod - where it broke as well. The "brick" is actually a square block of concrete, that was being hit onto its edge, perpendicularly, repeatedly, with the edge of the knife. For me, again, this was no surprise, due to the fair length and weigth of these knives, they are capable of generating that awesome impact power, which makes them fantastic in use. The same awesome power turns against the blade itself, if it is hit against an object that doesn't absorb it, when that movement is done repeatedly with cadence and full power. So I was still not surprised.

- Joe commented saying he is disappointed. Here cames the entertaining part, that heated all these discussions with people who like him and people who hate him: He used words like "shit", "overhyped", "overpriced", pronounced the name "Busse" like "pussy" and then ironicalky called out Jerry Busse Jerry Busse with "Let's drink!", like nothing happened. This is one of the parts that I didn't like in the 3 vids (attack at the person, especially against someone who hadn't done any harm to him or to anyone else). I also didn't agree qualifying a knife as "disappointment" after testing it one-sided in a single aspect (and that being an aspect it wasn't designed for). But people don't need to always agree on anything.

The really interesting part that I noticed in those 3 videos is the way the AFBM chipped: there seemed to be flat chunks coming out of the blade from the middle to the exterior, remaining flat in the core. It acted like the blade was laminated from two paralel sheets of steel. What I wonder (and hope to hear the input from Busse here) is was it laminated? Was this the result of a special heat treatment meant to achieve a harder hardness in the core line of the blade? Or was it just the outcome of a potentially defective batch of steel?
…..well Jerry asked for it all back (and would provide a replacement or refund) to examine but Joe said no. That may have changed now he has found some humility.

I wonder how a fat ASH would have done in the prying and steel pole strikes, being so thick and stout ?

I wonder how a fat ASH would have done in the prying and steel pole strikes, being so thick and stout ?
Not sure about a fat ASH, but for sure a fat Game Warden would pass it all with flying colors, as the length of the "prybar" has a significant word to say in the way he tested.

…..well Jerry asked for it all back (and would provide a replacement or refund) to examine but Joe said no. That may have changed now he has found some humility.

Exactly. I think joe said in his last video that he would return the blade. What everyone should glean out of this, is that no other company wants to study the pieces and no other company was willing to send him more knives to test, even after being shut down by his neighbors.

What he wrote on his youtub page was good

JOE X
4 days ago
Jerry BUSSE wrote me! U all need to read this!!!!

@BusseKnifeGroup I just read where you are leaving YouTube. I am very sorry to hear this.

We had planned on sending you a couple of the knives that we had discussed earlier for your testing. These models have their geometry tuned for your intended use, and I have no doubts that you will be blown away by the toughness and overall performance of INFI.

We are currently in the process of making these blades and they should be ready to ship in approximately 6-12 weeks. I realize that you are no longer making videos for the public, but if you are still interested in breaking some blades just for fun, then we would love to hear your feedback. We don't need your tests to be filmed because your feedback will only be used for our internal research purposes, NOT for advertising. We will NOT mention your name or that you did any of the testing. If you would like to have a couple of these knives for your own personal use after testing, we would be happy to send you some. To be clear, these "personal use knives" are not meant to be a payment of any sort, just a thank you for your time.

We are looking for your honest opinion and believe there is much value in your feedback.

If this sounds like something that you might still be interested in, please let me know.

If not, I wish you all the best in your future endeavors,

Jerry Busse

looks well loved
What's up TFHT!!!

I remember reading this review - all of it, and a ton of CS's other stuff. The Basic 7 made it through so much before breaking...it is incredible the blade lasted so long (and that is not fanboy stuff). I am not sure the exact timeframe the tests occurred over, and I think it was month's (if not longer) worth of testing. Plus the amount of steel that was taken off to get edge and "knife functionality" back after major abuse round after round across all sorts of scenarios. The CS B7 saga reads like an incredible success story for that knife, if you ask me, and if i remember correctly. It has been literal years (probably more than 5 years ago) since I read that stuff so maybe I am way off base.

We have tested hundreds of blades throughout the years and always test several blades from every batch of steel.

Destructive testing of knife steel is only relevant if it is repeatable from blade to blade with the same level of impact, same angle, same firmness of grip, etc . . .

For those of you who have done your own destructive testing, also known as "beating your knife stupid when in a drunken rage", you know the huge difference that a minor change in the angle of impact can make. Couple this with how consistently tight you're holding the knife when swinging for the fences, and your favorite blade could be headed for an early grave!

Any knife can be broken, that's not big news.

However, the fairness factor is only there if the tests are done more scientifically and mechanically to ensure repeatability.

That is why there are Izod and Charpy impact testers used in metallurgical labs instead of these tests being performed by hand.

If you want to know how different steels with varying Rockwell hardnesses, bevel geometries, and edge angles hold up under impact, you must have knives made with the same bevel and edge geometry in order to compare them. Otherwise, your comparisons in knife steel will carry very little weight with those who truly love and use knives.

So, what can be done? We are currently putting several tests together that will highlight these differences.

These tests will show the areas where a variety of knife steels excel and which steels perform better for different applications.

This will take a lot of time, testing, and effort to put together, but it should be worth it. So, stay tuned my friends!

Let's Drink! :cool:

Jerry 😁

this is great, and will be fun and informative and create lots of good Busse banter. I am sure it will invigorate or re-invigorate the support/love/appreciation for Busse by those of us who love and use them (really just tell us what we already know). I think the biggest testament is still the user experiences amassed over decades. I know people on here, and I know my Busse knives that I have used/abused and I know it is not BS.

If you have used INFI enough to know, then you know where it truly shines, and where it is a bit more pedestrian. For me, I have 100% total confidence in my Busse knives, big or small, and the warranty backs it up. And their customer service and availability and responsiveness. The steel and the company are the total package. and sure, I have had offline conversations with folks where I was grumbling about this or that with regards to what I think Busse is doing wrong! It is just like when I get upset at the LSU Tigers for not doing what I tell them to.

Whatever bone to pick I or one individual may have with the company (and many are/ could be legitimate, especially if you have been around long enough to have experienced transitions) over direction, or delivery times, selling/marketing model, or what models are produced, hardness, edge geo from the factory, etc etc; whatever issues/beefs may exist across so many transactions, experiences, changing manufacturing processes, and time does not change the actual experience-based performance of the overwhelming majority of knives or the company from a customer satisfaction standpoint.

Last edited:
Back