Destructive Knife Steel Testing . . .

Speaking of destructive testing, I finished Cliffs SHBM. I might have polished more than I needed to, just to take out all the damage cliff did to it. There was a lot of tiny rock dents in the side of the blade from dirt impacts and digging. The edge was ground to 10 dps/ 0.023 BTE by cliff(by my measurements). I convexed it. blended it into the finish. So a zero edge. It's pretty sharp. I have another one that has a 12dps V ground edge and it feels sharper. Maybe, it's the high polish grit that makes it feel duller, even though it's not.

9GIpK2V.jpg
BEAUTIFUL man!

Ok guys, so maybe this will fit in here. I know most if not all of you will think I'm retarded but... you are probably right.

So I did it again. I batoned something I shouldn't have and I didn't quite when I should have.

I am absolutely stoked to say the knife came out unbroken!!!!!!!!!

It is bent, but unbroken. That is HUGE for a survival knife and the esee's edge would have ripped out. (Ask me how I know)

Idk why I am so stubborn that I do things like this- I really didn't actually think it would be this hard to split as maple is relatively soft and there are no "knots" but I guess a burl is a lot more brutal than knots.

Also, in my defense, this is a little bit of what goes through my head. "If it breaks everyone will hate me... but what if it DOESNT!? It'll prove so much more than normal testing and it will be good!"

So anyways, I have a bent hells razor. I'll keep on testing and I'll likely attempt to test to failure in an at least semi practical way.

Not really unusual to see that degree of flex when batonning through knotty or burl wood with a Busse. Most often after that kind of thing, an INFI blade will return to true after extraction. What’s it look like now?

Ok guys, so maybe this will fit in here. I know most if not all of you will think I'm retarded but... you are probably right.

So I did it again. I batoned something I shouldn't have and I didn't quite when I should have.

I am absolutely stoked to say the knife came out unbroken!!!!!!!!!

It is bent, but unbroken. That is HUGE for a survival knife and the esee's edge would have ripped out. (Ask me how I know)

Idk why I am so stubborn that I do things like this- I really didn't actually think it would be this hard to split as maple is relatively soft and there are no "knots" but I guess a burl is a lot more brutal than knots.

Also, in my defense, this is a little bit of what goes through my head. "If it breaks everyone will hate me... but what if it DOESNT!? It'll prove so much more than normal testing and it will be good!"

So anyways, I have a bent hells razor. I'll keep on testing and I'll likely attempt to test to failure in an at least semi practical way.
It is amazing the force that a tree can exert on a piece of steel. You would think it would not be possible to bend and twist a thick piece of steel.

I can post it, it not only bent but also twisted so nearer the tip it's certainly tweaked

Lets see it. I watched the video a few times and at one point it almost looks like the blade might be doing an S before turning left. But it may just be an optical illusion.

Wow, the view of the knife in the wood is even better in this video. It looks like it took a small set, maybe 2 degrees. I wonder if the twist caused the set.
I would say so.

My handle scale is beat back out of shape again, so I'll take the rubber mallet to it again to get it flush.

Tbh I need to do this more often to get a better feel for what to expect but I am certain 1095 would have tore at the edge if differentials treated, or broken completely if not, if decently hard. Or taken a full goofy bend if soft.

Last edited:
I would say so.

My handle scale is beat back out of shape again, so I'll take the rubber mallet to it again to get it flush.

Tbh I need to do this more often to get a better feel for what to expect but I am certain 1095 would have tore at the edge if differentials treated, or broken completely if not, if decently hard. Or taken a full goofy bend if soft.

Agreed. 1095 at 59Rc would have snapped. Like a becker. Problem with wood it can be severe one moment and not so bad the next. But I would say, since that knife is already slightly bent, do it, a few more times to see how much torquing a blade can take. How much before it fails. That would be interesting.

Agreed. 1095 at 59Rc would have snapped. Like a becker. Problem with wood it can be severe one moment and not so bad the next. But I would say, since that knife is already slightly bent, do it, a few more times to see how much torquing a blade can take. How much before it fails. That would be interesting.
twist the guys arm to get him to use his awesome knifes why doncha? hahaha

Sure—it’s your knife. Do whatever makes you happy. I was just thinking that it doesn’t really tell you much to torque it further at this point or to take it to destruction, other than, “Yeah, that knife is definitely tough.” Which you’ve demonstrated already. Not really a test—just incidental damage. Which the warranty is meant to cover. 👍

Sure—it’s your knife. Do whatever makes you happy. I was just thinking that it doesn’t really tell you much to torque it further at this point or to take it to destruction, other than, “Yeah, that knife is definitely tough.” Which you’ve demonstrated already. Not really a test—just incidental damage. Which the warranty is meant to cover. 👍
My point of testing- much like with the Junglas 2 was, was to see what we can do from here.
The junglas 2's edge ripped severely but at that point we decided with Esee to try to break it and it was still dang near impossible-

The idea being that although hopefully a person wouldn't end up in this position in a survival situation for these reasons- if they DID end up with similar damage would the knife still be usable.

The J2 was still usable, but the HR2 more so. In fact with the basic tools I would have in the bush the bend would bother me mentally but practically would likely be irrelevant.

Back