Did your Traditional knife get a workout today? -Part II

In my neverending quest to find awesome cheap stuff, I picked up some slightly used, overseas made Schrades.

The trapper was new and it is ok, but the lumberjack has a ridiculous center rivet that pretty much guarantees I'll never carry it.

This whittler, however, is excellent. I used it to rough in these maple scales. There is a lot of sanding left to do, but I had fun so far.

20230314_193548.jpg

(This was actually yesterday)

I went to the hardware store last night to look for something lightweight to protect the gunwales of my boat, and found these vinyl siding trim pieces. Had to cut them in half to get them in the car. A thin utility knife would have been more appropriate for the task, but my EDC still did just fine. I’m going to clean up the ends with snips anyway. I did get sort of a bemused look from the contractor parked next to me…

PDjSUNc.jpg

Filet knife was junk so my bait knife was put up to the task. No sharpener in sight so do what ya gotta do. Did the job great. This is a Rough Rider put together from spare parts when I was doing my carbon blade swap on a blue jeans handle. Stainless blade, yellow handles and some practice fakeshaw etching. Tossed it together the day before we left just in case and after the trip it has proved itself to be a hard worker and has earned a spot in my work knife pile for sure.

My Bait Knife (2).jpg

Matt

The "fakeshaw" etching looks great. 👍
Wish I could draw that well. ☹️
Thanks!!! It was practice for the knife I gave my Mom but I couldnt throw it out when I was done so I put it back together and made a user/abuser out of it and couldnt be happier!!!! The other handle scale is blank and Im currently scheming on what to do with it.

Matt

Tugboat Francie cut a rose this morning for the farmhouse ghosts.
n0mHT7a.jpg

Just in case nobody believed post 3027, here's some more grapevine and honeysuckle.
JErZfNa.jpg

The main blade also mowed down the weeds in front of the midcentury modern cement settee I volunteer on at the farm. I'll have to take a phone pic next time.

Found a use for the parcel hook!
(opening the rings of this old fieldbook)
Pho15oC.jpg

I was taking some preliminary measurements and making a materials list for a possible upcoming kitchen remodel. I have no idea of what standard sizes are for these things, but I guess I will find out after a trip to the hardware store tomorrow…

And yes, my washing machine is in my +/- 9x11’ kitchen. That’s where the plumbing is for it, and in an 800 sq. ft. house, where else am I going to put it?

SAK Mini Champ's Wharncliffe Blade used too manufacture a new "hangit" hole in my belt. 😁👍
View attachment 2217207
Hole is just forward of the 3:00/15:00/R Hip belt loop. The SVORD (full size) Peasant will be hung from it. There is room for the SAK stainless steel belt loop, if/when I decide to move the Hercules from the rollator back to me belt.
Is there anything "wrong" with having 3 or 4 knives hanging from your belt?
Leatherman with accessories is toted just behind the 3:00/15:00/R Hip loop.
(two older holes are just behind the 1:00/13:00/RF Loop, above watch pocket and RF Pocket for hanging the (currently) Mini Champ and Douk Douk)

A knife clipped just forward of the 3:00/15:00/R Hip prevents the weight of the Leatherman from pulling the belt out of the loops forward of it, dropping the LM on the floor when using the small room.

Last edited:
Back