Do you trust your locking folder so much that you often grip it with your fingers in harms way?

Do you without fail, keep your fingers out from under the blade of a locking folder?

• always

Votes: 17 14.9%
  • sometimes

Votes: 11 9.6%
  • rarely or never

Votes: 18 15.8%
  • never even think about it

Votes: 68 59.6%

• Total voters
This question came up during the spine whacking thread. I'd said that for 18 years I used a stockman slip joint and that back then we all knew or learned the hard way, not to let our fingers be in the way in case the blade would close. I commented on how now many feel safe enough with a locking folder that they no longer keep their fingers out of the way. So far, I've not had a folder close up on me unexpectedly, but I know some have, rare as that may be. So, I thought I'd do a poll. How many still make sure they never put their fingers under where the blade could close and how many no longer worry about that and grip their knives with their whole hand with a firm wrap around grip. We see this demonstrated all the time in reviews as they show all the ways a knife can be held comfortably. I think folks who have never used slip joints without locks have forgotten this most basic safety routine or never had to practice it. I think many who did use them years ago, also have forgotten this and now grip their locking folders as though the lock would never fail. Now, I'm not talking about when you know you are really stressing the knife and take precautions, but just the everyday way we use our folders.

Editing this whole question:
Leo Greer said:
I think the question is somewhat illogical... if you always cut with the sharpened side of the blade, how would the lock ever fail in such a way as to close on your fingers? When I cut things, I use the sharp side and press down or away from myself, away from the lock. Anyone here cutting with the top edge of their folder? (I know some of y'all are :p)

So, I replied on page 8 or 9 of this thread,

Do you trust your locking folder so much that you often grip it with your fingers in harms way?​

I guess you are right, that is a strange question. It should have been something like, have you used locking folders for so long that you have forgotten what it is like when a slip joint would try to close on your fingers.

The poll came about because on another thread I mentioned that folks have been using locking folders for so long now that hardly anyone can remember that sometimes, when we were doing something with our slip joint that was out of the ordinary and where it might close on our fingers, that we would hold them with our fingers out of the way. Unfortunately, I didn't give all that information. Then someone came back with you should always use your knife properly and iirc, keep your fingers out of the way. But, most of the time, that is not even necessary. Or something like that. After all these comments, I can't even remember. But, I've liked this thread and again, sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm not understanding the question well, but I don't know how I'd actually cut some of the things I have to cut while holding the knife in a way that my fingers aren't in the path of the blade should it close?

And yes, I trust my folders that they won't close on me, compression lock and CBBL, those are plenty solid :)

Honestly I don't find my fingers getting in the way with how I use my folder, but I have thought it when I do something like a stabbing motion. I buy flippers for this reason because the tab will catch my fingers even if the lock fails, plus it kind of acts like a tiny guard.

Maybe I'm not understanding the question well, but I don't know how I'd actually cut some of the things I have to cut while holding the knife in a way that my fingers aren't in the path of the blade should it close?

And yes, I trust my folders that they won't close on me, compression lock and CBBL, those are plenty solid :)
I know what you are saying and I use mine the same way. But, years ago when I used a slip joint with no lock for about 18 years in a garage, I learned quickly never to let my fingers be in the way if the blade should close. I think many today never think about that anymore now that locking folders are so common. It's a bit like many kids never learned how to drive a car with a manual transmission and a clutch since automatics have become almost the norm today.

The reason I started the pole is because I was given a safety lesson on the spine wacking thread for not being safety minded and allowing my fingers to be in the way should my lock ever fail. I understand this, but rarely if ever worry about it.

I know what you are saying and I use mine the same way. But, years ago when I used a slip joint with no lock for about 18 years in a garage, I learned quickly never to let my fingers be in the way if the blade should close. I think many today never think about that anymore now that locking folders are so common. It's a bit like many kids never learned how to drive a car with a manual transmission and a clutch since automatics have become almost the norm today.

The reason I started the pole is because I was given a safety lesson on the spine wacking thread for not being safety minded and allowing my fingers to be in the way should my lock ever fail. I understand this, but rarely if ever worry about it.

I think everyone got that part, but how are you holding your knife so that your fingers aren't in the way if the blade closes? Are you pinching the handle with just the tips of your fingers?

My fingers are always in harms way when i use a folder short of pinching up on the spine to make an exact cut. it's the reason the handle goes all the way around and generally has some sort of finger groove right along the channel where the blade nests when it closes. If I'm using a folding knife, then I am doing my best to use it so that pressure is put AGAINST the edge. The lock is just there for those times when I bump it or bang it a bit while making an awkward cut.

I think everyone got that part, but how are you holding your knife so that your fingers aren't in the way if the blade closes? Are you pinching the handle with just the tips of your fingers?
The only reason I even did this pole was to show that hardly anyone, except those who still use slip joints, keep their fingers out of the way in case a blade were to close. I got a safety lesson because another member said you must know how to safely use a knife that could close unexpectedly. I believe very few using locking folders even think about this anymore. So much so, that it is nearly impossible to find a photo of anyone even holding a slip joint with their fingers out of the way, like we all used to back when locking folders were a rarity. The only photo I could find was of someone holding a fixed blade with his fingers out of the way of the blade. I don't think anyone even worries about this anymore and just wanted to show that with a pole.

When I use a slipjoint, I don't usually grip it in a way that puts my fingers in the path of the blade. But sometimes I have to get a better grip on it for control, and so when I do, I am just careful not to do anything that could put downward force on the blade that would cause it to collapse. I think the same should apply to a locking folder. Be mindful of your fingers within reason, yes. But also don't use the knife in a way that puts pressure on the lock. Because as unlikely as it may be, it can fail.

Some people also like to place their thumb on the side of the blade and push sideways on it as a measure to hold it so that it won't collapse. I'm not sure if that's a good idea with some locks, especially if there is any play in the blade or flex in the handle.

Back