DPx HEST Folder Blade Setting

Status
Not open for further replies.

RYP

Some of you have commented on the blade sitting about .25 to.5 of a mm high and exposing the tip even though it is protected by the frame.

This is a function of two things. One is the sharpening and the other is a slightly thicker pin installed. DPx Gear is making the decision to install a different pin in the production models to adjust the blade height after sharpening. This will delay shipping a few days but address this concern.

On the LE models for those folks who want their blade set lower, we are happy to offer LE owners a free domestic service to replace the pin if requested. We can either send it out to you or you can send the HEST in to us and we will pay the standard postage both ways. Its pretty easy to install a pin and its fun to see your HEST laid open but we are also eager to see how our family uses their blade. As always if anyone is unhappy with their product in any way we are pleased to refund your money and find an eager new home for your HEST.

What I would suggest is to use your HEST, beat it up a little, get used to it and then send it us for a free sharpening, pin swap and a general technical service reach around to make sure your DPx HEST folder is in fine form. If you are keeping it pristine then no worries we will send an address label to you with postage when we are ready.

This offer has no time limit so you don't have to be in a hurry. Enjoy the knife and continue to give us your input.

We will notify the owners directly via email and those that are overseas or busy know they can get a free tune up and sharpen whenever they are ready.

:thumbup::thumbup:

Can't beat this kind of service. RYP, can you send me a replacement pin? I would like to replace mine when I have it.

Well done Robert. Great decision and I applaud you for the promptness in reaching it before this became a bigger issue. This is a great display of outstanding service and care that I know is only a precursor to all the other great products on the way. Now..........get my LE #97 in the mail please. :)

Was this missed during inspection of the two hundred and fifty LE models?

I don't see the blade postion being a problem, it is such a small gap I see no issue here.

Damn now that is some Customer Service....I can't believe that I missed out on one of these...I'm truly pissed at myself for this...

Good show Robert on the Customer Service...

Wow, someone trying to stir the pot. Imagine that.

I assume we should contact DPx for the replacement pins?

It's like BMW coming out with a new car, Norbert Reithofer stating that he has personally inspected the 10,000 productions, and then receiving your car with the hood not able to close all the way.

I don't see the blade postion being a problem, it is such a small gap I see no issue here.
If you don't actually plan to use the knife, it won't be a problem. I can tell you from experience that this will cause problems. I've owned two blades in the past that had this problem and both were a nightmare. Both blades had handles like the hest/f that rise up and would make you think that it wouldn't be an issue. Doesn't matter, the tip still got caught on shit all the time.

Well that sounds fair to me. I was concerned when I learned about the issue but since it is being addressed I am satisfied.

I really hate to be a whiny little bitch about this, but a smaller stop pin is going to cause a later lockup.

So, whats worse?

I really hate to be a whiny little bitch about this, but a smaller stop pin is going to cause a later lockup.

So, whats worse?

No, he will just have to use the smaller stop pin, but re-manufacture all the scales in order to place the pin in such a position that it does not change the lockup. It will only take another ~4-9 months. :rolleyes:

Actually the blade tip protrusion is worse.

"Was this missed during inspection of the two hundred and fifty LE models?"

not at all. I am just responding to members of DPx Gear family who are concerned about this. Those that aren't concerned still get a free sharpen, tune up and technical reach around whenever they want it. When you buy an LE model or even a regular model we listen.

I hate it when manufacturers pretend I am stupid and try to make me look like an ass for bringing up something. Round here, we take care of you and your product..even if the customer is an ass :))

The original proto had a slightly different pin and sat lower so we are just correcting a correction that didn't need to be corrected.

EDIT. I might have deleted someone's post by mistake. My apologies if I did. Its early.

If you don't actually plan to use the knife, it won't be a problem. I can tell you from experience that this will cause problems. I've owned two blades in the past that had this problem and both were a nightmare. Both blades had handles like the hest/f that rise up and would make you think that it wouldn't be an issue. Doesn't matter, the tip still got caught on shit all the time.

I will be using this knife everyday and from the size of the gap it will not be an issue for me. I would rather have a larger stop pin for the blade to rest on than worry about the blade gap. The way the handle wraps around the blade guards most of the tip and I can barely stick my fingernail in the gap. At least RYP is stepping up to address the problem for those who are concerned.

"Was this missed during inspection of the two hundred and fifty LE models?"

not at all. I am just responding to members of DPx Gear family who are concerned about this. Those that aren't concerned still get a free sharpen, tune up and technical reach around whenever they want it. When you buy an LE model or even a regular model we listen.

I hate it when manufacturers pretend I am stupid and try to make me look like an ass for bringing up something. Round here, we take care of you and your product..even if you are an ass :))

I appreciate the free service that you are offering to everyone but if you did notice it during inspection, why didn't you have it changed then? I mean, how many +$100 folders do you see that have the blade not fully enclosed by the scales?

I thought I made the point that the point on the HEST does not automatically sticking up but depending on the docking, stiffness, sharpening and use it can can sit high. I have knives here that do not have the same setting point.

As I said those that are concerned can have their knives modified so it sits lower. Those that are concerned by this have our offer to rectify their concerns and will get direct written instructions.

As for those who wax poetic about other knives I can't comment but I can only restate that the regular production will be modified before shipping and the LE owners will be send a direct notice with instructions and a box. If they are fine with the knife the way it is we are providing an unlimited time for them to enjoy their HEST and take advantage of the offer.

I thought I made the point that the point on the HEST does not automatically sticking up but depending on the docking, stiffness, sharpening and use it can can sit high. I have knives here that do not have the same setting point.

As I said those that are concerned can have their knives modified so it sits lower. Those that are concerned by this have our offer to rectify their concerns and will get direct written instructions.

As for those who wax poetic about other knives I can't comment but I can only restate that the regular production will be modified before shipping and the LE owners will be send a direct notice with instructions and a box. If they are fine with the knife the way it is we are providing an unlimited time for them to enjoy their HEST and take advantage of the offer.
Ok, I thought that all the knives were like that and that there was a specific reason for it.

Reflex: I think he said a few days extra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back