ECA upscale 7....boring, noting but another tweaked 7B

Anyone else want to see anything from Emerson besides a re tweaked 7B over and over and over again ?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

greenstickynote

Gold Member
Ernie promised a minimum 1 new eca knife per year (that's an ECA knife not all the special 7s over and over again). When he finally gets around to releasing an ECA knife it's just tweaking a plain old 7B yet AGAIN !!!! Something with some imagination might be nice next time. Yeah there are new production knives BUT those aren't ECA knives !

I hear your dissapointment, but there are more 7 fans than you can shake a stick at. Many collector savor every flavor of the Iconic 7. The limited number, dual Titanium liners, and the heavy duty G10, like on my XHD Karambit, was enough for me to say: "I'll take it." I see collecting Emersons as a long game. It took two years until I landed a Mini A. Here's hoping you get what you want...Eventually.

I'm referring to the ECA upscale 7B thatvreleased today

Have a link? I just went to EKI, they had a special on the 8 but couldn't see anything new on the front page or at their cqc-7 section. Gotta say there are a few sevens there I am eyeing.

Have a link? I just went to EKI, they had a special on the 8 but couldn't see anything new on the front page or at their cqc-7 section. Gotta say there are a few sevens there I am eyeing.

This was a collectors association knife so you have to be a member to get notification about them. I passed on this one since I have a few 7s already but it does have a few nice features. The dual ti liners and the wider blade of the HD 7. Definitely cool but not enough to make me want one.

Ah, gotcha, thanks. Still new to the Emersons. What's the collectors' association? Order of the black shamrock?

The ECA & OBS are 2 completely different entities. The ECA is just what is says, and cost nothing to join.

The ECA is a one time $50 cost. You get a certificate, a t shirt, and a one time 15% discount coupon. The real value is the ability to register for the twice a year custom lottery, eligibility for purchasing the limited edition annual ECA knife, as well as advance notice for purchase to ECA members of limited availability knives. Those knives are often sold out by the time they become availability to the general public. If you love Emerson Knives, an ECA Membership is a must have.

OBS is about character, honor, and commitment. All information is on their web site.

I agree. The ECA CQC7 was a nothing release, I have a dual titanium 7. Not zero ground, no micarta, nothing special. As far as EKI being a long game in collecting I disagree. Ernie said the KACK was a ONE TIME RELEASE. You had to preorder to get one. There was no limit and he made as many KACKs as he received orders. Fast forward one year and guess what he's releasing again? The KACK, shocking. Now the one NIB I have won't be worth much. I waited years for a KACK release and was lead to believe I was buying a one time thing. Nope

I feel the aftershock or phalanx calling... maybe I should join the ECA and get that at the same time. Well, I'll see what the $$$ situation is.

There is no new ground being broken with the 2017 ECA CQC7, but its noteworthy for having the .0625" ti liners. Those are the same spec as his original custom knives. Add in the thicker 'grippy' handles, and you have a pretty nice version at $225 shipped. Only 70 made (at least for now). If you are a "collector", that is a tempting mix of characteristics.

Last edited:
Sorry bro there's nothing collectible about the ECA production 7. Ernie keeps saying he has hundreds of designs and after years of nothing for ECA he hands out a production 7, "But it has thick G10". Yes, one of the complaints isEKI uses sandpaper for handle scales so let's double thick that.

I totally agree with your "at least for now" comment. A year or two down the road these will be a thing "Only available to ECA members in the past!"

I think you have to know the history in order to decide. In the 26 years that Ernie has been making CQC7s, the only ones prior to these that had twin ti liners of this thickness were full custom knives. Put differently, in the 20 years of making production knives, Ernie has never made a prodo CQC7 with them. He's never made a prodo 7 with the extra thick scales that gave the '98 Commanders a better feel in the hand either. And, as of today, there are only 70 in the world built this way.

If you go back and look, almost none of the ECA knives are new designs - they are remakes of older knives brought back with modern upscale features. You can bemoan the fact that this year's knife is not 'new under the sun' too, but its still more than just another 7.

I don't see the newest offering as overly collectible. If nothing else I see it as a production yet to come. Eki has done that with the Tiger and the KACK. And pretty much any other knife they have made outside of the zero grinds. A one/done run of 60, now back again. In less than a year.

Make a production 6. And see how that sells, but where are the unique designs?

You can bet this will be the same way. Therefore not collectible. And incidentally who has serial numbers below 7? Where are they? Who has them? Why? I preordered multiple kacks when it was supposed to be one run of 69. Who has serial numbers lower than 7/9????

Eca used to have those too, prototypes, true low numbers, now you get a shirt.

When you look at some of the past ECA knives and offerings they were unique in true ways. One offs, hand ground, zero ground. Persian, HMMV, Azek Marud, immediately come to mind.

Which brings me to the lottery, you get drawn, and Ernie puts your names back on top of the pile for yet another shot? Really? Let the rest of the folks have a crack that are in there.

Agreed. And I'm well aware of the 7 history. If you think the ECA marking or a thick slab of G10 are awesome sauce then eat up. Many of us were drawn to EKI because we didn't want to settle for good enough and it appeared EKI didn't want to, either. This recent ECA offering is nothing new, it's not even "good enough". Ernie keeps saying he has hundreds of designs and I believe him. Not all are practical for true production runs but I'm willing to bet they'd be practical for the ECA.

But hey if just okay is your jam have at it. Maybe next years ECA knife will be a Commander with, wait for it, COLOR SCALES! Or look back at past ECA offerings and get a feel for what it once was.

There is no reason that upscale shouldn't be the standard generation of the 7 at this point. Thicker liners and a nicer texture.

Nothing wrong with the regular 7, but it kinda makes you wonder. . .

Also makes you a little jealous.

It would be interesting if Emerson made a "sheepdog" version with thicker titanium and upgraded steel; then leave the current version for its intended military purpose. Then again, I think that's why he made a knife with ZT.

Back