EDC Fixed Blades, Sheaths, & Carry Methods (Traditional)

How come I'm just seeing this thread now? I'm not drinking enough coffee in the mornings I guess.

Anyhoo. making and carrying small fixed blades is just what I do and have for couple decades plus now. Years ago I switched from a folder to a small fixed blade. I was cowboyin and traveling and putting on horsemanship clinics. I was very aware of the limitations (safety wise) of most traditional vertical sheaths horseback. I was given a small fixed blade as a birthday present and thought it was just about right to carry horseback. Except the sheath was terrible. Looked like they took some big rig truck tire tread found on the freeway, folded it up and riveted it together. Ya turned it upside down and the knife fell out. So I started designing sheaths to wear horseback. Another piviotal moment in my sheath designing was watching my then girlfriend later wife getting bucked off one time. Her knife came flying out and landed in the dirt. Three jumps alter she did too, fortunately, not landing on her knife. That incident really got me looking at retention in a sheath. Been working on it ever since. Ya don't have to be a working cowboy and topping off that cold backed bronc early in the morning and then long trotting the outside circle to appreciate these designs. They can be handy if ya do anything more active than walking to the mailbox. Lil bragging. I have a friend that has quite a few of my knives and sheaths. A former A lister he writes for outdoor/gun magazines these days. Years ago he went down and interviewed Bob Loveless for an article. He was wearing one of my Rodeo models and a Slot and Loop sheath. He walks in to Bob's shop and Bob immediately asks to see his knife. He looks at it for a while and says this guy knows what he's doing, I could help him a lil with his grinding if he wants. He then has my friend take the sheath off his belt and looks at it. He examined it for an hour according to my friend. He handed it back saying: "This is the best designed and executed sheath for active use I have ever seen." This is cool coming from a legend. Interesting from the sheath making side too, as the style of welt that I use in the sheaths to help with retention is known as a Loveless Welt. Bob was using the idea of a cam as part of the welt, that the knife had to ride over to get into and out of the sheath.

Anyhoo enough of that. Ya don't even have to have one of my knives for these sheaths. I make them all the time for other makers knives. Its a large part of our deal. Got one drying on the counter right now. here's a few pics:

eE5tSwi.jpg

KFDDmIl.jpg

qiPDLbt.jpg

ITFh1vN.jpg

88xkxgZ.jpg

lIlR1Ig.jpg

VRbDyog.jpg

k201NXN.jpg

asAhbnd.jpg

8hGdbrK.jpg

The inside of one showing the Loveless Welt:

QwmRXR2.jpg

To get into what I call the bed of the sheath (where the knife rests) it has to ride up and over the cam or lump of that welt. Same on the withdraw. Generally working on several at a time:

pXVHLYU.jpg

Out of the way, unobtrusive and handy. Reachable with either hand this way:

fvd6eWB.jpg

Some in use:

IMsvZNX.jpg

2RvfayC.jpg

EJw6jEJ.jpg

v6GZ8ho.jpg

I5iXxHM.jpg

6tZ6J2t.jpg

I made this older Slot and Loop sheath probably before Misty here was born. She was cleaning an older lady's house and bought it and the Anza knife from her.

bkgVmfE.jpg

Anyhoo time to go feed.

How come I'm just seeing this thread now? I'm not drinking enough coffee in the mornings I guess.

Anyhoo. making and carrying small fixed blades is just what I do and have for couple decades plus now. Years ago I switched from a folder to a small fixed blade. I was cowboyin and traveling and putting on horsemanship clinics. I was very aware of the limitations (safety wise) of most traditional vertical sheaths horseback. I was given a small fixed blade as a birthday present and thought it was just about right to carry horseback. Except the sheath was terrible. Looked like they took some big rig truck tire tread found on the freeway, folded it up and riveted it together. Ya turned it upside down and the knife fell out. So I started designing sheaths to wear horseback. Another piviotal moment in my sheath designing was watching my then girlfriend later wife getting bucked off one time. Her knife came flying out and landed in the dirt. Three jumps alter she did too, fortunately, not landing on her knife. That incident really got me looking at retention in a sheath. Been working on it ever since. Ya don't have to be a working cowboy and topping off that cold backed bronc early in the morning and then long trotting the outside circle to appreciate these designs. They can be handy if ya do anything more active than walking to the mailbox. Lil bragging. I have a friend that has quite a few of my knives and sheaths. A former A lister he writes for outdoor/gun magazines these days. Years ago he went down and interviewed Bob Loveless for an article. He was wearing one of my Rodeo models and a Slot and Loop sheath. He walks in to Bob's shop and Bob immediately asks to see his knife. He looks at it for a while and says this guy knows what he's doing, I could help him a lil with his grinding if he wants. He then has my friend take the sheath off his belt and looks at it. He examined it for an hour according to my friend. He handed it back saying: "This is the best designed and executed sheath for active use I have ever seen." This is cool coming from a legend. Interesting from the sheath making side too, as the style of welt that I use in the sheaths to help with retention is known as a Loveless Welt. Bob was using the idea of a cam as part of the welt, that the knife had to ride over to get into and out of the sheath.

Anyhoo enough of that. Ya don't even have to have one of my knives for these sheaths. I make them all the time for other makers knives. Its a large part of our deal. Got one drying on the counter right now. here's a few pics:

eE5tSwi.jpg

KFDDmIl.jpg

qiPDLbt.jpg

ITFh1vN.jpg

88xkxgZ.jpg

lIlR1Ig.jpg

VRbDyog.jpg

k201NXN.jpg

asAhbnd.jpg

8hGdbrK.jpg

The inside of one showing the Loveless Welt:

QwmRXR2.jpg

To get into what I call the bed of the sheath (where the knife rests) it has to ride up and over the cam or lump of that welt. Same on the withdraw. Generally working on several at a time:

pXVHLYU.jpg

Out of the way, unobtrusive and handy. Reachable with either hand this way:

fvd6eWB.jpg

Some in use:

IMsvZNX.jpg

2RvfayC.jpg

EJw6jEJ.jpg

v6GZ8ho.jpg

I5iXxHM.jpg

6tZ6J2t.jpg

I made this older Slot and Loop sheath probably before Misty here was born. She was cleaning an older lady's house and bought it and the Anza knife from her.

bkgVmfE.jpg

Anyhoo time to go feed.

Interesting notes about that loveless welt, great pictures!

Great pics, Dave, and I'll add my recommendation for his sheaths. I sent him a favorite skinner of mine (Western L88) to mold a sheath around, and it is perfect. Fits in the small of the back and still easily reachable for quick use.

gfNtfcG.jpg

DFJtwg8.jpg

It matches nicely the belt and holster for my usual outdoor rig with an S&W 29-2.

6XOXBO5.jpeg

Great pics, Dave, and I'll add my recommendation for his sheaths. I sent him a favorite skinner of mine (Western L88) to mold a sheath around, and it is perfect. Fits in the small of the back and still easily reachable for quick use.

gfNtfcG.jpg

DFJtwg8.jpg

It matches nicely the belt and holster for my usual outdoor rig with an S&W 29-2.

6XOXBO5.jpeg
Wow it does match! Looks like I made the whole outfit!

Last edited:
Dave, I have another holster for a single action Ruger in black basket weave that even has the matching white stitching. The holster without the white for the 29-2 came with the revolver.

I know this is not a fixed blade, but I often use this leather lanyard to carry my knives with bails. The lanyard fits on my leather belt and the knife will dangle into either my front or rear pocket depending on how I want to carry it.
XHyuRb1.jpg

Last edited:
I love the passion in your work Dave. Top notch as always. Thanks for sharing the inside (literally) scoop on how you have designed yours!
Thank you sir and you bet!

Dave, I have another holster for a single action Ruger in black basket weave that even has the matching white stitching. The holster without the white for the 29-2 came with the revolver.
Gotcha. The other clue on the holster is that its sewn together at the bottom. I think I've done that once. I prefer it open.
I often use this leather lanyard to carry my knives with bails. The lanyard fits on my leather belt and the knife will dangle into either my front or rear pocket depending on how I want to carry it.
XHyuRb1.jpg
A great idea Trav!

I'm late to contribute to this party, but I do come packing steel šŸ˜ Great thread idea McD! You've hit the nail on the head with fixed blades *and sheaths* and I had considered such a thread myself.
Fixed blades are wonderful! They are less expensive and sturdier than equivalent folding knives, quicker to whip out one-handed and easier to keep clean. But each and every one is useless without a sheath to carry it, and even the best FB will languish in my drawer without a good sheath. I'll be taking pictures of mine as I carry them, and including pictures of the sheaths and comments on what has/hasn't worked for me and why.
I must remark that it is far easier to find a good fixed blade than it is a good sheath, for me anyways. Everyone seems to have their own sheath/carry preferences and no one thing will work for everyone. I'm left handed, so very few FB's come with a sheath I will want to keep long term, and traditionals open upside-down for me. It's hard work being superior :cool:

2oCSK02h.jpg

GELpP6eh.jpg

Monday's carry, a Lishen knives "Orson" in AEB-L paired with my 29. The stock sheath for the Orson is a very simple pancake with an integral belt loop. Although it carries very flat and is ambi, it dangles a bit low and retention is barely adequate, if I go down on my bicycle or I'm working upside down I risk it falling out, very dangerous and could also damage a favorite tool. Safety demands I look for another sheath.

0EkWxNOh.jpg

eY8I6JDh.jpg

Tuesday I paired this Stonehocker "Spike" in Cpm CruWear with my 86cl. Pocket carry in my all-time favorite pocket sheath, the "Ambi" from Ryan@Failsafe_goods
This sheath provides the perfect balance of retention (knife and sheath will never leave pocket unintentionally under any circumstances) and draw-ability. I can still pull it out one handed in a hurry.

I myself prefer pocket carry in a sheath w/ pocket clip for fixed blades, almost always in the left leg tool pocket of Carhartts. I belt carry more often, but this is due mainly to the repellent effect a visible knife has on our local population of ne'er-do-wells. Funny, because most of my tiny knives would be terrible weapons, but they are still enough to keep me from being classified as "low hanging fruit".

I like dangler sheaths. This one can be threaded through one's belt or can use the dangler. Also, the brass carabiner style fastener can be removed (I have some spring-loaded and some that must be pried apart) and the dangler put aside. When using a dangler, one can retrieve the knife from any awkward position, especially sitting. Maybe it goes without saying that I also like Nordic pattern fixed-blade knives. These knives are perhaps a little bigger than the little guys mostly in this thread. I like those also, but even the smaller ones go on my belt.

View attachment 2553857View attachment 2553859View attachment 2553860

I'm late to contribute to this party, but I do come packing steel šŸ˜ Great thread idea McD! You've hit the nail on the head with fixed blades *and sheaths* and I had considered such a thread myself.
Fixed blades are wonderful! They are less expensive and sturdier than equivalent folding knives, quicker to whip out one-handed and easier to keep clean. But each and every one is useless without a sheath to carry it, and even the best FB will languish in my drawer without a good sheath. I'll be taking pictures of mine as I carry them, and including pictures of the sheaths and comments on what has/hasn't worked for me and why.
I must remark that it is far easier to find a good fixed blade than it is a good sheath, for me anyways. Everyone seems to have their own sheath/carry preferences and no one thing will work for everyone. I'm left handed, so very few FB's come with a sheath I will want to keep long term, and traditionals open upside-down for me. It's hard work being superior :cool:

2oCSK02h.jpg

GELpP6eh.jpg

Monday's carry, a Lishen knives "Orson" in AEB-L paired with my 29. The stock sheath for the Orson is a very simple pancake with an integral belt loop. Although it carries very flat and is ambi, it dangles a bit low and retention is barely adequate, if I go down on my bicycle or I'm working upside down I risk it falling out, very dangerous and could also damage a favorite tool. Safety demands I look for another sheath.

0EkWxNOh.jpg

eY8I6JDh.jpg

Tuesday I paired this Stonehocker "Spike" in Cpm CruWear with my 86cl. Pocket carry in my all-time favorite pocket sheath, the "Ambi" from Ryan@Failsafe_goods
This sheath provides the perfect balance of retention (knife and sheath will never leave pocket unintentionally under any circumstances) and draw-ability. I can still pull it out one handed in a hurry.

I myself prefer pocket carry in a sheath w/ pocket clip for fixed blades, almost always in the left leg tool pocket of Carhartts. I belt carry more often, but this is due mainly to the repellent effect a visible knife has on our local population of ne'er-do-wells. Funny, because most of my tiny knives would be terrible weapons, but they are still enough to keep me from being classified as "low hanging fruit".

That's an interesting pocket clip, do you happen to know what brand it is?

2oCSK02h.jpg

GELpP6eh.jpg

0EkWxNOh.jpg

eY8I6JDh.jpg

Yessirā€¦Iā€™ve been waiting for this contribution. Love the sheath on the Stonehocker. And I definitely agree - finding a sheath for an edc is the loftier task at hand.

Iā€™m headed out camping next week and eager to have fun with the Cudeman.

Have a great one!

New knife, new gloves, good day!

This one from Blasted Hill is a bit different from my others, it's very short and has a plastic sheath that fits nicely into my watch pocket. It's a great way to carry it.

Just a simple fold over oil tan leather sheath to carry this one.

This Russell is a great blade. I have one that is just for leather work, one that i turned into a friction folder and this is the latest and will be the beater since I'm not happy with how the maple turned out.

Back