EDC II Which knife or knives are you carrying today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Manix 2 today sporting a new sheath from Wicekleather... He does great work!
photo-3.jpg

We tried to avoid this young rattlesnake but unfortunately nailed it with our sprinter van leaving a test at Barber Motorsports Park. Since I have only encountered one rattler before this one we circled back to look at it. After making sure it was "really dead" I grabbed my Case single bladed sowbelly and opened its mouth to see it's fangs. Sorry if it is morbid but I had to check it out.Even though it was small it had really long fangs.....
Nathan
8760099517_f134d3f10b_b.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

You want to be very careful messing with "dead" rattlers that still have their head attached. Way back in 1960 I encountered a big rattler. I had just heard a forest ranger speak about how rattlers will strike even after they are dead, so with some help from a friend, we held the snake's head down with a strong stick and I cut its head off with my Solingen hunting knife (which was sadly lost while trying to get a frozen shotgun to fire at a REALLY big whitetail about 12 years later). Then I put my foot on the tail end of the snake and a buddy put his on the head end (minus the head as I said), and I proceeded to skin the critter. I slit him up the belly and then just pulled the skin off. In the process, the head end came free of my friend's foot and that snake, without skin or head, struck me on the leg hard enough that it almost knocked me down. If the head had still been on the snake he would have got me for sure!

It was 53 years ago, but that old knife definitely got a workout that day.

8760423953_009ca4bbe0_b.jpg

My latest EDC fixedblade,Spyderco Southard,Leatherman Mini tool and Micra.

Attachments

• PICT0015.jpg
    PICT0015.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
I never know if I will ever see another rattler, but I will definitely keep what you said in the back of my mind if I do. I think I will just leave them alone....

Nathan

You want to be very careful messing with "dead" rattlers ...

ive heard tell of the very phenomenon you are describing. a dead snake can continue to squirm for quite a while after its killed and i reckon this squirming could result in a bite. the old-time myth is that 'a dead snake can still bite you until sundown'.

on topic;
saw a non-venomous black snake in the yard yesterday. it had a huge lump in its middle just about the size of the chipmunk i saw running around earlier. since black snakes are not poisonous and in fact some of them will kill and eat other snakes (including the poisonous ones) i decided not to hit it with one of these;
IMG_13271.jpg

Been awhile since I posted here, today it's the new small Sebenza 21 I got a couple of months ago and my Spyderco FRN Mini-Dyad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back