EDC Passaround

It bit'cha...it's yours clich. :cool:
I relinquish my dibs of the Funky one to the bloody fingered one.

Ill let you two work it out! Mykel had first dibs, Clich tainted it. Either way, 50.00 to the winner. Fair?

Thanks mykel. I appreciate it. And thanks for the deal chris. When its all done I would def like to have her back

Thanks mykel. I appreciate it. And thanks for the deal chris. When its all done I would def like to have her back
Grats clich,thats a hell of a deal.:thumbup:
You be careful with it now.;)

A knife arrived at my house today from somewhere in PA. At first I was like "did I forget I ordered another one?" Then I thought it looked familiar and it dawned on my. It's a Funky EDC.

First impressions were that I didn't like the shape of the handle. I have big hands with "short fat sausage fingers" as my Wife calls them. I then handled the knife and found it to be really comfortable. After whittling slivers of paper from a sticky, I liked it even more.

There's some nice patina forming on the blade. Not sure if it's from blood or other substances.... ;)

I'm going to try and get out this week to give it a good run through. Can't wait to play around with it. Currently I'm admiring this really nice sheath....good leather always makes a good knife even better IMHO!

Yeah Mudbug, its a little different looking for sure. I used it for a bit and found it very comfortable to use. I can't wait to get it back and see the patina and how the Osage has darkened.

I still have a write up to complete. sorry for the delay. Ive just been swamped with work an school. I promise ill get around to it

Well I finally got a few extra minutes today to play with the Funky EDC. I have to say, it surpassed my expectations. For a little blade, this baby can get some work done!

I started out with a piece of white oak that has been seasoned in my wood pile for at least 3 years. This stuff is very hard and I wanted to see how the knife would perform. I nearly whittled the end off this piece of wood. When I got done the blade was noticeably duller, but it would still shave hair.

DSCN2186.jpg

Once I tired of whittling (there was some had fatigue involved), I went in and found some sisal rope about 3/8th dia and proceeded to cut it at 90 degree angles. I soon tired of that and then went at an angle shaving individual threads of sisal off of the rope. After that the blade would not shave hair even though the edge still felt good.

DSCN2190.jpg

So I started whittling on a piece of scrap leather and it would slice off some thin slivers. I then skived smaller slivers off of the leather and eventually the blade dulled to where it was obvious that the blade needed touched up.

DSCN2192.jpg

So I grabbed my Razors Edge System stone and hit the blade about 15 to 20 licks and a nice hair shaving edge reappeared. After it was sharpened, I started fooling around seeing how small of a sliver of leather I could cut...

DSCN2194.jpg

Company arrived so I had to stop playing...ummm....I mean "RESEARCHING" ;). I looked down when I started to leave my workbench and noticed several specks of blood on my arm where I'd been shaving hair. Guess the Funky EDC drew blood again.....

DSCN2196.jpg

Overall, I enjoyed foolin' around with this knife. I was hoping to get test it out on cleaning a pig, but those rascals were not in a cooperating mood. The thumb ramp really helped the functionality of this blade. I might put some shallow jimping on it to help hold your thumb in place.

I don't know if Chris does his own heat treating or sends it off, but it was obvious that the heat treating was spot on with this 1095 blade!

The handle geometry didn't lend itself to long periods of hard use, at least in my hands. But I understand as it wasn't designed as a bush craft knife. I think for what it was designed for (an edc that gets used), you would have to look hard and long to find another knife that would outwork this knife for the amount of money you paid. I'd darn near say it couldn't be done!

One other thing. Since I'm infatuated with leather sheaths, I took a good close look at the construction of this one. I loved it however deep inside there is a pretty good cut in the leather between the bottom of the leaf and the top of the acorn. Other than that, the sheath is put together very well and it compliments this great knife!

Last edited:
Thanks for the review Donald! its coming back to me now. I emailed you the address. Hopefully the camp knife will be next up. What do you think about the amount of tester's?

As for the amount of testers, looks like it took about 2 months to make the rounds between 8 people. I like the fact that I got to see it after everyone else had a chance to play with it. It showed me that it could stand up to hard use (and maybe a wee bit of abuse ;) ). I also like how the Osage Orange scales have darkened and the patina on the blade. I think around 8 testers is about right, give or take a few. Which ever knife you decide to send out, put me at the end of the list again please!

BTW, do you do your own heat treating or send it out? I mean really, I have a few custom and a few production 1095 knives and I think that Funky EDC can hold an edge as good as any of them and way better than a couple of 'em!

Thanks Donald, will do. I do my own heat treat. I pretty much do exactly what Bill taught me with a few minor tweaks. I do all of mine with a propane forge with a pyrometer and thermocouple to control the heat. I thought about getting an oven but I can keep the temp in the forge at temp +/- 5 degrees all day long. If I start doing O1 or stainless Ill get an oven.

So clich gave dibs back to me,thanks dude.And thank you Chris,that's a heck of a deal at 50.00 bucks.
I love the well used look of the Osage too.
And I say no need to reprofile for a guard,I'm aware of the potential for getting bit & accept the risk,but you might as well put 'em on future orders.
I know you're busy with the remodel,work & orders so no rush getting it to me,(I'm still waiting for my tax return)I'll have the Bushpik soon anyhoo.
And thanks again for the pass around,it was great to be able to participate & I look forward doing some chopping with the Camp Knife.(if I can get in on that pass around also)
And thanks to everyone that participated & showed the funky one some love & helped brake it in for me,
it was great to see the pics & hear your thoughts on it.

Next...THE KFU CAMP KNIFE!!:eek: :cool: :cross fingers:

Back