EDC - What's in Your Pocket(s)??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Left front: Newports
Right Front: Zippo, Spyderco Almite Navigator (which actually I have on a passaround right now otherwise it's a Spyderco Delica or Benchmade 31 Balisong), pen and car keys (which is a balisong only the blade is the actual key).
Left back: $$$, liscense, cards
Inside pocket of leather jacket on left: Cell Phone
Right pocket of jacket: change and house key

UnknownVT, I wouldn't know how to use my knife in a defense position or for fighting. If that situation arises, I guess I'll respond accordingly, whatever that may be The knives I carry are simply tools of everyday life. They are used daily. Just my lifestyle I guess.
Tom

Looks like I'll have to update my list, since I got some new goodies. :)

Shirt pocket: Marlboro Reds
(Carpenter jeans) RF pocket: Leatherman Micra on paracord lanyard, and either a BM 910 Stryker or 550 Griptilian. Also could hold one of a couple Delta Z linerlocks.
RR pocket: Cheapy leather wallet, sometimes a second linerlock.
Right "Nail" pocket: Motorola V120 phone
LF pocket: Streamlight Stylus with white LED's, loose change, magnetic leather money clip with not enough green in it, and one of several zippos. Currently it's the carbon fiber one.
LR pocket: normally empty, but occasionally a Leatherman SuperTool.
Belt area: Either a Surefire G2 or Inova X5 in a vertical nylon sheath. Car keys carabinered to one belt loop, and a Cross Ion pen clipped to another.

edc%20gear%20small.jpg

I think my pants are getting too heavy.

-Parke1

Todays carry:

Right Change pocket: Benchmade 556

Keychain: Key chain SAK classic (I sorta have it on a a chain going into my front left pocket but the keys are attached onto a belt loop above my back left pocket.)

Front left pocket: Bic Lighter

Hoody pocket: Slivers (smokes)

Back right pocket: Wallet

(I'm a lightweight :()

Originally posted by Drew66
Good response to my response. And you are right about a knife as a defense option. But there are times when it is simply unfeasible to carry my 1911 or just too much hassle. And this way at least I am not empty handed. Maybe it's a mental thing.

I think I am going to get a small flashlight or one of those photon lights for my keys. Just to see how often I end up using it. Should be an interesting study.

A lot of times self-defense is down to having the right deterrent -

A gun is such overwhelmingly deadly force that most potential assailants will back off -

Whereas a knife, although is a threat, nevertheless may be regarded by some as a "challange" - and may even encourage an assult.

That is unless the knife is big and wicked looking enough -
that in itself brings a much higher potential problem - in being regarded as an offensive weapon - and one is much, much more likely to get into trouble with the law, than having use a knife to defend one's life......

With an average pocket knife - much is dependent on the demeanor and how the defender carries themselves -
which is no better (for me) than being "empty handed", but ready to defend oneslf with "deadly force".

Lights -

One of those Photon II or Inova Microlights should fit nicely on the keyring and is almost not there - there are choices of LED colors - the Photons have many more - white is generally useful - but can be "dazzling" in dark environment where your eyes may be dark adapted and you need to continue to see in the dim conditions - white being "bright" can also attract attention - which may or may not be desirable.

Red is the correct color to preserve true night (scoptopic, rods only vision) but since I live in an urban environment and hardly ever use true scotopic night vision - what I need is a light that does not glare/dazzle my eyes and yet I can still see well by - and that for me is Yellow (evidence the use of yellow/amber for fog lights to prevent dazzling when reflected back by white fog).

Only the Photons have yellow - the Photon II with constant on switch is well regarded.

Yellow also has the advantage (along with red and orange Photons) of being advertized as having 120 hours battery life.
I haven't measured this but can say that I've had a Photon II yellow for over 4 years waiting to replace the Photon Mk.1 yellow EDC on my keyring (for over 5 years) to wear out - and it just won't!

you need to be a member of that server to see images, send me an e-mail if you want me to post them for you.

Anyone carry fire starters for emergency/survival situations?

I guess it could be as simple as (waterproof) matches or lighter - what about knife assisted fire starters?

What options are out there?

atm i am carrying my william henery S09c (for such a "delicate" knife it has performed wonderfly on my euro backpacking trip, being used in every horrible way possible) and a medium sized Opinel.
-mike

In a Burns Mission wallet:
Small classic Sebenza
black Fisher Space pen [w/a clip]
Lexar 128MB JumpDrive [a USB storage device]

Leatherman Micra
Victorinox Rambler
Photon Microlight [Turquoise]
keys
Chap Stick
Marathon Navigator wrist watch in stainless steel, with tritium vial indices on the dial

5/64" hex key [in my wallet] in case I want/need to break down the Sebenza

Frank

Here's the watch:

standard.jpg

Plain edge Spyderco Rescue(IWB), OT Middleman(RF), keys/Micra/Solitare clipped to belt loop(RF), wallet w/chain(LR), 35 cents(RR), disposable lighter(LF), 3 rollerball pens 2black 1blue(shirt pocket), Marlboro light 100s hardbox(shirt pocket), Armitron one dial/no buttons(left wrist), wedding ring(duh), rudraksha seed mala(around neck). My wife says I carry more sh!t than she does.

Frank

Originally posted by UnknownVT
Anyone carry fire starters for emergency/survival situations?

A cheap butane lighter is probably the best option for most people, but I carry enough other cra...um...stuff, that I like to go smaller and lighter. My EDC fire starter is a Sparklite, carried by itself, without the tinder and outer box. (I figure that given something that will burn and a knife I can always make tinder.) The actual Sparklite is barely larger than a wooden match.

--Bob Q

Originally posted by bquinlan
My EDC fire starter is a Sparklite, carried by itself, without the tinder and outer box. (I figure that given something that will burn and a knife I can always make tinder.) The actual Sparklite is barely larger than a wooden match.

Thanks bunches Bob Q - the Sparklite unit looks just the thing.

How does the thing work?
Is it just the old "flint" and friction wheel as on older lighters?
How "flamable" does the tinder material have to be for it to catch light from the "sparks"?

Thanks.

Originally posted by UnknownVT
How does the thing work?

It is just a standard Zippo-type ignition system with a flint that runs the full length of the Sparlite. Sparks are never as good for starting fires as an actual flame, but they work quite well on anything you would consider as tinder, including shaved wood.

--Bob Q

:yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :footinmou

Right now I'm at the Ft. Campbell library... it's a bullshit day and that's fine with me but I'm still in BDU's.

Right Pocket: BG42 Strider Buck large tanto, 101st Airborne Zippo.
Left Pocket: Surefire G2, pack of Benson & Hedges, change.
Right Cargo: 20 oz. Gaterade, pack of Camels, sour gummi worms.
Left Cargo: Compaq Ipaq, MT Kestrel auto w/ rayskin inerts and 2 tone blade clipped to $460 (the eagle flies on the 1st and the 15th :D ).
Ass Pocket: wallet.
On Belt: Sanyo net/cel phone in ballistic sheath.

Then in civvy clothes...

RP: LCC D/A or UT6, zippo
LP: Surefire G2, MT Kestrel with cash.
AP: wallet.
AP: keys.
Belt: BM43 in horiz leather case.
In Trenchcoat: phone, smokes, phone earpeice and mic.

I noticed very few listing pens or any writing instruments -

are these so common an EDC that we tend to forget they are an EDC?

or don't people carry writing instruments?

I know I miss a pen when I need one and don't have one on me - the typical being in line at a bank or post office....

That experience led me to carry my Victorinox Scientist SAK - as it has a ballpoint pen in the handle - so I am never without a pen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back