Edge Retention Testing and Analysis

Thanks Wayne. That's what I thought of differential hardening until some suggested that some people do nothing but harden the cutting edge and it is left totally soft.
Differential hardening is when the smith hardens the edge, and doesn't harden the back. Any knife or sword with a hamon will have an unhardened back. Any time you do an edge quench, you are hardening the edge, but not hardening the back.

Wayne is talking about a different method. The smith hardens the entire blade, then differentially tempers the blade. The spine gets more heat, which tempers the blade to a lower hardness. The back is hardened, but then tempered.

There is a difference.

Roger. It's a matter of terminology. Not my strong point. What is the different method called?

I expanded on this in detail in the above and cited references which do so in more detail including Landes work which shows the mechanism in detail of edge stability with pictures of carbide tearout on an actual edge and explains the principles behind edge stability from a physics point of view with a focus on the metallurgy, specifically aus-grain, martensitic needle length and carbide volume/aggregates.

-Cliff

Great hand waving Cliff. Again, this is the "geek" thread so please expound so we can discuss.

If you site/reference someone, please do it properly as I demonstrated in the other thread. I would like to find the exact treatise you are making reference too.

TN

LIE 1: Both review articles I wrote contain the full references for the books and papers. The review articles have been cited several times already.

LIE 2: The exact authors of other published works have been cited with a brief summary of their conclusion, this isn't handwaving. There is nothing stopping you from getting the papers.

The information is there, that you chose to keep ignoring it says something obviously. As I noted in the above, as soon as I found out that there was published work in this matter I sought it out immediately and this is just a hobby for me.

-Cliff

The standard equations are given in numerical recipies.
-Cliff

I've been using the equations, but I'm having a bit of trouble using them to get your numbers. I have two questions:

1) Which confidence interval are you using? 68%? 95%

2) Are you reporting confidence intervals on the individual parameters, or are you reporting the individual parameter limits on the joint probability space? Specifically, are you using the intervals from fig 15.6.3 from Numerical Recipes version 2 or the intervals from 15.6.4?

Thanks,

Carl

Ref :

"... fit reports parameter error estimates which are readily obtained from the variance-covariance matrix after the final iteration. By convention, these estimates are called "standard errors" or "asymptotic standard errors", since they are calculated in the same way as the standard errors (standard deviation of each parameter) of a linear least-squares problem"

The errors are over optomistic, i.e., too small on average. In the work that I do seriously I montecarlo to get more robust estimates. Since the data I have seen so far, even on the CATRA, is not precise enough to make that useful I don't do it. Just run the tests multiple times with multiple sharpenings and see what happens especially on high carbide segregates like ATS-34.

-Cliff

....... that you chose to keep ignoring it says something obviously. -Cliff

Nice Cliff.

Let me re-iterate again so we can see who's ignoring what:

Carl started this thread so we could have a "geek" discussion of the principles and methods regarding slicing, push cutting and your analysis approach. We would like more than the "lay person" discussion.

Is this clear? Are you incapable of answering direct questions with specific answers? You seem to pick out pieces of my questions that you can conveniently hand wave over by saying "I (Cliff) did", I published" or "Landes did'. You ignore the technical issues at hand.

I'd hoped to have a technical discussion on the physics, science, mechanics of cutting and blunting. I'd hoped to have a good discussion and learn from your expertise. I can see that this will not happen with you. Your continuing efforts to sidestep the questions and discussion....
says something obviously.-Cliff

Please quite quoting that it is all "simple physics, science or mechanics. If you can't support these and are unwilling to help people understand you work by expounding, then don't flaunt these on others.

Best Regards,

TN

Ref :

"... fit reports parameter error estimates which are readily obtained from the variance-covariance matrix after the final iteration. By convention, these estimates are called "standard errors" or "asymptotic standard errors", since they are calculated in the same way as the standard errors (standard deviation of each parameter) of a linear least-squares problem"

The errors are over optomistic, i.e., too small on average. In the work that I do seriously I montecarlo to get more robust estimates. Since the data I have seen so far, even on the CATRA, is not precise enough to make that useful I don't do it. Just run the tests multiple times with multiple sharpenings and see what happens especially on high carbide segregates like ATS-34.

-Cliff

I searched for this text in Numerical Recipes, but couldn't find it. Can you tell me where you found it?

Thanks,

Carl

cds4byu, it is in one of the docs on gnuplot, a freeware program I used to do the fitting on the edge retention plots.

tnelson:

LIE 1 : "Are you incapable of answering direct questions with specific answers? "

Specific answer given in the above, Landes has studied blunting by carbide tearout which is due to the inability of the steel matrix to retain the carbides. This is a function of carbide volume, aus-grain and martensitic needle length. In his book he shows pictures of edges with such tear out and detailed measurement to simulate such "edge stability" tests. The exact reference to the book has been given several times as it is noted in the article in edge stability.

Further, as noted, one of the main factors in edge blunting is deformation NOT WEAR. Deformation by lateral loading due to the highly random nature of the cut vectors in a human hand compared to any machine cut. When the blade is stressed laterally the edge will deform much easier than during compression because of the much lower relative strength laterally. THis is easy to verify because you can bend a thin edge in wood, everyone who has used a knife knows this but the same edge easily can be pushed right into woods.

-Cliff

My mistake I assumed you worked for the company that was developing this process. So you have no mometary connection to the friction forged process?
I have a slight monetary connection to the friction forging process. I get a small royalty on the tools used for friction forging. I have a much stronger interest because I think it's a great process, and I want to see processes I've worked on get implemented. I like to think I made a difference. So I'm certainly not disinterested, but I'm not paid either.
Approximate quote from Carl
I might (want to make such a disclaimer), but I don't.
Yeah because such as disclaimer would be counterproductive to selling the product obviously.
No, primarily because I don't agree with the disclaimer. The data fits a semi-empirical curve often used to model wear data with an R^2 of better than 90%. This gives me an estimate of the standard error of the data (which I haven't yet calculated, but will). Based on that standard error, I disagree with your disclaimer. So I won't make it.

That was my point, all you needed to know was that I did a random normal spread, the code is not relevant. Just like the code for the cut ratio algorithm doesn't matter either.
Apparently you misunderstood me. I understood the part about the random normal spread. I was trying to get clarity on the fit algorithms. Now that you've shown me you use gnuplot's fit algorithms, I can understand how to move forward.

The fits are undefined when they don't converge or the parameters are undefined (uncertainty is too large). You can calculate the probability of significance as well by looking at the chi-square difference for the introduction of additional parameters. It isn't "my" algorithm either, this is all standard nonlinear least squares.
In my use of the the fits, I get convergence and the parameters are not undefined. So I assumed there was some other fit you were doing, and wanted to get more information so I could replicate your work.

This is a completely undefined test, all steels have an elastic region obviously. I showed years ago how the same edge would pass or fail (both ways) this test simply by adjusting the angle. THis is basic metallurgy and shown clearly by any stress/strain graph.
I don't disagree with you, but several knife makers do.

No they don't, there is a math definition of that statement and it failed there as I described clearly.
I'm sorry, I don't understand which math definition of that statement it failed. The numerical fits seem to be fine to me.

... because we weren't using Cliff's algorithm. So the data is not well suited for Cliff's algorithm. Probably the next time, we'll take more data to do a better job of matching his algorithm.

THis is just absurd again, it isn't a personal issue. Again, the data is perfectly fitted by the model I developed, it is only when you manipulated it that the noise grew and it became undefined.
Nothing has become undefined for me. And I haven't been able to understand what became undefined for you. If you could explain what became undefined, I'd be happy to address the issue.

Is it the cut ratio that became undefined?

This isn't difficult at all, do it the same way I did for the cut ratio.
But I haven't been able to understand how you estimated the uncertainty for the cut ratio. That's why I keep asking the question.

You can draw conclusions from anything, the point is are they supported by the data and do the transformations you have performed make sense. If you have two functions f1,f2, the difference or ratio of these functions will be effected by any calculations on them. You can make this difference or ratio as large as you want by the appropiate transformations on the functions. You could easily transform the functions so the advantage of the FF D2 was a million percent. Don't tell me this isn't obvious to you.
Would you show me how to transform the functions so the advantage of FFD2 is a million percent? I don't understand a plausible way to do it. You don't need to actually do the transformation, just point me in the right direction.

Thanks, Cliff for your patience with me.

Carl

The information is there, that you chose to keep ignoring it says something obviously. As I noted in the above, as soon as I found out that there was published work in this matter I sought it out immediately and this is just a hobby for me. -Cliff

Let me try again:

Here is the page I am referring to. http://www.cutleryscience.com/reviews/model.html

Model the extended cutting ability of knives

Start with the fact that the work done pushing down on the knife has to equal the work done by the knife on the material it is cutting through. This means that the cutting ability, C, which is the depth that will be achieved under a given load is inversely proportional to the total force Ft on the knife by the material during the cut :

C~1/Ft

Since the force on the knife increases as cuts are made because the edge wears this means the cutting ability is dependent on how much material is cut, x, as follows :

C(x) ~1/Ft(x)

with :

Ft(x)=Fw+Fe(x)

Fw is the force it takes the blade to push the material out of the way. It is constant because the gross shape of the blade never changes. The force on the edge, Fe(x) increases because as the edge blunts while cutting it takes more force at the edge to achieve the necessary pressure to cut. The model is now :

C(x)~/(Fw+Fe(x))

Assuming the rate of metal loss from an edge is inversely proportional to the amount of metal loss which would be reasonable based on a few physical principles, this would predict square root behavior for the increase in force. Allowing for some variance from this exact model for a few physical reaons Fe(x) would be expected to be :

Fe=Fi xb

Where the value of b will characterize the type of blunting and Fi is the initial force on the edge at perfect sharpness with no cuts made. Thus the model for cutting ability is :

C(x)~/(Fw+Fi xb)

Replacing the proportionality by an equality and redefining constants :

C(x)=Ci/(1+a xb)

Here Ci is the initial cutting ability, which is dependent on the geometry of the knife and properties of the material being cut. The value of a depends on the ratio of the forces Fe/ Fw and along with b depends on the characteristics of the material being cut and the properties of the steel. In general the main influence of b is on long range blunting where a is more important in the short term. Because there are thus two competing effects it is possible to have comparisons such as the following :

This shows how one steel can have superior edge retention at high sharpness but another steel can have superior long term edge retention. AEB-L is an example of a type I steel and ATS-34 is an example of a type III steel, see the work of Roman Landes ( Messerklingen und Stahl) for more detail on this issue. That curve was a hypothetical comparison of two knives, for an actual application of the model to some real data on actual knives first some CATRA data which was published by Buck on Bladeforums in 2001:

The 420HC blade with the "Edge 2000" profile radically outperforms the BG-42 blade with the more obtuse edge profile until the blades have seriously degraded. The "Edge 2000" process was an enhancement by Buck to increase the intitial cutting ability and cutting lifetime of their knives. The exact defination is given on their website. It basically reduces the angle to 14.5 degrees per side and uses a hard cardboard wheel to replace a cloth wheel so there is less rounding or convexing of the final edge bevel. Note when all blades are given the same enhancement the BG-42 blade no longer has a significant disadvantage early and pulls ahead strongly after significant cutting :

To model this data it was digitized from the above graphs so the parameters will not be noted in detail except to except to state what should be obvious from a casual visual inspection anyway which is that the b value is lower for BG-42 than 420HC, but at the 20 degree profile the a value is much higher which is why it blunts faster early on but catches up late. Note the model well represents the behavior both in the short and late term :

The general question of interest when comparing steels is "How much more material can be cut?" In order to answer this from the above CATRA graphs requires horizontal intersection asymptotes which gives a nonlinear function of the amount of media cut. This is obviously not a trivial method of visual inspection. However from the curves produced from the model with both knives with the 14.5 degree edges the following graph can be calculated by solving for the function intersections and calculating the inverse of the percentage cutting ability :

The x-axis is the reduction in cutting ability and the y-axis shows how much more material the BG-42 blade can cut over the 420HC blade. When the blades are cutting about half of optimal, point (1), the BG-42 blade will have cut about 20% more material. However, when the blades are used down to about 25% of optimal, point (2), the BG-42 blade will have cut over 60% more material. So when both blades are sharpened frequently to keep them cutting very close to optimal the CATRA data doesn't show much of an advantage to BG-42. However when the knives are used to very blunt states then BG-42 has a large advantage.

Note that this data proposes another consideration of performance. It implies that at some angle between 14.5 and 20 the BG-42 blade would have equal long term edge holding at a more obtuse angle than the 420HC blade. This increased angle would give it better geometrical durability so it implies that properties which give better edge retention could actually enhance durability by allowing thicker edge profiles at a given cutting lifetime.

The benefit of using the above model is that the parameters can be correlated to properties of the steels and thus predict behavior. As a starting estimate the dependance of b would be expected to be similar to

b(p,h)~1/(p*h*wr)

Where p is the probability that a carbide will tear out on a given cut, h is the size of the hole and wr is the wear resistance. The probability of carbide tear would be related to the strength of the martensite and nature of the carbides (size/amount), grain size, and other properties. Note this is for slicing, for push cutting this would invert :

b(p,h)~p*h/wr

As in push cuts when carbide comes out the performance drops rapidly as the holes just bind up in the material.

Comments can be emailed to cliffstamp[REMOVE]@cutleryscience.com or posted to :

* a model for cutting ability and edge retention
* regarding cutting ability and edge retention as influenced by geometry

Is this not your web page? Is this your Model? I can not understand some of the Grand Canyon leaps you make to support your assumptions (per my previous posts). This is your work and there are no references to the "physical principles" you mention, so I am asking you specifically: expound or give a specific reference to support, not a hand waving statement of "I referenced that previously"..

Yes, Yes, I know: you quote Landes several paragraphs below in the web page above. However, The information in the paragraph in which you reference Landes does not discuss physical principles, rather data on testing. So please don't use this as a blanket reference.

You also have some references at the bottom of this web page. These lead to some of your other web site blogs about this model. On these sites, there is no discussion of the Physics, etc.... which help me understand your model and assumptions.

This is your page, your model. You need to support your model and not pawn it off by hand waving and throwing out names.

TN

Buck does, the engineers report to Chuck but at a lay level. He was simply noting the performance ratios off of the CATRA data did not represent what happened when the knives were used by people. He specifically cited the blunting mechanism ignored and this mechanism is basic physics, edges will deform and chip under lateral loads when used by people. I cited a simple example to prove this with the razor blade.Contact him and ask for the actual data if you are interested. You can also see the data reported by Landes in his book where he talks about edge stability which is ignored by CATRA type testing.

I'm getting confused between two arguments here. I think the data is that Buck had a steel (I'm assuming it's a large-carbide steel) that lasted forever on CATRA ERT but didn't last forever in a person's hand.

I attribute this to the large carbides forming "saw teeth" under the abrasion by the silica-impregnated CATRA ERT media, which allow steels with large carbides to cut a long time in an ERT test.

You attribute this to edge deformation and chipping when the blade is used by people.

I'm making my assumptions based on CATRA tests I've performed on Talonite, S90V, and D2, where I've looked at the edges following the CATRA tests.

Please don't take this as an attack, I'm asking it as an honest question. Have you seen micrographs that show that the difference in the Buck performance is due to edge deformation and chipping?

I'm getting a copy of Landes's book. Can you give me a chapter, or a page number, or a page range to make it easier for me to get into the german?

Thanks,

Carl

Good to see Cliff reverting back to name calling personal attacks and insulting and accusatory posts. Pretty silly coming from Cliff who has shown himself to be a lire, distort facts, mislead, and refuses to answer simple questions. Talking about peer reviews and published papers, what about?
Ref.
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4532586&postcount=39

Heck it would just be nice if Cliff would simply answer questions as clear and directly as tnelson or cds4 does.

Cut him some slack. This is someone who took something like 10 years to get a doctorate, from a very low level department, and is about as small time as one can be in research physics. He is a nobody in his field and he compensates by trying to be a big shot (in his mind) on internet forums where the majority of users have no formal training in the sciences.

Cut him some slack. This is someone who took something like 10 years to get a doctorate, from a very low level department, and is about as small time as one can be in research physics. He is a nobody in his field and he compensates by trying to be a big shot (in his mind) on internet forums where the majority of users have no formal training in the sciences.

:thumbup: :D :thumbup: :D :thumbup:

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

glad to get some input from a big shot, and completely on topic to boot

Not sure what bigshot you are referring to, Hardheart.

From where I sit.....am waiting for clarification and explanation from Cliff, a simple response to the questions posed by Carl and Tracy.

Direct responses, not the tired "I said _______ already".

For the first time in my years of being a member of this community.....Cliff has participation from trained scientists who look very close to taking him off at the knees, and true to form when held to tough questioning, he slithers away.

Cliff knows a lot, his work has been very helpful in my looking seriously at the "steel of the moment club". I appreciate that, really.

He has a total history of going off half-cocked though, and almost never apologizes, when wrong, which obscures the value of his observations, and writing.

The guys from BYU have distinguished themselves with straight answers, patience and AMAZING tolerance.

Cliff has been....well, Cliff. Enough already, time for some straight answers...which we will probably not get.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Right on, STeven. Until Cliff can answer the questions, he needs to...
Please quite quoting that it is all "simple physics, science or mechanics. If you can't support these and are unwilling to help people understand your work by expounding, then don't flaunt these on others.

Don't forget that all the questions posed came from his numerous objections and his claims that his understanding is 100% nailed down in theory and fact, & not empirical or anecdotal. The unanswered questions include:

---
He contended that all steels will have the same cutting ability at equal geometries & sharpening - why?
---
Explain the theory or science behind steel comparison tests on an equal basis with the steels having different geometries and different sharpening.
---
How can we calculate the optimum geometries and sharpening procedures for each steel? I do not disagree that there is anecdotal evidence & testing that shows differences between some steels, but do not believe there is any relationship developed that can calculate these optimums.
---
I do not see any first principles of physics or engineering in this reference or in any of your posts. However, you continue to make reference to "physics" or "mechanics".

Would you please please show/describe in physics or engineering principles the "physics of the mechanics of blunting"
---
Why does he say that the noise explodes when Carl has shown good statistical parameters for the results?
---
Explain the physical principles referred to in the underlined assumption below (verbiage between quotation marks is from cutleryscience.com):
"Assuming the rate of metal loss from an edge is inversely proportional to the amount of metal loss which would be reasonable based on a few physical principles, this would predict square root behavior for the increase in force. Allowing for some variance from this exact model for a few physical reaons Fe(x) would be expected to be :

Fe=Fi xb ...."

I will be more specific than I was in my last post. The statements from your web site (one example highlighted in bold and underlined above) are too vague.
--
And as long as I'm listing, I'll add two more:
Quote from a previous dissertation...
...cutting ability is basically inversely proportional to the force on the blade. Now ignoring friction (which is usually valid for several reasons) ...

Can the work of friction be ignored in a model for slicing?

Let's start with a picture and add the forces at work during slicing. IMO the work done by friction is a critical aspect of slicing, and the diagram & model would be incomplete without considering the force of (or work done by) friction.
---
Specific answer given in the above, Landes has studied blunting by carbide tearout which is due to the inability of the steel matrix to retain the carbides. This is a function of carbide volume, aus-grain and martensitic needle length. In his book he shows pictures of edges with such tear out and detailed measurement to simulate such "edge stability" tests.

Further, as noted, one of the main factors in edge blunting is deformation NOT WEAR. Deformation by lateral loading due to the highly random nature of the cut vectors in a human hand compared to any machine cut.
-Cliff

The functional relationship you give (or refer to) above include only steel characteristics that determine how strongly the carbide is retained by the matrix.

So how can a theoretical relationship for carbide loss during slicing be complete without considering the forces that remove the carbides?
---
I understand deformation of the edge causing cutting ability to decrease, but if you also are including microscopic deformations that result in material loss from the edge, this would be correctly termed adhesive wear, right?

Regardless, how can the loss of material (carbides & matrix) from a knife while slicing be explained without consideration of frictional (abrasive and adhesive) wear?
---

I'm not going to force my technical opinions of slicing on anybody. I admit it is shaky at best, and you could probably drive a bus through the holes in it. But that is not going to stop me from giving my views on it sometimes. I do think slicing is inherently complicated when trying to understand from a theoretical basis.

I do think Cliff is knowledgable, but all the other factors get in the way of having discussions with him that are constructive. This is unfortunate.

If a model is based on testing and empirical evidence, then admit this and everyone would appreciate it on that basis. Maybe you would even get some suggestions to make some improvements. I just do not understand the scientific inflexibility & the insistence that the science and theory is nailed down.

And I'll excuse myself on this note - Happy Fathers Day, ya geeky knife testin' bastids!

geenepi is the big shot, as he must be to pop in and expect his opinion of an individual to overwhelm the actual topic of discussion. A topic he contributes jack squat to with his post. I don't care if people argue with Cliff, I find it to be critical to having us all actually learn something from data presented by either side, but sniping at Cliff doesn't help anyone at all. I'm sure a couple guys with doctorates and real world experience are glad to have their side bolstered by having a n00b come in and call the dissenter a nobody; really aids Diamondblades and friction forging in a big way.

Back