Elmax fixed blade

why do you constantly do this ?How long have you been doing this ? Do you enjoy it ? Are you just waiting for some one to disagree ? And I know that I'm only feeding into your pathetic game but I truly am curious. And before you say anything I do not really like brkt so we don't have to go there (again). Let me guess what you are gonna say something like Mike stewart rips people off because someone had an issue with him . Wow imagine that out of the millions of customers someone had an issue ! Man that guy is a scammer ,a real flimflam artist . Right ?

Lol, "millions." :D

The topic of this thread was Elmax, An alloy used for blades.
For no particular reason it became a discussion of Mike Stewart.
Then the insults started.
2 warnings for insults.

Thread will remain open if the topic returns to blade steel.

Elmax is my favorite blade steel, right now my new delta 3v is giving it a run for its money though

With regards to BRKT's Elmax specifically, I have their Bird and Trout in Elmax that I've used for a couple years now as a hunting and kitchen knife. For hunting, I'm using it to field dress and then skin whitetails; in the kitchen as a general small paring and prep knife and occasional steak knife.

I don't know exactly how they're heat treating it but it does not seem to prioritize wear resistance, at all... Based on what I read from others on here about Elmax I'm expecting between S30V and M390 levels of wear resistance but the edge seems to blunt noticeably faster than that; it's more like CTS-XHP level, if that. (comparing to my Spyderco Hungarian in XHP and Benchmade 710 in M390, which I've used for the same purpose.)

On the other hand... It is phenomenally tough, especially for something 0.065" thick at the spine. I'm not very careful with the knife; in addition to dressing/skinning I've used it to clean off/out several buck skulls to boil (and worse, loaned it to my sister to do the same), and it gets banged around in the kitchen a lot, too.

The only chip I've put in it was from sticking it in between a deer's jaws from the side, and then just twisting the knife to force the upper and lower teeth apart to try and age the thing. Lateral stress, directly on the cutting edge, applied with sharp ridges of bone... and it was a pretty darn small chip, too.

BRKT Elmax, in my experience: nothing to write home about on the wear resistance at all, but the toughness is definitely there, if that's what you're looking for.

For those of you who do like elmax, do you prefer it over m390, and if so, why?

Steer clear of bark river, do a quick search on them here for more info. If the knife you get is actually the advertised steel I'd still be skeptical of the quality of heat treat it got. Not to mention, Mike stewart should be a pariah in the knife community.

Elmax done properly is fantastic and should hold up to hard use.

I have never had any dealings with Mike Stewart, but I did a quick internet search and found some interesting stories. Definitely not a company I would want to do business with.

Skywalker that's pretty much exactly what I wanted to hear about the elmax thanks

For those of you who do like elmax, do you prefer it over m390, and if so, why?
My trc elmax I prefer over my lionsteel m390. Now different heattreats from different companies may play a big role in this decision but between the two, elmax takes a better edge . It also holds its edge better as well. Like I said though it may be that trc has got theirs dialed in and or lionsteel doesn't, I'm not sure

From my experience, M390/20Cv holds a better edge, but if I was going to make or order a 5-6 inch knife and could only choose between M390 and Elmax, I might choose Elmax for the added toughness.
In reality I would only want to go up to 5 inch with Elmax. Anything past that I would want something like 3V, CD1, PD1/Cru-Wear, Z-Finit, or Sleipner.

My trc elmax I prefer over my lionsteel m390. Now different heattreats from different companies may play a big role in this decision but between the two, elmax takes a better edge . It also holds its edge better as well. Like I said though it may be that trc has got theirs dialed in and or lionsteel doesn't, I'm not sure
Ahhh well I hope TRC have their HT down right for all their steels because I just ordered a K1 in M390

Ahhh well I hope TRC have their HT down right for all their steels because I just ordered a K1 in M390
I'm sure they do the time and effort they put into their product is obvious ,it shows and I can't believe the abuse that they can take

I'm sure they do the time and effort they put into their product is obvious ,it shows and I can't believe the abuse that they can take
What have you used yours for that would be abuse or hard work?
This will be my first stainless steel (for a fixed blade) and i am unsure what I can and cannot put it through haha

Where do y'all order those tfk knives I want the k1s
Lamnia knives sometimes stocks them, as does russianknives or you can simply get them straight from Andrius the maker himself off their website

Back