Recommendation? Emerson A-100 Slight Blade Rock - Help?

Niall88

Gold Member
I just got an Emerson A100. Nice knife, but I am definitely underwhelmed. Not sure why everyone makes such a big deal about these knives. Can anyone assist me with my question? I will try to explain the best I can. The blade as a slight rocking in it. There is no blade play when the knife is in the open, locked position. There is no side to side blade play when the knife is in a half closed position. However, on the way down or up, when I move or rock the blade ever so slightly upward toward the open position and downward toward the closed position, there is a slight lapse, some play, or rock before it catches its smoother/friction movement. This 'play' is only about 1/8" or 1/16" of an inch. As if the pivot is rocking or something, but I know that is not what it is. None of my other knives do this. Not even the cheapest Ontario Rat 1 or other Chinese knives does this. They are all perfectly tight with no sign of this slight rocking or play in the up and down movement. Am I explaining myself clearly? Does anyone know what this is? Help?

So at fully open or fully closed there is no issue ? Am I understanding that right ?
Correct. The issue or slight 'delay' or 'play' is only on the swivel movement opening and closing when i move the blade up and down in extremely small increments. It is not perfectly, continuously smooth. There is a lag until it catches the smoothness. It is only very small about 1/16" or 1/8", but it is easily felt and noticed. No other knife does this.

I can't say I see a difference of significance with either of mine but in all honesty I am really only interested in open and closed with a workable journey between those points. Tell me it is sticking or you need to readjust your hold to operate it I see it as more of an issues. The A100 is really the only Emerson I am a fan of but Emerson has always sold on function over aesthetics and buyers often need expectation management adjustment.

Maybe you do infact have some pivot lash. Try grabbing the blade and handle and pushing from the blade tip to the heel and then pulling when the blade is partially opened. Some knives can indeed get play there between the pivot and the hole in the blade. I can't really imagine what else it would be.

I currently only have a CQC-7, but have had a Commander, Roadhouse, and CQC-8.

They make good knives, but I feel like their marketing is completely based around "we make work knives, not pretty knives", which is fine. But imo, many other companies also make working knives, but with arguably better materials, and at a cheaper price..

I get "made in America"... got plenty of USA made blades. But if I had to pay $250 for another Emerson w/154cm, or $120 for a Recon 1 in s35vn, I'm taking the Cold Steel..

I’ve noticed what you’ve described on my Mini A100 and do not consider it a problem or law as it doesn’t affect the knife in the closed, open, closing or opening positions.

greetings all,
it's been a while since i had an emerson, 10 years maybe, but i seem to remember one of mine had 2 detent holes in the blade. you could disassemble, they are a snap to break down/put back, and take a peek. could ne what you're feeling. good luck and best to all you forum folks.
mike

Maybe you do infact have some pivot lash. Try grabbing the blade and handle and pushing from the blade tip to the heel and then pulling when the blade is partially opened. Some knives can indeed get play there between the pivot and the hole in the blade. I can't really imagine what else it would be.
LimpCriossant - BINGO!!! THANK YOU!!! PIVOT LASH. Yes sir, i did exactly what you said and you are absolutely correct. With the blade about 95% open at about 11:00, and I push and pull, absolutely it is moving the pivot! You hit the target and gave me the correct and intelligent words to use. Even Chinese knives don't have pivot lash!! Geeeeze!!!

And thank you everyone for your feedback and assistance. I learned a new term, "pivot lash." An over $200 USA made knife and my $89 Steel Will feels like a Sebenza compared to this Emerson!

I can't say I see a difference of significance with either of mine but in all honesty I am really only interested in open and closed with a workable journey between those points. Tell me it is sticking or you need to readjust your hold to operate it I see it as more of an issues. The A100 is really the only Emerson I am a fan of but Emerson has always sold on function over aesthetics and buyers often need expectation management adjustment.
Good thing I am a therapist, because I definitely need some major expectation management adjustment!! One of the guys above taught me what I needed to know, it is called 'pivot lash.' And you taught me I need an attitude adjustment in my expectations. Hmm, wonder why I need an expectation adjustment with a $300 USA knife but not my $50 and $60 Chinese knives?

LimpCriossant - BINGO!!! THANK YOU!!! PIVOT LASH. Yes sir, i did exactly what you said and you are absolutely correct. With the blade about 95% open at about 11:00, and I push and pull, absolutely it is moving the pivot! You hit the target and gave me the correct and intelligent words to use. Even Chinese knives don't have pivot lash!! Geeeeze!!!
Glad I could help! Yea man pivot lash is a bummer. And yea there's really no excuse for it now days. Of course every company's allowed a lemon here and there as long as it's not something that's regular. But yea Emerson's, although usually they function fine, don't have the best fit and finish.

Nice knife, but I am definitely underwhelmed. Not sure why everyone makes such a big deal about these knives.

buyers often need expectation management adjustment.
.... you said, I said, Sorry you seem to have taken it to heart. It was a comment in response to not simply you but perhaps a generalisation around those entering the Emerson market not just you, spend a minute here or in the Emerson forum what you are saying is COMMON and yet Emerson still has a strong following, right, wrong or indifferent they still seem to sell knives easily, So therefore if you (by this I mean any buyer) purchase one with the expectation of fit and finish more in line with some now contemporary "budget" brands you (and by this I mean any buyer) will need your (again any buyer) expectations adjusted. I am not defending it, but with regard to Emerson it is what it is. I bought two examples of he only model that appeals to me (A100), there are no others I would look at but plenty of people do.

Emerson has his own hosted forums here if you wish to delve further into it with people who are far more passionate than I.

Purchased from a guy here on the forums, he said new and unused. Appears as such.

As much as you want to trust people, to me thats used.

The blade hangs up and or has a dead spot where it can move freely? Yes?

In my experience i believe you are experiencing some washer stick/slide. Machined surfaces are not smooth enough yet. Liners, washers, and blade all have machining marks. Marks line up and stall and/or smooth out or line up during the action of open/close. This is why people “break in” knives, polish the washers/surfaces, add oil, grease, bacon fat, or thousand island dressing to help alleviate the friction.

Like others have said take it apart. Clean and check things out. Add a bit of you favorite lube to the surfaces, not the lock face, and tune to your liking. Open and close that mofo like its going out of style.

.... you said, I said, Sorry you seem to have taken it to heart. It was a comment in response to not simply you but perhaps a generalisation around those entering the Emerson market not just you, spend a minute here or in the Emerson forum what you are saying is COMMON and yet Emerson still has a strong following, right, wrong or indifferent they still seem to sell knives easily, So therefore if you (by this I mean any buyer) purchase one with the expectation of fit and finish more in line with some now contemporary "budget" brands you (and by this I mean any buyer) will need your (again any buyer) expectations adjusted. I am not defending it, but with regard to Emerson it is what it is. I bought two examples of he only model that appeals to me (A100), there are no others I would look at but plenty of people do.

Emerson has his own hosted forums here if you wish to delve further into it with people who are far more passionate than I.
Wow, so you are telling me that the "pivot lash" is common because Emerson knives do not have the pivot collar fitting perfectly through the inner steel liners?

The blade hangs up and or has a dead spot where it can move freely? Yes?

In my experience i believe you are experiencing some washer stick/slide. Machined surfaces are not smooth enough yet. Liners, washers, and blade all have machining marks. Marks line up and stall and/or smooth out or line up during the action of open/close. This is why people “break in” knives, polish the washers/surfaces, add oil, grease, bacon fat, or thousand island dressing to help alleviate the friction.

Like others have said take it apart. Clean and check things out. Add a bit of you favorite lube to the surfaces, not the lock face, and tune to your liking. Open and close that mofo like its going out of style.
Thank you for your kind and patient response. I appreciate it. However, a gentleman above just nailed my exact issue, hit the target. It is "pivot lash" where the pivot collar is not perfectly tight inside the inner liners. This is what I was feeling in the blade movement. No breaking it in is going to remedy this. Only a new inner liner that the pivot fits through perfectly.

I'm a big Emerson fan and own several. As others have mentioned, it's normal. Their brand isn't known for a perfect fit or finish. I've had to take apart every one I've owned for a cleaning to smooth out the action. I still buy Emerson designed knives, but companies like ZT do a much better job at production.

Thank you for your kind and patient response. I appreciate it. However, a gentleman above just nailed my exact issue, hit the target. It is "pivot lash" where the pivot collar is not perfectly tight inside the inner liners. This is what I was feeling in the blade movement. No breaking it in is going to remedy this. Only a new inner liner that the pivot fits through perfectly.
I always tighten the pivot to where it's still easy to deploy and locks up solid. That should reduce some of the play that you're experiencing. IMO, it's not something to worry about if the there is no blade play when locked open. That's the most important part.

Glad you figured it out.

Now are you going to send it in for repair ? Or live with it?

Back