Recommendation? Emerson A-100 Slight Blade Rock - Help?

Your reading/comprehension skills are clearly lacking my friend. I shall leave you with it.

Glad you figured it out.

Now are you going to send it in for repair ? Or live with it?
I emailed Emerson and am waiting to hear back. If the Chinese can make $50 to $90 knives with zero pivot lash, I think Emerson's over $200 A100 can be expected to be at least the same.

Have you tried tightening the pivot?
Yes, certainly have. Thank you. Further up this thread a gentleman told me I had "pivot lash". That satisfied my question 100%. The pivot is actually moving a bit inside the inner liners. When I tighten the pivot screw, the opposite part of the pivot moves a bit before it catches. Then if I turn the pivot screw the other way, the opposite part of the pivot will also move again before it catches. So this knife obviously has the "D" shaped pivot collar fitting into the D shaped inner liners with rather lax tolerances.

Why did you make this comment, I don't understand?
There is nothing functionally wrong with your knife. It opens, locks w/o play, closes, does not rub the liner and the detent holds it shut and will stend up to hard use and even abuse. If you had spent time researching your purchase you'd not expect more. Wasn't the pivot screw a sign to you that Emerson is different?

Although it appears I am getting slightly chastised by someone who loves Emerson knives, I will answer your question. First off, another person on this forum knew exactly what I was referring to. He told me he had two emersons that had this issue and it is called "pivot lash." In addition, not one of my other 13 or 14 other knives, including a cheap Rat 1, cheap Kizer and cheap Steel Will, has this issue. Sure the knife works fine. Sure you are correct in a certain way. And I don't think I am so far out of line that I cannot expect the damn pivot collar to seat correctly between the D shape in the inner liners without play! And when you chastise me about "spending time researching my purchase"...what the heck are you talking about, spending hours online so I can find out that I can expect pivot lash when buying an Emerson? Give me a break dude! I expected nothing from my cheap Chinese made Steel Will and Kizer, and both of them blew me away with the tightest tolerances. An over $200 Emerson cannot match this?

See what EKI has to say and go from there. Although it is a second hand used knife, they may do something.

Have you taken apart, cleaned, and lubed yet ??

I can certainly understand your POV on spending $200 for something your expectations are not happy with. There is no need to feel chastised , if that is the case. I think most of us are here to help, although there are some dill weeds around. Such is life

These are simple knives. Tolerances are not near the nearest ten-thousandth, they manufacture for room for grit, sand, mud, pocket lint, bone fragments, amazon tape, ect.

See what EKI has to say and go from there. Although it is a second hand used knife, they may do something.

Have you taken apart, cleaned, and lubed yet ??

I can certainly understand your POV on spending $200 for something your expectations are not happy with. There is no need to feel chastised , if that is the case. I think most of us are here to help, although there are some dill weeds around. Such is life

These are simple knives. Tolerances are not near the nearest ten-thousandth, they manufacture for room for grit, sand, mud, pocket lint, bone fragments, amazon tape, ect.
The knife was brand new, limited edition. Took it apart, put it back. Works fine. I am totally satisfied with the "pivot lash" explanation. Emerson said I could send it back if I wanted to. I hear you on the dirt and grime and having room for it. But there does not need to be room between the pivot collar and the inner liners!

For what? They're not gonna find anything wrong with it. You're just gonna waste time and money sending it back-and-forth to fix an issue that doesn't exist.
Yo Mama, yes, that is what I was thinking. I paid $290. Then $9.00 to send back and $15 included in package for them to send it back. And I would have to hope they admit there is pivot lash rather than telling me that is how their knives are.

IMO, you're better off selling the knife and buying a ZT0640. Especially since there is no guarantee that if you send the knife in and pay $25, it will come back the way you're hoping.

IMO, you're better off selling the knife and buying a ZT0640. Especially since there is no guarantee that if you send the knife in and pay $25, it will come back the way you're hoping.
I just looked at that ZT you suggested. Holy shit! That is a super nice knife. Better blade steel, longer blade, carbon fiber. You are right on!

I just looked at that ZT you suggested. Holy shit! That is a super nice knife. Better blade steel, longer blade, carbon fiber. You are right on!
Like I said, I'm a big fan of Emerson designs, but companies like ZT do a much better job with actual production of his designs.

I say send it back ecause it seems you will never be satisfied with this knife. At least EKI can inspect your used knife. You will have a solid concrete answer of how it should be.

Could you throw up a video of how the pivot reacts so others can see and learn if their knife has the same issue? That would be great

Let me see if I get this right. I've read though the thread a few times.

The pivot is rotating very slightly when opening and closing the knife? Is that the only play the pivot has? This is normal for my Emersons when I tighten or loosen the pivot screw, but that shouldn't happen when opening or closing the blade. Usually the friction and fitment of the pivot bolt in the handle scale and liners is enough to prevent it from rotating during opening (different story if using a screw driving to manipulate the pivot screw of course).

So to me, it seems like there's too much friction or play on the blade when it rotates around the pivot bolt. To test, take the blade and pivot out and then test to see how freely the blade can spin around it. I'll often use dish soap and a toothbrush to clean the pivot bolt and also the pivot hole in the blade. On rare occasions, very light sanding on the pivot bolt to remove any dings, damage, or rough spots. I try not to strip the coating on the pivot to bare metal because that can introduce some blade play if done inconsistently.

So try cleaning the pivot bolt and blade pivot hole. Then inspect the pivot bolt for damage. Reassemble the knife and play with different pivot screw tightness to see when the problem occurs or goes away.

When I tune my Emerson pivots, I usually put a finger on the bolt end to stop it from rotating for really fine adjustments. It's just how they are.

One thing I learned from BF: Emerson's are overpriced; Striders are overpriced; Hinderer's are overpriced; and CRKS are overpriced. And none of the aforementioned knives are as good as cheaper Chinese knives. Have I missed anything?

Back