Emerson HD-7 Back in Stock

Just got a notification that the Emerson HD-7 is back in stock on Emerson's site. Looks to be improved over the 2014 run:
- threaded standoffs
- stainless steel lockbar insert and stabilizer

I just saw the info on instagram and picked one up. Should look great with my Iron Dragon.

I just told my local knife store to order me one as I don't have the funds to pick it up right now and am sure it will sell out in a day or two max. Hopefully Ernie put some aside for his retailers because this is like one of my ultimate grail knives and I bloody well need it.

Looks great with some nice updates! but I'll hold onto my original HD-7 ;)

Mine should arrive on Monday. I was under the impression that the knife would run on teflon washers, but according to the video (released today), it has bearings (meh).

[video=youtube;JPRhIynl-4Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPRhIynl-4Y[/video]

The Iron Dragon has the same ball bearing pivot and framelock. I don't really get the appeal of ball bearings but the manufacturers sure love it.

Yeah I wish they would have kept the friggin teflon washers. Especially in an HD!!!!1! knife. Still I suppose it will help it wave more reliably.

You can add me to the "no bearings" team as well. I've had several folders with bearing pivots from different manufacturers and I've sold them all. Just don't like the action and don't see the need to complicate what should be a simple tool, especially the way Emerson makes his knives to be simple and dependable.

But... some folks gotta have 'em and Emerson is in business to make what sells to his clientele. If he's selling all the ones he makes, then he's doin' what he needs to for the good of the brand. As long as he makes some "the old way" for knuckle-draggers like me, I'm happy.

I don't mind having the bearings but I also understand the quirks of having them. This got me thinking a bit and for fun I replaced the bearings on my sheepdog with stock Teflon washers from my stash of spare Emerson parts. It worked pretty well but it definitely wasn't as smooth opening as before. It might also be a good idea to find some small washers to fill the gap in the liners where the bearings normally sit.

Emerson might not be known for their bearing system but my Iron Dragon might be the smoothest opening folder that I own and I own a number of bearing/flippers. I can only speak from personal experience and understand everyone has their own preference but I've never had any issues with bearings. Mine should arrive Thursday and I can't wait!

Last edited:
Boo. Bearings.

One of the things I like BEST about EKI is the Nylatron washers.

Bearings just conflict with the whole concept of Emerson knives to me.

You can add me to the "no bearings" team as well. I've had several folders with bearing pivots from different manufacturers and I've sold them all. Just don't like the action and don't see the need to complicate what should be a simple tool, especially the way Emerson makes his knives to be simple and dependable.

But... some folks gotta have 'em and Emerson is in business to make what sells to his clientele. If he's selling all the ones he makes, then he's doin' what he needs to for the good of the brand. As long as he makes some "the old way" for knuckle-draggers like me, I'm happy.
I already commented, but you said it way better.

However, I suspect the primary reason for putting bearings in a knife that doesn't need them is MONEY.

If they're milling the liners out to make space, I wouldn't hold my breath for the option of no Bearings for "knuckle daggers like us." Not when there is overpricing to be had.

Which sucks.

Don't fix what isn't broke, Ernest.

So what I'm really having trouble wrapping my head around is this: Mr. Emerson has had a reputation of proudly NOT changing to "evolve" with the times.

Basic steel and construction at an astronomical price was a polarizing concept. Some hated EKI and some loved EKI because of it.

But Ernest stood fast until, oddly, we start seeing a steel upgrade, some random finger choils, flippers, and bearings. OK cool, now the market has options.

But the PROBLEM is, nothing seems to fit Ernie's mantra or style. None of these upgrades really make sense if you consider the source. To me, these new options are awkward and out of place. Like the designer didn't know their full purpose or something. Just added crap to a market for the sake of adding crap to the market.

So now Emerson knives are starting to cost even more, but are also getting all goofy too. So instead of spending more money to say, fix the inconsistent lock tang angle that is causing all the failures we STILL read about every day ( yes, this discrepancy between batches is a definite thing), or upgrading the G10, or adding "build your own" options like Benchmade, the money is spent on new options that honestly don't add anything.

In other words, Ernie finally upgraded, but upgraded everything except the things that really needed it. Just added superfluous bells and whistles without offering a real BENEFIT or fixing any problems. And let's be honest, there are a few.

So, while still considering the source, the only reasoning left that DOES fit Ernest Emerson's style and mantra is PRICE.

And everything is definitely getting more expensive across the board.

Hell, the 7 went up an extra forty dollars in the last five years, without a single change (yes I understand other factors are in play). I'm fine with paying for American craftsmanship, and paying extra simply for a name.

But don't ruin things I like while fixing what isn't broke, ya know? And GIVE ME American craftsmanship. If I'm going to pay more, I'd like to know that money improved what I really like about Emerson, and even better, it would be cool if that money improved what I DO NOT like. Like QC flaws, or having to pay almost 20 dollars for shipping on warranty service. Say what you want about how great EKI warranty is, but I've never paid a red cent to Spyderco, Kershaw, or any others. Yet I've had flawless service and enough free parts on top of that to almost build another knife. I have, however had to spend money, time, and annoyance on sending the same knife in multiple times with EKI.

Thanks if you read this whole thing. I'm not hating or bashing. These are simply objective observations about a company I really do love. But I do have some issues.

Sorry for the long wind. But this one really bugs me.

I understand others will have different mileage.

Thx.

Last edited:
JB- I understand your confusion.
When a change is made, like bearing washers, it'd be nice if Ernest explained why there was a change. Sal Glesser is really good at this.
I like being informed and up to date.
rolf

My HD-7 arrived a few minutes ago and was promptly returned to Emerson. I was not aware of the bearing pivot assembly until it was en route to me (I purchased the knife prior to the product description/information video being published).

Some other things I noticed in the few minutes I had the knife in hand:
- a considerable amount of lock-bar tension and detent strength that makes the knife difficult to be slowly opened (likely resolved with continued use and break in)
- when slowly opened, lock-bar does not fully engage with the tang, resulting in lock slip (likely resolved with continued use and break in)
- the lock-bar cutout is unfinished and sharp

Not exactly ecstatic about the $20 dollar restocking fee, but those were the terms agreed to at the point of transaction.

I can certainly understand where you are coming from sutherland - probably could have held on to it until they sell out and get your full purchase price on secondary market.

Back