Emerson HD-7 Back in Stock

Sorry to hear about the issues you guys have been having. I feel the detent on mine is perfect - It requires some force and won't open no matter how hard I try to just wrist flick it open, but it's not sticky and far from impossible to open. It almost feels like a weak magnetic pull, if that makes sense.

If you haven't already, you might want to try cleaning the detent ball with a Q-tip and alcohol and then putting just a faint drop of oil on it. I used Kroil, but any type of oil should work fine on the detent ball. I would avoid grease though.

I agree that the CQC-15 is a bad mofo, and should serve you well as an EDC!
I'll try this, thank you! I'd like to have it in the line-up as it is a killer blade. I appreciate the tip!

Well mine arrived about 3 hours ago and I'm impressed. I had a CQC-7BW and while I thought that was a great knife, I do feel that the HD7 has (IMO) a few improvements over that one from what I remember.

* As stated, I was surprised to hear that this had the bearing system, as that bit of info was not listed anywhere on the sight. I had heard that the Iron Dragon was an extremely smooth operator from those that have them. When I took the HD7 out of the box it flipped open easily, and even free-dropped back to closed. Again this was the FIRST time I opened it.

* I really like the feel of the Ti back with the G-10 scale. The smooth Ti makes the knife easier to wave without chewing up your pants pocket like the double G-10 version. The clip still provides great retention, but the HD7 is noticeably easier to insert and remove from the pocket.

* Build quality is awesome, IMO. Sutherland mentioned that his had a sharp lock bar cutout. Mine is actually *chamfered* in that area, and is not sharp at all. That might just be that mine was built on a Friday and his on a Monday, but it was impressive that they had that little touch on mine.

* In typical Emerson style there was some lock-stick out of the box, but it's improved greatly to where there is now only a hint of it, and that's without adding any pencil lead/sharpie to the area, too.

* After playing with the knife for about 20 minutes it developed a bit of a gritty feel in one area of the action. I cleaned the detent ball with alcohol and a Q-tip, then dipped a toothpick tip in Kroil and touched it to the detent ball. After working the action a few times the knife was even smoother than before. I've been playing with this off and on since I've got it and would now describe the action as wet-glass-on-glass smooth. I'm talking ridiculously smooth here. And this is not even a day old! I understand that some may think the bearing system was not necessarily an improvement to the overall design, however having owned both, I would definitely say it was an improvement in terms of pure function.

All in all I'd say I'm more than happy I decided to grab one of these. ;)
Glad you're happy.

But the very first thing I'm wondering is what happens to that action if it gets all full of mud in the field.

I'm ignorant on the construction of these bearings, but the concept of a bunch of tiny spaces for crap to get stuck in on a HARD USE KNIFE is absolutely retarded, unless they are completely sealed. Which they may be.

Honestly that's my number one gripe about this whole thing. I hope I'm wrong, because now I'm already planning NOT to buy any Emerson with bearings. I LIKE the washers because they are simple and durable.

I can't even express my annoyance with adding a million EXTRA moving parts to a knife meant to get dirty, ESPECIALLY when they worked fine for 20 years just the way they were.

Someone please tell me I'm wrong on this point.

Are the bearings a fully sealed unit?

Has anyone actually gotten them dirty?

Are Emerson knives still meant to be USED? Or has Ernie decided to enter the "pocket jewelry and flick toy" market full time?

How bout a response from Ernest. I highly doubt he HASN'T read this thread. It'd be nice to hear from the guy in charge like Rolf mentioned.

Yeah, we aren't entitled to it, but communication goes a long way towards the business side of things.

Last edited:
Glad you're happy.

But the very first thing I'm wondering is what happens to that action if it gets all full of mud in the field.

I'm ignorant on the construction of these bearings, but the concept of a bunch of tiny spaces for crap to get stuck in on a HARD USE KNIFE is absolutely retarded, unless they are completely sealed. Which they may be.

Honestly that's my number one gripe about this whole thing. I hope I'm wrong, because now I'm already planning NOT to buy any Emerson with bearings. I LIKE the washers because they are simple and durable.

I can't even express my annoyance with adding a million EXTRA moving parts to a knife meant to get dirty, ESPECIALLY when they worked fine for 20 years just the way they were.

Someone please tell me I'm wrong on this point.

Are the bearings a fully sealed unit?

Has anyone actually gotten them dirty?

Are Emerson knives still meant to be USED? Or has Erie decided to enter the "pocket jewelry and flick toy" market full time?

How bout a response from Ernest. I highly doubt he HASN'T read this thread. It'd be nice to hear from the guy in charge like Rolf mentioned.

Yeah, we aren't entitled to it, but communication goes a long way towards the business side of things.

Assuming it is the same washer setup as the 7 Flipper, no it is not sealed. Yes, grit would be a problem.

That is why for some time I have wanted a washer pivot (like "regular" Emersons) with a bored recess in the blade and frame - like the washer pivot models have - with thick washers. It is my theory that since the contact points between the blade and the washer would not be exposed, it would me more difficult for grit to get into that space.

Assuming it is the same washer setup as the 7 Flipper, no it is not sealed. Yes, grit would be a problem.

That is why for some time I have wanted a washer pivot (like "regular" Emersons) with a bored recess in the blade and frame - like the washer pivot models have - with thick washers. It is my theory that since the contact points between the blade and the washer would not be exposed, it would me more difficult for grit to get into that space.
Thank you for the intelligent information Shannon...^^!

Ive gotten my sheepdog pretty dirty on separate occasions with sand, dirt, or wood particulates. The knife will open and close fine manually or waved. Flipping it was sometimes a problem and you could definitely feel and hear the grittiness in the action. A quick rinse in hot water was usually enough to clear it though. Since then, ive put a light coating of lube inside the bearing rings and this has helped keep the action smooth in everything except sandy conditions.

The thing I like about bearings is the knife will still be silky smooth even if you have the pivot pretty tight to eliminate side to side blade play.

Last edited:
I'm thoroughly impressed with my HD-7. I've been carrying it since I've received it. It has a slightly more ergonomic handle shape, it's much slimmer compared to the CQC-7BW, blade has more belly, weighs less, and has a superior locking system vs liner (IMO).
Mine came out of the box with perfect blade centering, perfect detent, crazy smooth action, solid lock up, and it's razor sharp.

I've gone ahead and applied blue lock tight on the pivot screw, and put one drop of Hoppes lubricating oil in the pivot area. Now this knife is as smooth as they come. I just don't understand why they market this knife as "HD-7" should be more like "SL-7" (slim line) or "LW-7" (light weight). Either way I'm really enjoying this knife and it's a pleasure to carry and use.

20170214_082530.jpg

20170214_082517.jpg

20170213_142835.jpg

20170213_142753.jpg

20170213_142727.jpg

20170213_142715.jpg

20170213_142614.jpg

20170213_142555.jpg

Anyone had one apart yet? I'd like to see the inside of the scales and the blade pivot.

I would've but if you'll notice the handle screws use a Hex key, those can potentially strip out very easily. So I didn't even make an attempt. I would've liked to see the same fasteners used on the cqc-7 I believe those are Phillips #0

You have to fantastic 7's, sir.
For me, put the HD7 blade into the CQC7.
rolf

I have taken my HD7 and my 12 apart quite a few times with no damage to the hex screws. As long as you use the correct size bit you should be good.

I just received my Hd7about 15 minutes ago and this is one well made knife. Mine is tight with early lock up and I'm sure it will eventually be as silky smooth as my Iron Dragon. The detent is strong, which is to my liking. No blade play is noticeable and the blade is perfectly centered. As expected the knife is razor sharp and the blade has beautiful grind lines and finish. I rarely like small folders but this Emerson is a power house and feels feather light. Now it's time for the Hd7 to see some pocket time.

Last edited:
I got mine! Loving it. I'll post a pic or two and my thoughts when I have a minute

I understand the people's hesitations and annoyances listed in this thread.

But out of the box this is one of the nicest emersons I've owned to date.

Got mine yesterday and I'm liking it. I have a mint condition of 2004 HD-7 and I will try and take some photos of the two together this weekend.

The knife is pretty great. I echo some of the thoughts about the washers here. The bearings are not really protected in any way. Dangerous in the desert.

The lockup is almost too early. When the knife is opened with moderate force, it's fine. If it's opened lightly, in a casual manner, the lock does not fully engage and the knife is not safe. Some of that can be adjusted by adjusting the pivot. But, still.

Pocket time!

The biggest thing I LIKE about the HD-7 is the wide blade. Like the ORIGINAL CQC-7!

That changes the entire look of the knife. Makes the grinds pop out, gives the taste a meaner look, and just looks more STOUT, overall.

Its more reminiscent of the 6 blade the entire 7 line was based on.

I'm slowly warming up to tastes, based on THAT look.

Not the slimmer one on the modern 7's.

Some may not notice it, but it sticks out like a sore thumb to me. I want to buy a tanto 7 but that slim blade is just so damned pathetic looking. Also, the higher grind on the HD and early 7's translates to more acute geometry.

Well, I spose they had to cut costs somewhere.

Back