Emerson Knives EDC-1 Multitool

RamZar

Gold Member
I ordered one of the new EDC-1 Multitool with a partially serrated edge directly from Emerson Knives today. These are manufactured by Multitasker Tools for Emerson Knives and it was designed by both entities.

A friend got his last week and it has a great Micro Commander type blade with the "wave shaped opening feature". No pliers but good essentials in a small package.

EDC.jpg

Features:

• Emerson Micro Commander style knife blade with Wave Feature (D2 steel, PVD coated), plain edge or partially serrated
  • Standard screwdriver (90/180 degree stops)
  • Phillips screwdriver (90/180 degree stops)
  • Detachable prytool with bottle opener + dual stepped wrench cutouts (STD + METRIC)
  • STD: 1/4", 5/16" 3/8", 7/16", 1/2"​
  • METRIC: 4mm, 6mm, 8mm, 10mm​

Price: $184.95 + $5.00 for serrated edge

Some videos:

Last edited:
Not a Mini, but a Micro-Commander :)
It's a great tool...been using mine for a couple of weeks...very handy.

I'll get one when Ernie drops the price by $150. Wow.

The price is not that much more than a standalone Emerson Micro Commander knife albeit the EDC-1 Multitool has a D2 blade versus 154CM for the standalone knife.

The price is not that much more than a standalone Emerson Micro Commander knife albeit the EDC-1 Multitool has a D2 blade versus 154CM for the standalone knife.

I thought Ernie used 154cm on his knives so your average Joe could field sharpen them easier. So why the heck did he put D2 on a multitool :confused:

Personally, I look at the EDC-1 Multitool more as a tool and as such "probably" prefer the D2 steel over 154-CM for both its wear resistance and edge retention even though it's more difficult to sharpen.

I don't personally care for the design much. It looks rather gimmicky and uncomfortable, and I'm not sure why someone would want a wave on a multi-tool. What if I need to use the screw driver and the blade flys open? It's just an extra unnecessary step to close the blade and open the screw driver. A thumb disk minus the wave would be cool.

Does anyone know the closed length of this multitool?
I'm guessing 4"....

Good perspective and I'll add that to my list of reason's I should overlook the price. Only problem is the Micro Commander is made by Emerson and the EDC-1 isn't, which could be a plus or minus depending on you're perspective. But you're getting design by Emerson and Multitasker which would seem a ++.

I'll admit when I first saw the price I did frown a bit. But after watching the vids (which I recommend anyone do who is thinking about buying one) I was frowning less.
I still think its high, but I like the overall layout and the way they setup the screw drivers.

By the way, the price goes north of the base of $184.95. Add $5.00 for a serrated edge, $15+ for shipping and if in California (like me) another $17+ for sales tax. My final total was $222.53! Not cheap but it's a unique multitool centered around a superior knife. Only time will tell if it pans out for me in terms of EDC, utility and portability.

I don't personally care for the design much. It looks rather gimmicky and uncomfortable, and I'm not sure why someone would want a wave on a multi-tool. What if I need to use the screw driver and the blade flys open? It's just an extra unnecessary step to close the blade and open the screw driver. A thumb disk minus the wave would be cool.

my beta testers and i have been using various prototypes for the better part of a year, and the Wave blade has never been a hindrance.

I asked a question on the Multitasker Tools Facebook page about the design goals behind the EDC-1 Multitool and here's what they said:

... basically to update the SAK concept with something much more robust, with G10 scales and an Emerson blade with Wave opening capability ...

Later, I also asked about the physical dimensions of the EDC-1: open/closed length, blade length, weight, width and thickness. Haven't heard back yet.

My EDC-1 with serrated edge got shipped today and I should get it in a couple of days since Emerson HQ is only 25 miles south of me in L.A.

536014_10151552109411438_1523430443_n.jpg

Last edited:
I just got my plain edge EDC-1 today it feels sturdy and comfortable while cutting. Im going to carry it at work tonight and see how it does. Im always in need of a flat head (someone keeps stealing mine!!!) so we'll see how well the screw drivers work.

I just got my plain edge EDC-1 today it feels sturdy and comfortable while cutting. Im going to carry it at work tonight and see how it does. Im always in need of a flat head (someone keeps stealing mine!!!) so we'll see how well the screw drivers work.

Nice. Let us know how the tools work for you. Does it feel small and light enough for you?

I hate it when people permanently borrow my multitools.

So many of my Leathermans and SAKs went that route.

Received my EDC-1 today. Very impressive. The locks are stout and everything is over-engineered and solidly built.

In the first photo you'll see it next to a Leatherman Skeletool CX and the smaller Leatherman Style CS for size comparison.

The closed length is 4.25", weighs a little more than my Skeletool and definitely much thicker.

185790ce-a842-4664-8cf5-539d14dc7c6e_zps6cc0104d.jpg

1e5c741a-03fe-4d8d-b7fb-f507802ff143_zpsad894298.jpg

Available now at some knife dealers.

Specifications from KnifeCenter:

Blade Length: 2.9"
Closed Length: 4.5"
Overall Length: 6.875" (with main blade deployed)
Handle Thickness: 0.70"
Blade Material: D2 Steel, PVD Coated
Handle Scales: Black G10
Weight: 6.5 oz.

Blade Length: 2.9"
Closed Length: 4.5"
Overall Length: 6.875" (with main blade deployed)
Handle Thickness: 0.70"
Blade Material: D2 Steel, PVD Coated
Handle Scales: Black G10
Weight: 6.5 oz.

Given the size and weight, why would you choose this over a Leatherman or similar mutlitools that cost 1/2 to 1/4 as much? I don't get what niche this fills.

Back