Emerson Knives EDC-1 Multitool

Given the size and weight, why would you choose this over a Leatherman or similar mutlitools that cost 1/2 to 1/4 as much? I don't get what niche this fills.

My other EDC multitool is the Leatherman Skeletool CX. Both have primary blades with serrated edges. About the same size and weight although Skeletool is wider and EDC-1 is thicker. The EDC-1 fits my pocket better due to decreased width.

Personally, what sets EDC-1 apart is that it's built around a rapidly-deployable self-defense knife. The price difference of about $100 more for the EDC-1 is something each has to decide on their own.

Also, remember that the Emerson EDC-1 costs about the same as the Emerson Micro Commander.

Last edited:
I don't personally care for the design much.

I agree, and on top of that it looks way overpriced. I've never even heard of Multitasker tools until now. An $80 Leatherman or Swiss-Tool would probably be a better choice.

I've never even heard of Multitasker tools until now.

Multitasker Tools is famous amongst those who use AR15/M4 carbines. I myself have the Leatherman MUT for that purpose but the new Multitasker Tools Series 3 trumps everything for the AR15/M4.

On the EDC-1 now that I've carried it for a day I have one issue with it. I would've put the detachable prytool (with a bottle opener) and dual stepped hex wrench cutouts not on the grip but inserted it within the middle of the multitool. The G10 grip on either side (the other side has the big clip) is used very little so not as grippy as perhaps it could be. Not a show-stopper.

On the EDC-1 now that I've carried it for a day I have one issue with it. I would've put the detachable prytool (with a bottle opener) and dual stepped hex wrench cutouts not on the grip but inserted it within the middle of the multitool. The G10 grip on either side (the other side has the big clip) is used very little so not as grippy as perhaps it could be. Not a show-stopper.

that's actually a great idea for Gen2 - not sure if it's doable, but if it is - you just earned yourself a free sample

- Shane

that's actually a great idea for Gen2 - not sure if it's doable, but if it is - you just earned yourself a free sample

- Shane

Goodie!

I'm sure it'll look better and definitely give you a surer grip.

By the way, the wave partially opening the blade like my other Emersons is a great reason to have this knife + multitool.

I might have missed this somewhere, but is the blade chisel ground like other Emersons? I really hope not, because this little guy just jumped to the top of my wishlist and I'm not a big fan of the Emerson chisel grind.

I might have missed this somewhere, but is the blade chisel ground like other Emersons? I really hope not, because this little guy just jumped to the top of my wishlist and I'm not a big fan of the Emerson chisel grind.

Both the plain edge and serrated version are V ground. As far as the actual edge grinds go, the plain edge has a standard v ground edge, while the serrated version has a chisel ground edge.

Just got mine yesterday, carry it in my weekside pocket. It will still wave :). My locks were a bit sticky at first on the drivers, but they loosened up with some opening and closing. Blade was sharp, but I put a sharper edge on it with a ceramic. Overall great little tool. I will continue carrying this one.

Can the knife be opened comfortably in the left-hand? This would make the difference of me buying one or not.

Can the knife be opened comfortably in the left-hand? This would make the difference of me buying one or not.

Yes because on either side you'll use the Wave. I just opened and closed it with either hand and no issues.

Definitely got my eye on this one. Now I just need to convince myself to overlook the big ol' price tag and we'll be good to go. :D

Curious...where is the EDC-1 actually made. I noted that it is a designed partnership between Emerson and Multitasker, but I cannot see where it is actually made. We all know that Emerson Knives are made in USA.

I'm curious of anyones thoughts on this after having it for a long period of time. It is obviously way way way less functional than my Leatherman Wave, but the Leatherman Wave is just a tad too heavy for me. I was planning on selling it and going multitoolless for now but this Emerson seems like a possible nice choice. It seems more to me like an awesome blade with a few bonuses. How useful has the two screwdrivers been for anyone? They don't seem to cover many size options.

I received my EDC-1 a couple of weeks ago. Let me say that I was quite impressed with it. Very well made, great tool. In my opinion, it was very well thought out. I also have a couple Leatherman MUT's, and like those as well...However, I think there is a place for both.

Given the size and weight, why would you choose this over a Leatherman or similar mutlitools that cost 1/2 to 1/4 as much? I don't get what niche this fills.

Well it is more tactical than a Leatherman or a SAK, and it does give you the wrench bar.

Also it is at least as heavy as a similarly-equipped Victorinox with a one-handed knife like a Mini-Grip and a trendy pry/wrench bar.

I've definitely spent money in wiser and dumber ways than on one of these. If I had a little more of that and a lot more time or work to throw it at, I do think I'd try one of these. At the moment though I'm not the demographic they are looking for.

I'm really contemplating on getting one these. But I agree the price tag is a bit high.

Back