Emerson Sheepdog Flipper lacking detent

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm also in the what the hell boat, seems Emerson :

1.voids warranty if you sharpen a v edge on it.

2.Charges for ANY spare part.

3.Has 14.00 fee just to send your knife in for warranty.

4.charges a restocking fee for defective products....

Hmm.. no thanks. More for his loyal diehard people who "get it" and like being over charged at every corner.

I think Emerson has always had issues with the whole detent thing. And they always suffered IMO.
Being that this flipper thing is new to them. I am sure they will have plenty of kinks to work out before it is perfected.
As far as the charges and service they offer. I cannot say a thing. Never owned one myself.

Since someone asked about the exchange between the factory and myself, I went back to the emails and read through them, and they are suitable for posting I think to show the discussion that occured. Both professional and matter of fact

XXX's were added for privacy purposes in certain spots. Of course my username here on BF is my name so that didn't get Xed

My original email:

On Thu, Apr 2, 2015 at 2:56 PM, Bob Nery <xxxxx@gmail.com> wrote:
Subject: Refund

Message Body:
Evening

You all make a fantastic product, and I have never had any issue with any Emerson knife until now.
I just received order #xxx, the new Sheepdog, and I'm very disappointed with the functionality of it. I'm not a stickler for perfect fit and finish, or blade centering, but the detent on this knife is non existent, and the lock is incredibly sticky, even when deployed lightly. I'd imagine it would be even stickier with a strong detent throwing it open.

What do I need to do to return this. I have read your return policy, and while it is disheartening to pay a restocking fee, and shipping costs, I realize I agreed to that at point of sale. At this point I do not want a replacement Sheepdog, the idea that this left the factory with this level of quality is upsetting.

Thanks for your assistance on this
Bob Nery

The factory reply:
Dear Mr Nery,

Thank you for your inquiry. We apologize that you are not satisfied with the knife. You may return the knife to us by sending it to the address it was shipped from ALONG with a note explaining why you are returning it. You will be charged the restocking fee as well. Once again, we apologize.

Kind Regards,

xxxx

Emerson Knives Customer Service Team

Emerson Knives, Inc.
1234 254th St.
Harbor City, CA 90710

P 310.539.5633 | F 310.539.5609
info@emersonknives.com | www.emersonknives.com

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK
INSTAGRAM

You should have bought a Kershaw Emerson (I have two, both perfect knives). Kershaw has a great return/warranty service with no restocking fees!

Maybe this thread should be in the Emerson forum. That way the reps could take care of this better?

What's there to take care of? Unless they change there policy the Emerson rep can only abide by company rules.

Restocking fee on a defective product... what a load of crap. How greedy can they be? Bad customer service to say the least.
Maybe this thread should be in the Emerson forum. That way the reps could take care of this better?

Last edited:
You should have bought a Kershaw Emerson (I have two, both perfect knives). Kershaw has a great return/warranty service with no restocking fees!

This knife is not available anywhere other than directly through Emerson. The Kershaw/Emerson models are available all over the place, buying them directly from KAI is paying full MSRP instead of retail (more money). Makes little sense to spend more on something readily available from multiple sources aside from the manufacturer.

Nevermind, just thinking out loud.
Maybe these knives will be fine after the first run.

I'm out of the loop, i had no idea Ernie was in the flipper biz now....factory tripple action. :)

My buddy cut himself in hand with Horseman few times because such weak detent ball.

I like their designs, but their preformance...

emersonknives.com said:
Emerson Knives The Number One Hard Use Knives in the world.

You never should have been shipped that knife, and it's kind of absurd to hit you with a restocking fee given its condition.

That said, I have a hard time calling it a design flaw without a lot more data, particularly since it could be remedied on subsequent runs if it is, indeed, widespread in the first run. Frankly, despite all their accolades, Emerson has not really sxcelled at trying new things, and this knife has to be way outside their comfort zone. I applaud them, but even if I really wanted one I would stay far away until they have a few production runs under their belt and have the kinks worked out.

I think that you need to show them the Video you posted on here.....

That particular knife is not safe. You shouldn't have to pay for that.

Zero detent is the worst thing. I would rather have a lock that slips closed than a knife with zero detent.
That thing is a stitch magnet.

Post the Video on the Emerson Sub-Forum and maybe someone will wake up and see that the only thing owed anyone here is an apology, a refund/exchange/repair, and maybe a nice sticker or something.....

Wow, here we go.... I would love to know of a product where evey single customer that purchased it was completely satisfied. They don't exist. Our "restocking fee" is not a "fuck you" fee otherwise we would just call it that. We don't sugar coat things. It's hard to tell someone over the phone of they'll be charged or not when we haven't seen the knife. A restocking fee applies if no defect was found and it showed wear or it was returned without it's original box. Also if 7 days have passed since the date of purchase. This info is on our website. We're not the only company that charges that fee.

The OP had many options to take, he just took the one that he knew would turn into a great bash thread. We make things right. We could've sent out a replacement upon return of his or we could've fixed the issue and returned the original knife as well. Sorry but Internet videos don't count just as they wouldn't for any other product. We need to fully dissemble the knife to see if and or what the problem is. I can't persuade people to like us because they already have it in their minds to hate us and that's fine. We understand that. You can email rachael@emersonknives.com and she could help you out. Whomever the OP talked to gave him wrong information about the restocking fee and for that we apologize. How can we say we would charge a fee if we haven't seen the knife yet?! I feel like the OP was WANTING to get charged so that he could add more fuel to the fire here on the forums. please contact Rachael via email or call us Monday and talk to her directly.

Have a great Easter weekend.

Last edited:
^^^^ Now that's classy customer service right there.....

One thing is for sure, we don't really know the whole story, but we do know that that knife has no detent, and a response like this is kind of a 'Fuck you' .......

You could have simply said, "please contact X, send us the knife, and we will look at it. We apologize concerning any mis-understanding regarding the re-stocking fee, it does not apply if we find that this particular knife is defective as stated"

Opportunities come and go to change perceptions and win fans.
I guess you chose to pass on this one...

I was merely quoting another member here. I don't understand how telling the customer that we could remedy this on Monday if he talked to Rachael who is in charge of that department is wrong. Read through the posts. I didn't realize I was being critiqued on the way I put things. I am merely a rep here and I do not work for EKI. I'm here to point people in the right direction. If the customer wanted to talk to me over the phone on Easter weekend he could. All he has to do is send a private message. It's hard to portray emotion theough text.

You're right! I could've told the OP in the way that you quoted but to me that in itself sounds more like a "fuck you" automated message that shows no empathy. No one wants that. They want a message from a real person.

Last edited:
Read your initial post three times and tell me how it comes across....

My point is, it's critical on an open forum like this to use the 'customer is right' as your first reaction.
I have no doubt that Emerson wants to make this right, and is a good company with good business ethics.

If you start with the first post, you will see a knife that has a serious issue.
Best thing to do is to get that knife back to the plant.

No charges, no bs, no restocking, just get it back and inspect it.

After that, you can make the determination of which direction you want to go based on what you find.
A simple PM or post to that regard would have made this all go away.

This sub-forum is rampant with people who love to beat on issues like this, it's just the way it is.
This was a great opportunity to shut them up....

I'd like to hear what the OP wants to do. I already gave him options, all of which you have already mentioned. Sorry if I was brash. Seems these days a lot of people are becoming more and more sensitive. The OP could've also handle this better by sending me a private message first instead of starting a hate thread. Let us have a chance to make it right first don't you think? THATS how these things don't get started.

I'll wait for him to get ahold of me and in the meantime I'll enjoy being with my family this weekend.

Every company at times has prouducts that deserve attention

This is a fact

Reps should not speak in any other way than a polite helpful manner

This to is a fact :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back