Emerson Sheepdog Flipper lacking detent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow! It's like Thomas from KAI went to Emerson to be their new "Rep".

I like Emerson knives well enough... ...don't have any at the moment. I just can't understand the lack of professionalism shown here by their rep though. Just wow.

He acknowledges that they made a mistake in saying the OP would definitely be charged a restocking fee but then on the other hand takes it personally that the OP is upset by the (admittedly) misinformation.

I hope this [individual] doesn't truly represent Ernest Emerson's attitude toward customer service.

Wow, seriously dude? ...
Happy Easter.

Lefty, ER is not a customer service representative for Emerson Knife Incorporated, he is a moderator who donates his time as a courtesy to BladeForum and EKI. He said that the initial contact was not handled properly (in his opinion) by whomever the OP spoke with.

Neither. The manufacturer should determine if the product is defective, like any other manufacturer would.

Using that line of logic you can't even think for yourself...

Do you call up Emerson every time you have a question and ask them to tell you what to think?

If you have been around knives long enough, like most folks here, you can tell if something is broke or not.

Do you call up Emerson every time you have a question and ask them to tell you what to think?

If you have been around knives long enough, like most folks here, you can tell if something is broke or not.

I haven't held the knife in question, and neither have you I strongly suspect. I'm not accusing the OP of anything, but I'm not assuming anything either.

The manufacturer in question deserves the opportunity to evaluate IMHO.

I haven't held the knife in question, and neither have you I strongly suspect. I'm not accusing the OP of anything, but I'm not assuming anything either.

The manufacturer in question deserves the opportunity to evaluate IMHO.

If you don't know anything, don't assume anything, and can't have an opinion on anything, then why are you even in this discussion?

Its ok to have an opinion on something... thats what a discussion forum is for... discussion

What do YOU think of the knife you saw in the video?

And don't cop out and say you want the manufacturer to look at it first.. based on what you saw, what do YOU think?

Wow, seriously dude? That IS classy customer service. OP bought your product which to MOST people would be a very expensive knife. The knife was clearly a piece of junk and he gets hit with a bogus "fuck you fee" because he decided to return it. Instead of de-escalating the situation as you should have been trained to do, YOU throw more fuel on the fire when you accused him of doing all of this so that he could start a bash thread. Really? Buy a 200-300 $$ knife and "want to get charged" with a ridiculous fee so that we can start a bash thread? People can start bash threads anywhere on the internet ... FOR FREE. We could all go start one about your excellent customer service right now because of your responses and accusations.. and the "fuck you fee".

^^ Rasco is right on point here, with everything.

I will also echo that you - EmersonREP could have taken this turd of a situation and, at a very low cost to the company that you represent, polished it into a shining example of customer service that we could all hope to dream of. In this process you could have possibly even swayed some of us non-believers to your side or, at least, to look at Em in a little better light. Instead you chose the opposite of that and probably steered away many potential buyers - high cost to the company that you represent. Smart.

Supporting Emerson is not as black and white as buying your products or not. It also has to do with perception, even from the non Emerson buyers. While I no longer buy Emerson products I still appreciate many Emerson designs as well as other aspects of the company. If a new knife person is on these forums asking what knife to buy, as happens almost daily, I would have no problem recommending Emerson to them if the knife fit their needs.

After reading your post I have lost the inclination to even recommend your products. Do you understand how that works? For the cost of you taking a little more time to REPresent your company in a positive manner instead of showing us how much of a badass you are, and possibly a cheap part or two you could have brought in many more potential buyers, fans and knife lovers who appreciate a company with good customer service and warranty procedures.

Now, on top of mediocre products at a high price point with spotty quality control you have also highlighted poor customer service, bad warranty standard operating procedures, and the fact that Em utilizes a sassy REP who free throws bogus accusations to dis-satisfied customers.
:thumbdn:
Happy Easter.

Wow, are we even reading the same post??? A guy post a bash thread and video. ER, says let them take a look at the knife, then they'll determine what is wrong with it and go from there. All of this on Easter Weekend, while he is spending time with his family . Are you going to complain if he doesn't respond on Easter, because he's with his family celebrating the Holiday and not answering threads???
Emerson should have a tag line that says they are not for everybody.
Only for those people that like dependable quality products, backed by a great guarantee, all made American made!

If you don't know anything, don't assume anything, and can't have an opinion on anything, then why are you even in this discussion?

Its ok to have an opinion on something... thats what a discussion forum is for... discussion

Feel free go go back and carefully reread my posts - they clearly show my desired input in this thread my friend. I have no quarrel with you, but there is always two sides (at least) to every story.

What do YOU think of the knife you saw in the video?

And don't cop out and say you want the manufacturer to look at it first.. based on what you saw, what do YOU think?

As to the second part, I am not "copping out" to say the manufacturer should determine the condition with respect to defect the OP alleges. Again, I do not wish to impugn the OP, but it is not hard to make any product appear to fail for a video. It is indeed quite possible this knife has a problem, and if so, I have the utmost confidence that EKI will treat the OP fairly in spite of this public airing of grievance.

Based on the shear number of " Oh knows wat shud I do is this normal" type threads, I must say you are way off base.

Wow, are we even reading the same post??? A guy post a bash thread and video. ER, says let them take a look at the knife, then they'll determine what is wrong with it and go from there. All of this on Easter Weekend, while he is spending time with his family . Are you going to complain if he doesn't respond on Easter, because he's with his family celebrating the Holiday and not answering threads???
Emerson should have a tag line that says they are not for everybody.
Only for those people that like dependable quality products, backed by a great guarantee, all made American made!

I believe that we are reading the same post but maybe your comprehension of the same words is different. If you read the original post it was not a "bash thread" in any way. In fact, the very first words he typed were "PREFACE: Emerson makes a good folder, and I have never had an issue with quality until now" That is him taking precaution so that he does not offend anyone. He admitted to agreeing to their purchase terms and then went on to describe his problem. I don't see any bashing there.

Now in response to your comment about EMREP spending time with his family etc. and "was I going to complain if he doesn't respond on Easter" ??
That has nothing to do with anything that I posted. I had specific complaints about Emerson and I listed them. No where in that list was anything about EMREP being expected to respond on Easter. As I also noted, his responses weren't very beneficial to Emerson's reputation in the first place so why would I want to hear from him further, on Easter no less?

I went on to say that I appreciate some of Emerson's designs as well as other elements of the company. Number one on that list I will agree with you on, being American made. The "dependable quality product, backed by a great guarantee" are debatable. In this specific case, OP's product was neither dependable or of good quality, and the main issue here is the "guarantee" A.K.A. "restocking fee" or "fuck you fee" that will be applied if you want to return a defective product. Thanks for your time.

and the main issue here is the "guarantee" A.K.A. "restocking fee" or "frak you fee" that will be applied if you want to return a defective product. Thanks for your time.

EmRep said that the OP got poor information on that front and that if the knife comes back defective it wont apply.

Last edited:
I just roll my Fuck You fee right into the original purchase price. :D

Wow, seriously dude? That IS classy customer service. OP bought your product which to MOST people would be a very expensive knife. The knife was clearly a piece of junk and he gets hit with a bogus "fuck you fee" because he decided to return it. Instead of de-escalating the situation as you should have been trained to do, YOU throw more fuel on the fire when you accused him of doing all of this so that he could start a bash thread. Really? Buy a 200-300 $$ knife and "want to get charged" with a ridiculous fee so that we can start a bash thread? People can start bash threads anywhere on the internet ... FOR FREE. We could all go start one about your excellent customer service right now because of your responses and accusations.. and the "fuck you fee".

^^ Rasco is right on point here, with everything.

I will also echo that you - EmersonREP could have taken this turd of a situation and, at a very low cost to the company that you represent, polished it into a shining example of customer service that we could all hope to dream of. In this process you could have possibly even swayed some of us non-believers to your side or, at least, to look at Em in a little better light. Instead you chose the opposite of that and probably steered away many potential buyers - high cost to the company that you represent. Smart.

Supporting Emerson is not as black and white as buying your products or not. It also has to do with perception, even from the non Emerson buyers. While I no longer buy Emerson products I still appreciate many Emerson designs as well as other aspects of the company. If a new knife person is on these forums asking what knife to buy, as happens almost daily, I would have no problem recommending Emerson to them if the knife fit their needs.

After reading your post I have lost the inclination to even recommend your products. Do you understand how that works? For the cost of you taking a little more time to REPresent your company in a positive manner instead of showing us how much of a badass you are, and possibly a cheap part or two you could have brought in many more potential buyers, fans and knife lovers who appreciate a company with good customer service and warranty procedures.

Now, on top of mediocre products at a high price point with spotty quality control you have also highlighted poor customer service, bad warranty standard operating procedures, and the fact that Em utilizes a sassy REP who free throws bogus accusations to dis-satisfied customers.
:thumbdn:
Happy Easter.

^^^^ Thanks guys, said better than I could. I will respond to others later. On way out the door

^^^^ Thanks guys, said better than I could. I will respond to others later. On way out the door

Did you take note of my post informing that ER is not a CSR (or employee for that matter) at Emerson Knife? He is a moderator here, which is precisely the point. "Here" isn't the place to fix this issue. Give the manufacturer the chance to make it right before going "public" with it. And as much as today's society wants immediate gratification, that "chance" isn't over the phone.

I'm curious what's wrong with that company that often cheap ~$30 Kershaw Emerson is better made than original for ~$250 made in USA? Maybe they should move with production to Taiwan like Spyderco? It will be cheaper and probably better made.

I'm curious what's wrong with that company that often cheap ~$30 Kershaw Emerson is better made than original for ~$250 made in USA? Maybe they should move with production to Taiwan like Spyderco? It will be cheaper and probably better made.

If you want a Taiwanese built knife, there are plenty of options. Your post is the epitome of why a charged reaction can occur in this subforum in threads of this type. I'll grant you benefit of the doubt with only 47 posts, but this is an Emerson subforum. That means Emerson fans populate this subforum. Which in turn means we like what Emerson Knife Incorporated is, not what it isn't.

And you should learn a bit more about knives if you truly think a Kershaw Emerson is "better made" than a real Emerson.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back