Emerson Sheepdog

Here is my spear-point version.
I de-waved it and educed the size of the flipper to match the handle lines. She still flips fine.
I like the more "streamlined" look.
This knife is so smooth due to the bearings, it opens with just a flick of the wrist or thumb.

Attachments

• IMG_1544.jpg
    IMG_1544.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 158
Nicely done! Is the detent on your light enough that actual force isn't required to deploy the blade. Mine was soft enough that I could smack my forearm with my other hand and the knife would open. It would have probably opened if I was holding it and sneezed. I ended pushing the detent ball out a little to increase the closed tension. It's on par with my ZT0777 now and absolutely love it. Now I want to get my hands on the spearpoint model.

I de-waved it and educed the size of the flipper to match the handle lines. She still flips fine.
This knife is so smooth due to the bearings, it opens with just a flick of the wrist or thumb.

That looks INCREDIBLE.

I would buy one in a hearbeat if they came like that.

Do you have a picture of it closed? I'm just curious about how much flipper is actually left.

I saw a picture of it closed. There's isn't a whole lot left. Looks to be about the initial measurements I made from mine, 3mm in height. A little baby flipper. Looks to work just fine but I prefer a larger flipper for ease of use. Had some smaller knives with small flippers and my finger would miss from time to time.

If any of you are looking to get one "pimped", Yester does great work!:thumbup:

I just got one of these last night with the bowie blade. The action is much better than I had expected and compares favorably with any other flipper I own or have handled. Great handle, great blade, and great action, this may be one of my new favorites.

You know I just noticed something. The sheepdog is not serialized. Is this something new with the year being removed or just no serial no. on this model.

You know I just noticed something. The sheepdog is not serialized. Is this something new with the year being removed or just no serial no. on this model.

Didn't even notice tI'll I saw this post. Not sure if it will continue with the other models, it may be because of the other logos on the blade. I like to see minimal markings on the blade so I would be all for no serial number.

The Emerson RangeMaster Sheepdog Bowie Flipper Stonewash Plain is available now at GPKNIVES.

Has anyone tried this particular model and how does the flipper action compare to some other flippers you've tried?

Dealer says f&f and lockup look good on these new models.......I'm looking forward to seeing them.

Sure would like it to be a bit bigger. closer to a 13 in size......but it is what it is.

Looks great. Out of the box, worked great. Briefly. Then started locking up.

Not just a sticky lock. The more I flipped it, the harder it was to close. I'm guessing that the liner lock moves over a tiny bit with each flip until something catches on it.

Now it sometimes takes two hands to close. And even that is difficult. I've already sacrificed part of a thumbnail.

Also starting to get blade play.

Called the dealer, great people who had handpicked this at my request. He said I got the best of the bunch and advised that Emerson's are known to be sticky.

I really wanted to love this. I am so disappointed.

Give it some more time. The locks break in as well. Blade play? Pictures? Did you loosen the pivot at all? The bearing system doesn't need to be messed with. The pivot just needs to be snugged tight. This "blade play" you're referring to, horizontal or vertical?

Last edited:
Give it some more time. The locks break in as well. Blade play? Pictures? Did you loosen the pivot at all? The bearing system doesn't need to be messed with. The pivot just needs to be snugged tight. This "blade play" you're referring to, horizontal or vertical?

Thanks.

Yes, horizontal.

I had intended to give it more time but this is not a traditional "sticky" lock. The blade freezes in lockup when flipped. Instead of better, it gets worse with use and even harder to close.

I had a Curtiss F3 with same symptoms. I was on the phone with Dave Curtiss when he examined it. He recognized immediately that something was not right. The lock was catching on something. He said he would file something down (I think on the lockbar.)

I just got the Curtiss back and it now flips perfectly. My Emerson came that same day with the same symptom.

Last edited:
Back