Emerson Sheepdog

Sort of glad to hear i am not alone in problems. Hope it gets worked out for you though.

Not glad there is problems for you though, sorry I left that off

I know what you meant. It has become a challenge for sure. Mine is somewhat functional now.

PS - I did not want to post in that other "messy" thread. :)

Even with many reapplications of sharpie on the lock face it's still sticky when the sharpie wears off. It locks both early which is easy to unlock and in the middle which is tough. This is by far the worst I've encountered in any folder. This is easily remedied if the factory would harden the titanium lock face like Fantoni and others do.

Respectfully, the knife is probably not breaking in because of the Sharpie.

To break in Emersons, I de-grease the lock and blade tang and deal with the stick. At some point, it is all of a sudden perfect.

Sharpie, or any other coating, will halt the break in process and just mask the problem.

Respectfully, the knife is probably not breaking in because of the Sharpie.

To break in Emersons, I de-grease the lock and blade tang and deal with the stick. At some point, it is all of a sudden perfect.

Sharpie, or any other coating, will halt the break in process and just mask the problem.

I have also removed all sharpie and cleaned/degreased lock contact points but it's even stickier afterwards. Regardless, I'll try all iterations but stand by the statement that this is the stickiest lock I've ever encountered.

I received my Spearpoint Sheepdog the other day and it arrived a little sticky but it is already getting better. I LOVE the flipper, this knife is about the most fun blade to play with that I have ever owned! My wife is sick of the click noises. It is going to be hard to find a EDC knife that I love more than this one.

They will break in over time but I'd rather have a sticky lock than not.

I agree with this comment. I like that the tolerances are so tight that it sticks, I know it will break in and be perfect.

One concern I have is with the ball bearings. Any thoughts on if they are as heavy duty as washers?

Last edited:
Supposedly the ball bearings are not as strong, but no one has broken them yet (or you'd see it all over youtube right?). :)

I'm used to the Spyderco Manix 2, and it uses a ball bearing for the lock so, ball bearings are tough in general. Bikes have used them also very successfully.

Supposedly the ball bearings are not as strong, but no one has broken them yet (or you'd see it all over youtube right?). :)

I'm used to the Spyderco Manix 2, and it uses a ball bearing for the lock so, ball bearings are tough in general. Bikes have used them also very successfully.

Well no, but it does for the detent. CRK uses a ceramic bearing lock interface (as well as detent) on Sebenza 25's and Umnumzaan's.

Well no, but it does for the detent. CRK uses a ceramic bearing lock interface (as well as detent) on Sebenza 25's and Umnumzaan's.
I don't understand what part you're disagreeing with. the Spyderco uses a ball bearing inside of a clear plastic cage acting as its lock. it directly contacts the tang of the blade.
My point was to how strong a ball bearing actually is

I don't understand what part you're disagreeing with. the Spyderco uses a ball bearing inside of a clear plastic cage acting as its lock. it directly contacts the tang of the blade.
My point was to how strong a ball bearing actually is

My apologies, I totally read over (as in completely missed) the Spyderco Manix 2 part. I thought you were referring to the Sheepdog.

My Sheepdog is braking in so nice! I will make a video and post it so you can all see how the liner lock is functioning.

When I consider how I will use this knife, the ball bearing will hold up great. Today I was using it to trim branches on my trees and then after I cleaned it I used it to cut my sandwich.

I can't get over how smooth it is.

Final report after the one in post #98.

The lock is no longer sticky and locks up early. It took several hundred open/close cycles.

Put a small drop of blue loctite on the pivot screw after centering the blade. Now, the pivot screw no longer comes loose and the blade is perfectly centered.

The detent is indeed weak but it's not so weak as for the blade to swing open due to gravity. It's not unsafe for me. I have other folders with similar weak detents.

Love the Bowie blade shape.

Overall, it's a keeper.

I picked up a Rangemaster Sheepdog Bowie from our friends at Rivers' Edge Cutlery two days ago (Friday)

This is my first Emerson.

And this is probably my favorite knife now. The action on this thing is amazeballs. I can open it in more ways and with more fingers than I can my (Spyderco) PM2 or Domino.

I disassembled the knife, removed the factory lubricant, and re-assembled with Frog Lube. It was already buttery smooth, but it's just incredible now.

Sure, it had *bad* lock stick as I walked out of the store. But it has sorted itself within the 2 days that I've had the blade.

My only complaint/worry is that the lockup on mine is a bit "late" - it sets just a shade past center on the back of the blade. But it's rock solid.

Overall, though, this thing is outstanding. The detent is perfect. Doesn't need to be any more than it is. It's as good or better than my (full size) Griptillian and we don't hear people complaining about those - and they don't even really have a detent (axis lock.) This detent holds the blade closed and gives just enough for a smooth, secure flip. No need for more.

I absolutely love this blade.

^^That's fantastic to hear! I wouldn't worry about the lock-up too much. If it ever becomes a issue down the road, send it in to EKI. I have one and absolutely love it! Fun to play with too!:D

I was considering sending it off to a customizer to see if I could get the lock bar carbidized - perhaps built up a thou or two - that would improve it's wear characteristics and move it back to the left. We'll see.

{posted 5/31}

Well, I'm back to this thread 9 hours later.

I've had the Sheepdog for about 48 hours - I got it Friday afternoon {5/29}.

The lock on it went from sticky, to perfect, to wore smooth out.

Now it travels to 100% and there's lock rock (vertical play and you can feel the springyness on the lockbar.)

That's totally and completely unacceptable - wear a flipper smooth out in 2 days? One that I paid over $200 for?

Really?

Should I have any faith that a replaced liner is going to behave any differently?

And after 48 hours of ownership I might have to send it off for a lengthy period to be "repaired?"

A $225 knife?!?

I'm thinking I should go back to the retailer and get a refund. This is crazy.

=EDIT=

*sigh*

Obviously, I'm frustrated.

At this point, I sincerely hope that I'm just not screwed out of $225.

=EDIT 2=

Update 6/1

Just talked to Rivers' Edge and they were very straight up in saying they'll take it back for a refund, exchange, or to facilitate a repair - whichever I prefer. So my hat is off to those good folks.

Still surprised and disappointed (with this knife) that the situation exists, but thanks again to Rivers' Edge.

Last edited:
River's Edge is good folk, I like to stop in there, assuming you are talking about Hilliard (Columbus) Ohio.

The Sheepdog was my first (purchased new) Emerson as well.

Loved the design, but terribly disappointed in the QC.

Takeaway -- if you still want to roll the dice, be sure to buy from a dealer with a friendly return policy.

{posted 5/31}

Well, I'm back to this thread 9 hours later.

I've had the Sheepdog for about 48 hours - I got it Friday afternoon {5/29}.

The lock on it went from sticky, to perfect, to wore smooth out.

Now it travels to 100% and there's lock rock (vertical play and you can feel the springyness on the lockbar.)

That's totally and completely unacceptable - wear a flipper smooth out in 2 days? One that I paid over $200 for?

Really?

Should I have any faith that a replaced liner is going to behave any differently?

And after 48 hours of ownership I might have to send it off for a lengthy period to be "repaired?"

A $225 knife?!?

I'm thinking I should go back to the retailer and get a refund. This is crazy.

=EDIT=

*sigh*

Obviously, I'm frustrated.

At this point, I sincerely hope that I'm just not screwed out of $225.

=EDIT 2=

Update 6/1

Just talked to Rivers' Edge and they were very straight up in saying they'll take it back for a refund, exchange, or to facilitate a repair - whichever I prefer. So my hat is off to those good folks.

Still surprised and disappointed (with this knife) that the situation exists, but thanks again to Rivers' Edge.
Sir, just a suggestion but, have you considered having it customized? Nathawut Customized on Facebook can do some crazy cool stuff and give you a tank of a bolster framelock. He's not cheap and there's a bit of a wait but, from what I've seen he is one of the best I've seen.

Last edited:
Back