Recommendation? ESEE 4 S35VN or Fallkniven F1?

Which all-rounder fixed blade?

• ESEE 4 S35VN

Votes: 18 52.9%
  • Fallkniven F1 VGWOLF

Votes: 12 35.3%
  • Ursus Cub Magnacut

Votes: 4 11.8%

• Total voters
So now that ESEE 4 comes in S35VN, and price is almost a wash between the two, what would be the best choice for a “do it all” day-hike and camp knife vs the Fallkniven F1? Presumably the VGWOLF version based on price and availability.

Also throwing in the new Ursus Cub as a wild card… I’ll sometimes (but not always) be carrying an ESEE 6 in my backpack (more for fun and less for true need), so maybe I can get away with the shorter blade? That said, I’m a big guy so was thinking to stay in 4” range, and also guessing handle might be a little small. To that point, I’m guessing I’d need to buy TKC extended scales for the ESEE, bumping the price a bit.

Thanks!

Update: Ended up going with an ESEE 3!

Last edited:
Do it all type knife — I’d consider 1095 steel.
ESEE’s heat treat on their 1095 is no joke.
S35VN isn’t a slouch; but it’s not designed for beating the snot out of.

My $0.02

Fallkniven f1 for a big guy-the handle might be a tad too small. Fallknvien is popular for small handles (Swedish ppl have small hands???) I think the esee s35vn might be perfect with the sclaes. As a gentleman said that s35vn is not for beating the snot out-its still full warranty and I doubt it will break with normal use unless you have a defect. Either way-go out have fun, the more we stay in the woods the better.
Cheers🍺

I think the esee 4 is a bit chunky for cutting tasks and prefer the three.

The F1 is quite good for cutting tasks so that would be my pick.

I had the ESEE 4 with extended handles and didn't like it, (they may have improved the ergos on the TKC handles by now). The behind the edge thickness was problematic for most slicing needs and the blade was too heavy for the size. I actually prefer the ESEE 3 with the original scales because of weight and cutting performance. Check out the Turner CNC jackalope XL , it seems like a great 4 inch EDC outdoor knife with a hand filling grip while staying in and overall small footprint.

So now that ESEE 4 comes in S35VN, and price is almost a wash between the two, what would be the best choice for a “do it all” day-hike and camp knife vs the Fallkniven F1? Presumably the VGWOLF version based on price and availability.

Also throwing in the new Ursus Cub as a wild card… I’ll sometimes (but not always) be carrying an ESEE 6 in my backpack (more for fun and less for true need), so maybe I can get away with the shorter blade? That said, I’m a big guy so was thinking to stay in 4” range, and also guessing handle might be a little small. To that point, I’m guessing I’d need to buy TKC extended scales for the ESEE, bumping the price a bit.

Thanks!
If you are willing to get a custom-Rob evans mk2 or mk1 is perfect, he can make bigger handle for you. It's worth it the extra trust me, and Rob is a good guy to deal with!

I disliked the F1 in hand, enough so that I never used it. I also preferred many knives over the Esee4, so I only used that a couple times. If you're set on choosing between the two, I'd pick the Esee (though I've never tried their S35Vn, and would not be inclined to do so).

vTFT5oc.jpeg

3V Master Hunter. Better steel, bigger handle. A little smart shopping and you can pick one up for $120.

Last edited:
Is Fallkniven's warranty as good as ESEE's? VG10 steel?
What Fallkniven calls VGWolf is Takefu's VG7.

Some other aspects to consider:
-Grind
Fallkniven F1 VGW Convex
Esee 4 S35V Flat

-Weight
Fallkniven F1 VGW 5.29oz
Esse 4 S35V 8.0 oz

-Price
Fallkniven F1 VGW $159.95
Esee 4 S35V $165.95

I agree that I would consider the ESEE 3 in S35VN, and I agree that I would get the TKC extended scales. I have one and I’ve been pretty happy with it.

The choil is by biggest issue with that knife, so I might recommend the ESEE Ashley Game Knife in S35VN or the Zancudo in S35VN. I have neither, but the steel is fantastic, and the designs are more utilitarian for a similarly sized knife as the ESEE 3. Bonus- they’ve got great scales already installed. If I could go back in time, I would have gone that way, instead.

The extra inch and thickness on the ESEE 4 just isn’t worth it, especially for a hiking knife.

Also, completely unsolicited plug for another knife you didn’t ask about… I’ve been doing some hiking lately and my belt knife has been the Mora Kansbol. I know, I know… scandi grind and sandvik 12C27… but it’s done great for me and it’s so light I forget I’m wearing it. Great handle and sheath, too.

vTFT5oc.jpeg

3V Master Hunter. Better steel, bigger handle. A little smart shopping and you can pick one up for $130.
Absolutely, and I have to say that for something that competes very directly with the Falkniven F1, there’s also the SRK-C. A hair bigger, but it’s a great alternative also with molded handle, and available in 3v frequently for under $100. You lose some
belly compared to the Master Hunter, but gain some point.

Another competitor to the Falkniven is the Benchmade 200. Its a great knife and nearly identical in size to the F1.

Thanks!

I'd wait till the F1 comes in Elmax. Rumors are this summer.

Is Fallkniven's warranty as good as ESEE's? VG10 steel?

No. Fallknivens warranty is crap.

If something happens with the knife Fallkniven will blame YOU, even though the issue may have been with the knife.

Also years ago on their website they wrote chopping would void the warranty, they have since removed that though.

Last edited:
I agree that I would consider the ESEE 3 in S35VN, and I agree that I would get the TKC extended scales. I have one and I’ve been pretty happy with it.

The choil is by biggest issue with that knife, so I might recommend the ESEE Ashley Game Knife in S35VN or the Zancudo in S35VN. I have neither, but the steel is fantastic, and the designs are more utilitarian for a similarly sized knife as the ESEE 3. Bonus- they’ve got great scales already installed. If I could go back in time, I would have gone that way, instead.

The extra inch and thickness on the ESEE 4 just isn’t worth it, especially for a hiking knife.
If going that small, any reason not to consider the Ursus Cub instead? I know the ESEE is a little longer, but it also has the choil,

If going that small, any reason not to consider the Ursus Cub instead? I know the ESEE is a little longer, but it also has the choil,
I don’t have the Ursus Cub so I borrowed a pic from one of the good folks at BCUSA showing the cub vs the Backpacker, and took a crappy pic of my backpacker next to the esee AGK to give you a better handle length comparison.
IMG_0930.jpeg

9yO73aF.jpeg

the space on the choil isn't completely useless- it still represents usable blade length, as when carving a roast at camp, it just represents not the most efficient use of blade length.
Unfortunately, I don't have an Ursus Cub, and I can't really recommend for or against.
It looks nice enough, and Magnacut is by all accounts a great steel.

I am an ESEE fan, generally speaking, because everything gets tested by the people who make them, and they have the best warrantee in the business.
It's a good product and you can customize it with quality after market scales.

the space on the choil isn't completely useless- it still represents usable blade length, as when carving a roast at camp, it just represents not the most efficient use of blade length.
Unfortunately, I don't have an Ursus Cub, and I can't really recommend for or against.
It looks nice enough, and Magnacut is by all accounts a great steel.

I am an ESEE fan, generally speaking, because everything gets tested by the people who make them, and they have the best warrantee in the business.
It's a good product and you can customize it with quality after market scales.
I wish esee had some kind of agreement with dealers in eu, cause if it breaks its a pain in the neck to ship to US...

Back