Recommendation? ESEE 4 S35VN or Fallkniven F1?

Which all-rounder fixed blade?

• ESEE 4 S35VN

Votes: 18 52.9%
  • Fallkniven F1 VGWOLF

Votes: 12 35.3%
  • Ursus Cub Magnacut

Votes: 4 11.8%

• Total voters
F1 is a military (pilot) knife for the Arctic regions hence the small handle - it accommodates you're wearing gloves. Obviously you can use it without too.
Good point, for me even with a s1x and gloves I can't like it. That's why I'm letong the S1x go, anyone wants it?šŸ˜

At one time I carried and used ESEE knives quite a lot in the outdoors, and I preferred the 3 to the 4, thinner and lighter but still plenty big enough for my purposes. Always did prefer the S35VN version to the 1095, but I have always tended to use knives for slicing tasks more so than "beat the snot out of them" tools. Had a Falkniven F1 for a while, but never really got along with it personally. Can't comment on the White River blade but they do look nice. Sometime I may try out one of the backpackers, I'm a sucker for small fixed blades to keep in my hiking pack.

Good point, for me even with a s1x and gloves I can't like it. That's why I'm letong the S1x go, anyone wants it?šŸ˜

The A1 has a prefect grip, never tried the S1 but I know many has complained about the thin handle. Is the S1 similar to the F1 when we talk handles?

Ah, not a fan of those. Sold my F1x pretty fast, heavy and those rubber slabs was kinda garbage imho.

Regular A1 on the other hand is a winner as I said.
The handle is just the most gruesome horrible handle iv had, and no one is buying the s1x from me-other option I'll make a new handle for it out of micarta and pins, would probably grind off the finger guard section that is needed for it to be held in the sheath.
Was thinking of doing handles for people's x versions.

Do it all type knife ā€” Iā€™d consider 1095 steel.
ESEEā€™s heat treat on their 1095 is no joke.
S35VN isnā€™t a slouch; but itā€™s not designed for beating the snot out of.

My $0.02
To be honest, I have a BK16 I really like, so if 1095 is the way to go maybe I should stick with that. I think Iā€™d prefer stainless though. Hate messing with coatings and patinas.
I had the ESEE 4 with extended handles and didn't like it, (they may have improved the ergos on the TKC handles by now). The behind the edge thickness was problematic for most slicing needs and the blade was too heavy for the size. I actually prefer the ESEE 3 with the original scales because of weight and cutting performance. Check out the Turner CNC jackalope XL , it seems like a great 4 inch EDC outdoor knife with a hand filling grip while staying in and overall small footprint.
Good to know about the TKC handles, thanks. So the ESEE 3 would be big/tough enough to be a ā€œonly one I have with meā€ knife?

To be honest, I have a BK16 I really like, so if 1095 is the way to go maybe I should stick with that. I think Iā€™d prefer stainless though. Hate messing with coatings and patinas.

Good to know about the TKC handles, thanks. So the ESEE 3 would be big/tough enough to be a ā€œonly one I have with meā€ knife?
I would have no problem trusting the ESEE 3 to be tough enough. Big enough is up to you, but in general I think we overestimate how much blade we really need.

I would have no problem trusting the ESEE 3 to be tough enough. Big enough is up to you, but in general I think we overestimate how much blade we really need.
So on that train of thoughtā€¦ would something like the White River Backpacker be a good alternative? I have one, and it feels good in hand, but I just keep thinking Iā€™d want more blade. Granted I havenā€™t taken it anywhere yet.

Bought two F1 models, gave one to my Father. Just really attractive looking knives, with a great distal taper and convex grind.

He used his once to gut a single deer and it chipped way more than any knife should.

After that, I never even used mine. I just admire it once in a while.

My ESEE knives all perform as expected.

So on that train of thoughtā€¦ would something like the White River Backpacker be a good alternative? I have one, and it feels good in hand, but I just keep thinking Iā€™d want more blade. Granted I havenā€™t taken it anywhere yet.
In reality it's more of a want. Controversial opinion warning:youtube and knife manufacturers have made us belive that we need more and more and more blade and they make them more thick than needed(affects the **** out of cuting preformance) just so they wouldn't run in any warranty claims etc(this is an overexaduration). It's a personal preference I guess. Logical questions to ask your self:will you really baton with it? If so will you baton anything more than tad thicker wrist thick wood? Or would you rather have a slicer that just does get the job done(feather sticks, food prep, carving) and also will baton small kindling while not affecting cuting preformance, and trust me if you don't do something that's not supposed to be done you'll be happy and set. Same thing with: we could go hunt with a 50cal, but it isn't practical smaller cal will do the job and won't be a pain in the neck.

CheersšŸŗ

In reality it's more of a want. Controversial opinion warning:youtube and knife manufacturers have made us belive that we need more and more and more blade and they make them more thick than needed(affects the **** out of cuting preformance) just so they wouldn't run in any warranty claims etc(this is an overexaduration). It's a personal preference I guess. Logical questions to ask your self:will you really baton with it? If so will you baton anything more than tad thicker wrist thick wood? Or would you rather have a slicer that just does get the job done(feather sticks, food prep, carving) and also will baton small kindling while not affecting cuting preformance, and trust me if you don't do something that's not supposed to be done you'll be happy and set. Same thing with: we could go hunt with a 50cal, but it isn't practical smaller cal will do the job and won't be a pain in the neck.

CheersšŸŗ
Absolutely! I never have, and do not plan to baton, unless I truly find myself in a survival situation, at which point Iā€™ll find myself wishing I had actually learned some survival skills beyond watching History Channel.

No, my true use case is cutting and trimming walking sticks for my kids, in the most enjoyable way possible, and not worrying about rust. In other words, desk jockey wants a fun outdoor tool that will also be adequate for survival should the worst happen.

Which really is probably why when I think blade length Iā€™m not going for overkill nor am I going for ā€œwhatā€™s the smallest I can get away withā€, but ā€œwhatā€™s practical and comfortable for me?ā€

Sorry for the rambling haha

Absolutely! I never have, and do not plan to baton, unless I truly find myself in a survival situation, at which point Iā€™ll find myself wishing I had actually learned some survival skills beyond watching History Channel.

No, my true use case is cutting and trimming walking sticks for my kids, in the most enjoyable way possible, and not worrying about rust. In other words, desk jockey wants a fun outdoor tool that will also be adequate for survival should the worst happen.

Which really is probably why when I think blade length Iā€™m not going for overkill nor am I going for ā€œwhatā€™s the smallest I can get away withā€, but ā€œwhatā€™s practical and comfortable for me?ā€

Sorry for the rambling haha
Then I think you don't need anything more mate, don't spend your hard earned money, unless you want a new knife then ofcourse its not waste!

CheersšŸŗ

I think being honest with ourselves is really important.
We find we like the idea of something regardless of how remote the chance is we'll need to use that feature.

I believe, deep in my soul, that survival won't be made or broken by your ability to beat on a knife.
Now that said, I'd feel completely comfortable battoning my ESEE 3 in S35VN- in fact i've done some moderate battoning with mine.
My only annoyance is that the scales will shift around a little, but that's hardly a big deal.

People native to Finland survive with knives that are much lighter weight in much colder temperatures than we'll ever see.
Stick tangs are perfectly acceptable and I've got a number of Puuko knives which are fantastic for what you're looking for.

Back