ESEE 5 Complete Review

While out today, I came across a large amount of carboard that could have been cut...but strangely I did not feel the urge...

f1x0i9b.jpeg

Went down to the river to get pictures, which brings me to another part of the review: How I have been carrying it.

In the woods I had it on a shoulder strap attachment, but around the city I have been carrying it in my backpack.
Here you can see how it is a tad less long than the backpack is wide:

3FcQoUv.jpeg

This allows for it to lay sideways at the bottom of the "laptop pocket" compartment.
I can fit bigger knives such as the ESEE Junglas in the pack, but it sits vertically and leaning across, taking up quite a bit of space.
The ESEE 5 just sits at the bottom out of the way, not impeding my ability to carry other things.

Oh, and for people who think "It's too thick! How will I cut dainty slices of my fancy cheese?"
Well, you do realize you are allowed to carry more than one knife at a time, right? ;)

SYZA5QE.jpeg

JGapYWU.jpeg

It also keeps your coffee safe in Tim Hortons:

ALJMWXH.jpeg

But how does it do at cutting things, things like, oh, meat?

vKn0nzz.jpeg

Really well, actually. :)

bnbf6hb.jpeg

Got rid of all that gross fat I didn't feel like eating.

And of course, it will cut up ugly onion pieces for you:

wATEecW.jpeg

So yeah, it is proving to be a completely usable knife. :cool:

Just curious how did you get them to send it to you to review?
Just contacted them.
Told them I was not a famous YouTuber or anything; was honest about where I post and such.

Mentioned my participation in the ESEE Knives Mega-Contest back in 2010 (which I totally lost :)), and that was pretty much it.

I honestly figured they'd not bother replying or simply say "No" seeing as I am not someone who a bunch of folks hang on their every word, but the Knife Gods smiled upon me. :thumbsup:

Hence I continue in my endeavour to do a review that will prove to be worthwhile to people, hopefully. :cool:

It's been a lot of fun so far, and I've learned some things, including how impressively tough polycarbonate is!
Definitely choosing it over Plexiglass if I ever replace my windows or install something as an impact guard.

Last edited:
Just contacted them.
Told them I was not a famous YouTuber or anything; was honest about where I post and such.

Mentioned my participation in the ESEE Knives Mega-Contest back in 2010 (which I totally lost :)), and that was pretty much it.

I honestly figured they'd not bother replying or simply say "No" seeing as I am not someone who a bunch of folks hang on their every word, but the Knife Gods smiled upon me. :thumbsup:

Hence I continue in my endeavour to do a review that will prove to be worthwhile to people, hopefully. :cool:

It's been a lot of fun so far, and I've learned some things, including how impressively tough polycarbonate is!
Definitely choosing it over Plexiglass if I ever replace my windows or install something as an impact guard.
Very cool.
A little honesty and humility goes a long way.
I like how ESEE does business.

Very cool.
A little honesty and humility goes a long way.
I like how ESEE does business.
Indeed.

Got a call from the gun store yesterday...they had the box for the ESEE 5 in Venom Green.
You see, they had ordered it in through Blue Ridge Knives, who didn't ship it in the ESEE box.
They had put it in a smaller, regular box for cheaper shipping to Canada (which explains some of the no box knives I got in years gone by...)

Well, the gun store knife guy had noted my surprise at the lack of box, so he made some calls, and ended up contacting ESEE about it...and they sent the box! I know that is a small thing, but still a nice gesture (but where will I put that box now? 🤔)

And now some further knife content!
On March 3rd, after the initial simulated aircraft escape, I decided to see about splitting a chunk of wood far wider than the blade is long.
And hey, is that a dead-blow hammer over there? Time for a pointless interlude. :)

Amazon delivery today...

U2npt05.jpeg

jcssg2T.jpeg

FUtqM06.jpeg

Did I have to cut them into such small pieces, which took a really long, tedious time?
For the purposes of garbage: No.
For the purpose of the ongoing reviewing process: Yes. :cool:

Last edited:
If there’s one thing I’ve learned from all this- I actually don’t know what more tests I could run to legitimately test a knife.

Looks like it did well enough with the cardboard.

If there’s one thing I’ve learned from all this- I actually don’t know what more tests I could run to legitimately test a knife.

Looks like it did well enough with the cardboard.

Yeah, I've just been trying to use it for everything. :)
It did do well enough with cardboard of this thickness and consistency. :thumbsup:

Yeah, I've just been trying to use it for everything. :)
It did do well enough with cardboard of this thickness and consistency. :thumbsup:
Right- in fairness to the ESEE 5, there are plenty of other knives that aren’t the greatest cardboard processors.

Right- in fairness to the ESEE 5, there are plenty of other knives that aren’t the greatest cardboard processors.
It works quite well for the sort of carboard Amazon packages ship in.

It's when you start cutting cardboard that is used for fruit/vegetable crates and ones for shipping heavy items that you want something thinner to cut it with. Even then, cutting that sort of material can be annoying.
That's also when the steels with high abrasion resistance begin to really shine.

Cutting heavy gauge, high density cardboard is not a large part of my life though. ;)

No great new exciting use to record on video.
Still using it around the apartment for food prep, and cut up a heavy plastic blister pack so it would fit into the garbage bag.

But did take it for a hike today, and here it is in a hollow stump:

uAJ3cCq.jpeg

8vgzNwC.jpeg

u1z080Q.jpeg

E9g1vEz.jpeg

And stalking some ducks:

6cqWn4Y.jpeg

k1rnCa8.jpeg

Did I get those ducks?
Well...I'm cooking something right now. ;)
It is either wild ducks, or ground beef from the butcher shop.
You decide which is more likely. :D

Back