ESEE 5 Complete Review

Snowed today. Worked a 12 hour shift, went back home and grabbed the tripod, then made this video 20 minutes after sunset.
Twilight tree chop:

It's a dead tree, so people that worry about such things can relax. :cool:

Took over 100 chops, if I counted correctly.
Folding saw a better choice for such things, but it does work.

Last edited:
No great new exciting use to record on video.
Still using it around the apartment for food prep, and cut up a heavy plastic blister pack so it would fit into the garbage bag.

But did take it for a hike today, and here it is in a hollow stump:

uAJ3cCq.jpeg

8vgzNwC.jpeg

u1z080Q.jpeg

E9g1vEz.jpeg

And stalking some ducks:

6cqWn4Y.jpeg

k1rnCa8.jpeg

Did I get those ducks?
Well...I'm cooking something right now. ;)
It is either wild ducks, or ground beef from the butcher shop.
You decide which is more likely. :D

That stump pic, how'd that blade get there.....You throw itšŸ¤” or stick it in.......I was just thinking that knife could definitely handle some throwin'šŸ˜œ

That stump pic, how'd that blade get there.....You throw itšŸ¤” or stick it in.......I was just thinking that knife could definitely handle some throwin'šŸ˜œ

Stabbed it in.
I am terrible at throwing.

A friend of mine, his parents used to own a cottage in a Provincial Park.
We went into the woods with a throwing knife...we walked out without one. :D
It flew out of my hand and into a parallel dimension.

I have no doubt that the ESEE 5 would survive being thrown quite a bit, although ESEE Knives does not recommend throwing knives not explicitly designed for throwing.
ESEE's no questions asked warranty WILL replace your knife if you manage to break it by throwing...but they may also call you an idiot. ;)

• ESEE KNIVES ARE NOT THROWING KNIVES! They are hardened to a higher Rockwell than throwing knives and will most likely break if thrown, possibly harming the user. So, do yourself and your ESEE knife a favor and DO NOT throw it. Using any knife not meant to be thrown as a throwing knife is idiotic! We would rather idiots not buy our knives.

ESEE's no questions asked warranty WILL replace your knife if you manage to break it by throwing...but they may also call you an idiot.
Best warrantee in the business, and you can tell they suffer for it.
I hope it stays financially sensible for them, especially considering all the guys who said "hold my beer" and went off to break some ESEEs.

Best warrantee in the business, and you can tell they suffer for it.
I hope it stays financially sensible for them, especially considering all the guys who said "hold my beer" and went off to break some ESEEs.

Thankfully, those people remain a minority.
Unless that's your actual job, have to be awfully bored to bother with that.
The rest of us have a life. :)

I'll just throw this picture in here, to make the post less boring. ;)

YCl4yAy.jpg

Last edited:
Sharpened up the ESEE 5 a bit more, using 320 grit silicon carbide paper on a marble block followed by the Spyderco fine bench stone.
Went out today to grab a coffee, and did a quick impromptu tree chop in garbage-land.
Took video, but it is a bit shaky (held in other hand), and you can hear the sound of my runny nose, which adds an element of gross.

So, here is a picture of the aftermath:

TcWDp9K.jpeg

Cut quite easily; very light chops, barely any effort at all.

Here it is stuck in big dead tree on the periphery of garbage-land:

rZOVhWE.jpeg

And, as always, it keeps your coffee safe:

qveefG6.jpeg

Will try to get better, planned video of the improved chopping on small trees of quick shelter building size.

More proof that ESEE 5s don't care if your nose is running.

Have you tried a bowdrill yet?
I always wondered if that's practical or just ruins the scales.

I have not, but I have seen video where other people did.
Did not ruin the scales, at least with the amount of bow drill use they gave it.

Myself, my shoulder issues hate bow drill fire making.
Succeeded with it in the past, but it is a whole lot of work.
I prefer the ways of my ancestors...use matches or a lighter! :D

I copied this from https://travelinglight.com/can-you-bring-a-knife-in-checked-luggage/#:~:text=TSA ā€“ All knives must be packed in,whether an item is allowed through the checkpoint. Seriously though, it doesn't sound like a knife I would have that much use for. Very overbuilt for those who may need that and so it does serve a purpose. Sort of like the old 5" Air Force survival knife. Which would be better for that purpose?

TSA ā€“ All knives must be packed in checked luggage! You cannot take knives in carry on luggage. Any sharp objects in checked bags should be sheathed or securely wrapped to prevent injury to baggage handlers and inspectors. The final decision rests with the TSA officer on whether an item is allowed through the checkpoint.

To be honest, I donā€™t advise taking a flat rounded metal butter knife even if the TSA say that you can.

Itā€™s just asking for trouble and delays when you go through security. Iā€™m quite sure the agents will want to investigate that knife to check that it is not sharp or dangerous. Packing a butter knife in hand luggage will probably mean it takes more time to get through airport security.

And then youā€™ll have to stand there and explain how how you really prefer spreading butter with a good flat rounded metal butter knife. I think itā€™s better to just leave it at home or take a plastic butter knife if you must.
I was going to take some trauma shears for that.

But I wussed out and checked them.

Today I decided to answer the eternal question: Can an ESEE 5 cut a Kevlar sleeve?
Watch and find out. :)

Those cut resistant gloves with the rubber palms (geko palms) are absolute murder to get through. Kevlar like in bike armour. Not so tough.

(Yes I know. Designed for different things)

Those cut resistant gloves with the rubber palms (geko palms) are absolute murder to get through. Kevlar like in bike armour. Not so tough.

(Yes I know. Designed for different things)

I had some nitrile-dipped cut-resistant gloves that were level 5 cut resistance, but the glass fiber in the weave makes tiny cuts in my skin which leads to getting infected. My skin can be very stupid at times. :D

Also had cut-resistant sleeves that were level 5, but my skin hated them as well.

So it's straight Kevlar or Spectra for me, it seems.

Wow Stabman - that was quite a review! Sorry bro - your knife looked 10-years-old afterward! šŸ˜… Thanks for all your hard work and for sacrificing your brand new knife to show us what the ESEE 5 is capable of - Itā€™s a tank of a knife! I also bought an ESEE 5 about 1 year ago and love it.

Iā€™m planning to get a smaller ESEE 4 for lighter duty work, but I read several reviews that people thought the handle on the ESEE 4 is too small (like a 3.5 finger grip), SO people recommend to get a slightly modified version called the ESEE-4HM, which Iā€™ll get instead of the standard version. The 4HM handle is modified to be a bit longer and rounder. They made more room by eliminating the front finger choil (the 4HM allows you to get your hand plenty close to the blade anyway, so the choil is unnecessary), and they cover most of the lanyard hole at the back. You canā€™t pound with the back very much, but you get a more comfortable and functional grip on the knife (or so Iā€™ve read). I just mention all this because some people might not be aware of this alternative handle option.

Anyway, thanks for the EXCELLENT REVIEW Stabman! šŸ˜ŽšŸ‘

It's a stupidly thick, fairly soft but kinda tough bit of 1095 that is vaguely knife shaped. But has similar geometry to an axe with almost none of the chopping ability. They're pretty ridiculous. Guys buy them and fantasize about how they could cut their way out of a crashed air plane and do a bunch of other miscellaneous awesome tactical stuff while sitting on the couch playing with it šŸ˜‚
There are so many better options if you want to buy a knife
I Disagree - NOT a ā€œpretty ridiculousā€ knife at all. Itā€™s a hard-use fixed blade thatā€™s ready to take on some heavy work, and you can push this knife quite hard without worrying about it. Different knives for different purposes. If you want to slice an apple, grab a full-flat ground Spyderco. If you want to survive in the wilderness, grab an ESEE 5!

Wow Stabman - that was quite a review! Sorry bro - your knife looked 10-years-old afterward! šŸ˜… Thanks for all your hard work and for sacrificing your brand new knife to show us what the ESEE 5 is capable of - Itā€™s a tank of a knife! I also bought an ESEE 5 about 1 year ago and love it.

Iā€™m planning to get a smaller ESEE 4 for lighter duty work, but I read several reviews that people thought the handle on the ESEE 4 is too small (like a 3.5 finger grip), SO people recommend to get a slightly modified version called the ESEE-4HM, which Iā€™ll get instead of the standard version. The 4HM handle is modified to be a bit longer and rounder. They made more room by eliminating the front finger choil (the 4HM allows you to get your hand plenty close to the blade anyway, so the choil is unnecessary), and they cover most of the lanyard hole at the back. You canā€™t pound with the back very much, but you get a more comfortable and functional grip on the knife (or so Iā€™ve read). I just mention all this because some people might not be aware of this alternative handle option.

Anyway, thanks for the EXCELLENT REVIEW Stabman! šŸ˜ŽšŸ‘

Thanks!
The ESEE 5 did get an aged look quite quickly from all the abuse in so short a time period...at least I got past the pain of the first scratch right away!

The HM handle on the ESEE HM6 was quite comfortable when I checked one out at the local gun store.

I Disagree - NOT a ā€œpretty ridiculousā€ knife at all. Itā€™s a hard-use fixed blade thatā€™s ready to take on some heavy work, and you can push this knife quite hard without worrying about it. Different knives for different purposes. If you want to slice an apple, grab a full-flat ground Spyderco. If you want to survive in the wilderness, grab an ESEE 5!

I'm not trying to start any nonsense, but just wanted to respond to your post.

Many times, I think folks who throw shade at some of the thick knives have never actually used one. It seems to me that many of them are simply parroting what they've seen posted by other folks who've also never actually used one. Even after some time with a certain knife, I'm still a bit apprehensive to give my opinion because I know that everyone is different and all of us will arrive at different outcomes/opinions. If I've had some time with a particular knife, I'll gladly give my opinion, but will do so knowing that ten other folks will have ten other outcomes.

I have spent some time with my ESEE-5s and have thoroughly enjoyed them. One of the times that comes to comes to mind was when I used one of them to split/reduce a few logs for a portable "camp stove", wiped it on my pant leg, and went straight to cutting up some skirt steak (*fajita) for some tacos. My Buddy then proceeded to use it to make some guacamole and a bit "chunky" pico de gallo. That fat little "5" never even winced. It simply did what it was told.

Now, did it perform like a Zwilling or Shun paring knife? Abso-friggin'-lutely not. However, it did get us through dinner and onto more important tasks, like consuming a few cold adult beverages.

...The HM handle on the ESEE HM6 was quite comfortable when I checked one out at the local gun store.

How did the HM handle feel, compared to the 3D handles on your other ESEE-5?

I'm not trying to start any nonsense, but just wanted to respond to your post.

Many times, I think folks who throw shade at some of the thick knives have never actually used one. It seems to me that many of them are simply parroting what they've seen posted by other folks who've also never actually used one. Even after some time with a certain knife, I'm still a bit apprehensive to give my opinion because I know that everyone is different and all of us will arrive at different outcomes/opinions. If I've had some time with a particular knife, I'll gladly give my opinion, but will do so knowing that ten other folks will have ten other outcomes.

I have spent some time with my ESEE-5s and have thoroughly enjoyed them. One of the times that comes to comes to mind was when I used one of them to split/reduce a few logs for a portable "camp stove", wiped it on my pant leg, and went straight to cutting up some skirt steak (*fajita) for some tacos. My Buddy then proceeded to use it to make some guacamole and a bit "chunky" pico de gallo. That fat little "5" never even winced. It simply did what it was told.

Now, did it perform like a Zwilling or Shun paring knife? Abso-friggin'-lutely not. However, it did get us through dinner and onto more important tasks, like consuming a few cold adult beverages.

Exactly.

Now I do like some of my thin knives as well, and for certain tasks I would grab one of those over a thicker one. If I wanted thin, elegant onion slices or was trying to make sushi-style cuts of meat, then thin is in.
But in general, being a bit thicker does not make the knife suddenly suck at being a knife.

How did the HM handle feel, compared to the 3D handles on your other ESEE-5?

It was a different sort of handle.
It almost reminded me of the feel of the Grohmann #4 Survival Knife, only a different material.
Felt good in the hand, but you'd kind of have to try one in person to get a proper feel for it.
I think most people would find it to be comfortable though. :)

Back