Fake Charge TTi?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&_rdc=1&item=160528929342&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.com%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp4712.m570.l1313%26_nkw%3D160528929342%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&si=lS2SdgHIvP31mN97icFXmgx%252B33Y%253D&viewitem=

I purchased one from that buy it now page and I'm a little concerned it might be a fake due to it's price. Although I haven't seen any reports of fake Charge TTi's I'm still a little skeptical despite contacting the seller who told me it is a genuine, new, non factory second charge TTi. And that the only reason it's as cheap as it is, is because it's out of it's original packaging, doesn't come with a sheath or the partial bit kit.

I'm planning on buying the complete bit kit and the sheath for the Leatherman MUT so neither of those items matter much to me.

He has sold quite a few other ones but then again, who knows if those are just ghost accounts.

Anyways, does anyone have any tips for identifying a genuine Leatherman? I'll be sure to make a video of it when I receive it and post it here.

-Thanks,
OrenG

Last edited:
I would not worry about it to much it seems like it is a genuine seller, and the difference in pricing is certainly negligible enough. For the price, it would be much harder to make a fake and then sell it for that price, not really worth it. Then again, what do I know?

Looks legit to me. I have seen fakes of a lot of LM tools online but most of them are faily easy to tell.

Looks legit to me. I have seen fakes of a lot of LM tools online but most of them are faily easy to tell.

Well, the thing is he's used a stock image, and not actually taken a picture of the one I will be receiving. It should be here in a few days so I'll be sure to post pictures as soon as it arrives to see what you guys have to say about it.

I just don't know why but I find a Charge TTi for 74.95 too good to be true. Although since it doesn't come with a sheath or the extra bits, it's a bit more believable but...I still have a small amount of doubt.

I did get a tracking number and it is already on it's way so all I know now is he's sent me a box.

However 20+ people have bought them which all seem to be real accounts and had good things to say about him. Someone even didn't receive theirs and got a full refund so..I'm a bit less skeptical than I was.

Proof is in the pudding however so I'll just have to wait and see.

I would not worry about it to much it seems like it is a genuine seller, and the difference in pricing is certainly negligible enough. For the price, it would be much harder to make a fake and then sell it for that price, not really worth it. Then again, what do I know?

I dunno, probably a bit more than I do though given that I only own a Kick atm.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&_rdc=1&item=160528929342&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.com%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp4712.m570.l1313%26_nkw%3D160528929342%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&si=lS2SdgHIvP31mN97icFXmgx%252B33Y%253D&viewitem=

I purchased one from that buy it now page and I'm a little concerned it might be a fake due to it's price. Although I haven't seen any reports of fake Charge TTi's I'm still a little skeptical despite contacting the seller who told me it is a genuine, new, non factory second charge TTi. And that the only reason it's as cheap as it is, is because it's out of it's original packaging, doesn't come with a sheath or the partial bit kit.

I'm planning on buying the complete bit kit and the sheath for the Leatherman MUT so neither of those items matter much to me.

He has sold quite a few other ones but then again, who knows if those are just ghost accounts.

Anyways, does anyone have any tips for identifying a genuine Leatherman? I'll be sure to make a video of it when I receive it and post it here.

-Thanks,
OrenG

i should put that charge to the test only way to know that its fake

I received an email from leatherman and am not really assured in identifying a fake.

However I did find another post on this forum that describes some more accurate ways to identify fakes.

Check for manufacture date code:

lm-manufacture-date.jpg

five/Six point security screw

lm-security.jpg

lm-security-5point.jpg

Also stamped above the pliers:

Lm_cw_pliers_oldnew_comp-sm.jpg

And on the handle:

Leatherman-Charge-TTi-main.jpg

Now knowing this information I'll be sure to check for all these identifying items.

Seems as if these could be copied quite easily but then again leatherman's aren't all that expensive and copies are usually much more expensive than the real thing (for whatever reason).

Perhaps you are getting a factory seconds version considering the seller has already sold 5 of them and considering the price...

Perhaps you are getting a factory seconds version considering the seller has already sold 5 of them and considering the price...

Nope, I contacted the seller and he said it was "new, unopened, not used, non-factory second genuine leatherman charge TTi"

Apparently the reason they couldn't be sold for more than he's sold them for is because the primary cardboard box was opened but not the Charge TTi's blister pack thing itself.

It also doesn't come with a sheath or the extra bit kit.

If it isn't anyone of those things, I'll report him for selling me an item that didn't match the description/his word I'll post some nice macro shots of the tool once it gets here which should be in a couple days.

Last edited:
I shop in a brick & mortar that has bran new, old stock TTi's for $70 cash out the door. That price isn't unheard of for them, although most places want way too much for 'em!

I shop in a brick & mortar that has bran new, old stock TTi's for $70 cash out the door. That price isn't unheard of for them, although most places want way too much for 'em!

Wow! Wait, new old stock? Does that mean they're rolling out a new design? Or discontinuing the Charge TTi?

EDIT: I should be receiving it today as USPS has it listed as out for delivery. Will post pics ASAP.

Last edited:
Just got it in the mail not more than 20 minutes ago.

As far as I can tell, it's genuine. Might actually be a factory second but none of the tools are worn, misshapen nor is their anything really worry some except some cosmetic blemishes and nothing too noticeable either. Still a bit stiff but I think this is a good sign it hasn't been used as the Kick I've had for quite some time needed a bit of oiling and break in, then it was fine.

Will post pics in the near future.

Wow! Wait, new old stock? Does that mean they're rolling out a new design? Or discontinuing the Charge TTi?

EDIT: I should be receiving it today as USPS has it listed as out for delivery. Will post pics ASAP.

Sorry, no, that means it's new in box, just has sat in the store for quite a long time. In fact, they are the newer version with the seatbelt cutter in the back of the serrated blade, They've just been there for several years.

Ever since I got the thing I've been fiddling with it, oiling various components that need it and I came upon this.

1000077hr.jpg

1000078.jpg

I've run into this strange black substance before when I first got my Kick. The lubricant I'm using on it is clean 3-in-1 that goes in almost clear and comes out the center black like used motor oil.

Is there a dry lubricant between the pliers that I'm removing? Or is this just left over debris from manufacturing?

Last edited:
The black stuff coming out is kind of weird, though probably nothing major. Maybe just flush it out as best you can with the 3-in-1 and wipe it clean.

The black stuff coming out is kind of weird, though probably nothing major. Maybe just flush it out as best you can with the 3-in-1 and wipe it clean.

That did the trick. I just find it a bit odd that I've run into this problem twice. :foot:

That did the trick. I just find it a bit odd that I've run into this problem twice. :foot:

That is kind of weird, though I'm pretty sure I've had the same thing happen. Metal dust from manufacturing maybe, gets tarnished or maybe?

And on the handle:

Leatherman-Charge-TTi-main.jpg

Now knowing this information I'll be sure to check for all these identifying items.

Seems as if these could be copied quite easily but then again leatherman's aren't all that expensive and copies are usually much more expensive than the real thing (for whatever reason).

My charge tti has the circled R after "Charge" instead of TM (so 2 circled Rs ). Could this indicate a fake? I did have a hard time getting the thing from the seller on amazon.ca, called Canadian Shoppe.

ChargeTTI.jpg

Last edited:
I've run into this strange black substance before when I first got my Kick. The lubricant I'm using on it is clean 3-in-1 that goes in almost clear and comes out the center black like used motor oil.

Is there a dry lubricant between the pliers that I'm removing? Or is this just left over debris from manufacturing?

That's normal, it's just leathermans oil, it'll keep coming out for awhile and then it'll go away. All of my LM multitools did that and it's all gone away now.

Back