Fake Charge TTi?

My charge tti has the circled R after "Charge" instead of TM (so 2 circled Rs ). Could this indicate a fake? I did have a hard time getting the thing from the seller on amazon.ca, called Canadian Shoppe.

That's how mine is as well. It would seem that those photos are of the pre-production or early production models.

This is quite strange, does anyone know how to use the built in lanyard ring on the Charge TTi? I find the clip on one protrudes too much, but I can't figure out how to slide the fixed ring out.

...This is quite strange, does anyone know how to use the built in lanyard ring on the Charge TTi? I find the clip on one protrudes too much, but I can't figure out how to slide the fixed ring out.

Here's the pull tab:
lanyard_1.jpg

If you can't reach it with your finger nails, the tip of a pen works to dig it out.

This is what the lanyard ring looks like:
lanyard_2.jpg

I don't advise attaching a lanyard here: ;)
lanyard_no.jpg

Here's the pull tab:

If you can't reach it with your finger nails, the tip of a pen works to dig it out.

Ah, easier than it looks, thanks a bunch.

Last edited:
That's normal, it's just leathermans oil, it'll keep coming out for awhile and then it'll go away. All of my LM multitools did that and it's all gone away now.

Is it cosmoline? Because I've never seen such a dark colored oil used on knives or other tools.

Here's the pull tab:
lanyard_1.jpg

lanyard_2.jpg

lanyard_no.jpg

Did you build that Cabela's version with 154cm & shiny parts?!

That's how mine is as well. It would seem that those photos are of the pre-production or early production models.

I actually emailed Leatherman about the 2 R's, the response I got wasn't quite clear, gist of their reply:

Thank you for contacting us regarding the possibly that you have a fake.

No worries. Both can be found on the tool.

The TM is what is put on the tool when the tool is created and eventually the circled R is put on the tool when the tool has been gone through its whole process.

So no mention of earlier or later models, but seems to indicate both marks should in fact be on there? I replied back for clarification, will update here once received.

Did you build that Cabela's version with 154cm & shiny parts?!

It's a camouflage XTi from Bass Pro Shops - they had a bead blast finish instead of the black oxide finish.

Supratentorial, that was one excellent, helpful and to the point post. :thumbup:

Thank you!

I actually emailed Leatherman about the 2 R's, the response I got wasn't quite clear, gist of their reply:

Thank you for contacting us regarding the possibly that you have a fake.

No worries. Both can be found on the tool.

The TM is what is put on the tool when the tool is created and eventually the circled R is put on the tool when the tool has been gone through its whole process.

So no mention of earlier or later models, but seems to indicate both marks should in fact be on there? I replied back for clarification, will update here once received.

They'll either use ™ or ®, not both... except when more than one term is trademarked. ™ is common law. ® stands for registered trademark. It takes time (and money) to register a trademark. Theoretically, one marked ™ would be earlier production than one marked ®.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9119348&postcount=8
The images of the Ti and XTi from Equipped.org were before the product was released and it appears that the trademark registration of "Charge" was not completed. "Leatherman" was already registered but "Charge" hadn't been yet.

All TTis should be marked ® since "Leatherman" and "Charge" were both registered trademarks before they were produced.

Last edited:
Back