Feeler for a CA gathering

The guys on the east coast are having get toghers. So what would it take for us on the west coast to do the same :grumpy: ??? Guys lets see if we can find a location that would be easier for most of us meet. We can do a backpacking trip or hike into a camp site away from the meek folks. Lets do it in early spring while everything is still green. One idea is to take the tram to the top of mount San jacinto. Then hike all the way down. Going down hill should make it easier. Its just one idea i came up with real quick.

http://bp2.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip.aspx?tripId=54078

Sasha

Yes people

Ray
Sasha
Mike+family
John

Maybe people

Russell

Last edited:
maybe we should do a west coast roll call first... your name and where you live... that way we know the best place to hold the get together..
san jose ca. bay area

The 805!!!!
Goleta Love!!
SB!!!
Central Coast!!!
93 1 1 to the 7!!!

I'm kinda outta shape :(
Too much Battlefield 2!!
If you guys have a drive in camping spot
I'm down
If it's a short, non strenuous hike, I am down too

I will bring some home made jerkey:cool:

I can drive down to La La land or even up to The Cruz

I got a new programming/Cold Fusion job that I work from my house
My hours are super flexible :thumbup:
April or May would be GREEN, for sure
We only have a limited time window for GREENERY down here in So Cal..hehhehee
The rest of the time it is brown and dry...

I think a tomahawk contest would be cool
I got a bunch of different ones I could bring

I know of some nice spots near Ojai and Santa Barbara

It will be cool to meet some of you and shoot the sh1t around the campfire:D

If it is a "gun friendly" get together
I can bring up some of my toys:cool:
(I'm a totally SAFE shooter..have been my whole life)
I can even bring up my Barett crossbow for Mt. Mike..LOL
I challenge you to a BOLT OFF:D

I can cook a MEAN Santa Maria Style tri tip too
The KEY is the RED oak......

I'm in Los Smogeles. I'm not very fast but I can backpack. Car camping and hiking would also be OK but I'd prefer not to be in a highly organized state park campground. I know a nice primitive BLM campground up in the Domelands area (south of Kennedy Meadows---Southern Sierra). You can hike down to the Kern in about 3.5 miles and fish for Goldens. There's also a nice spot to backpack camp on the river. There are Native American morteros in the area as well as some old mining ruins. Unfortunately, it's out of the way for anyone from the Bay Area.

Great idea Sasha! I'm definately up for it. The east coast guys are always getting together and we should do the same. Early spring sounds good too. Eastern Sierra probably has the nicest places but kind of far for the coastal guys. I think Sequoia might be the most centered. SoCal has some nice places too. Let's definately do this guys!

there seems to be quite a # of folks in socal, as well as the bay area...

we could always meet somewhere in between.. maybe outside of Santa Barbara or San Luis Obispo, possibly Big Sur area.. it might be the same amount of driving give or take for everyone...:thumbup:

we do have some nice spots around here to camp.. no guns though..:(

Mike,

I like your Central Coast suggestion for convenience. The area around Montana de Oro State Park (general Morro Bay/San Luis Obispo region) would be great. It would be nice to find something less developed than Montana de Oro but if that's the best we could do, at least it would be likely to draw a decent turnout.

DancesWithKnives

Ray,

I could also get behind the Sequoia area as a North/South compromise. I like Mineral King a LOT better than the camps behind the Sequioa Park gates. However, MK is pretty high and I don't know how early in the year it opens for camping.

DancesWithKnives

Mike,

I like your Central Coast suggestion for convenience. The area around Montana de Oro State Park (general Morro Bay/San Luis Obispo region) would be great. It would be nice to find something less developed than Montana de Oro but if that's the best we could do, at least it would be likely to draw a decent turnout.

DancesWithKnives

DWK-- Montana De Orro is a great spot.. that is kind of the area i had in mind..
we have camped there a few times.. there is lots of trails and spots to explore...:thumbup:

I believe I camped there in the '80s and they had some walk-in camps that were a few hundred yards off the road. A tiny bit more primitive than the usual state park. I'd still rather be in a very primitive BLM camp but Montana de Oro is pretty and one of the largest factors in setting up a get together like this is to find a location people will actually want to travel to.

DancesWithKnives

I'm down for going to SLO. I might have a ton of time on my hands if I lose my job this week...

Back