Feeler for a CA gathering

As long as I've been hunting, the regular license is all that you've needed. With a shotgun, I usually shoot rabbits at 20-50 yards but sometimes they don't jump until you are right on top of them, so you have a closer shot. In that situation, you especially want to try for the head so you don't ruin a lot of meat.

At over 50 yds, you're usually going to want a rifle. A .22 will get you 75 yds, perhaps 100. Over a 100 yds you'll generally want something hotter than a .22 long rifle. Many hunters use a .22 rifle at all reasonable ranges (my late father didn't like using a shotgun for rabbit hunting). Some talented pistoleros use a .22 pistol. [.17 cal. rimfires are also very popular for bunnies.]

I wasn't planning to take any rabbits home so I intended to shoot only what my old friend wanted. I was surprised he didn't ask for more than the one. However, I wanted to get out of town, see the Spring wildflowers, and do a little desert hiking and peak climbing. So I would have been happy to make the trip even if I had not hunted at all. Furthermore, when a friend who is 84 has a chance to make a camping trip you should probably take him while he is still in good enough condition to go.

DancesWithKnives

I hear you there about an 84 year old friend.. Thanks for answering my hunting Qs. Those are the answers i needed. Thanks again.

Not going to be able to make it. A friend is getting ready (purification and vision ceremonies) for Sundance ceremony and asked if I would help him and a few others during this preparation time. Can't say no, so maybe next year I can get to the Calif. Bush Bash. Have fun all.

I'd like to talk to you about holding a Fall BushBash II on the property you generously mentioned in one of your posts. Perhaps around hunting season? I also posted a visitor message on your Bladeforums account.

If you are still interested, please either put a message on my BF account or post here.

Thanks again,

DancesWithKnives

Hey Longbow, Sorry to hear you are not going to make it. Been looking forward to meeting you face to face.

Not going to be able to make it. A friend is getting ready (purification and vision ceremonies) for Sundance ceremony and asked if I would help him and a few others during this preparation time. Can't say no, so maybe next year I can get to the Calif. Bush Bash. Have fun all.

Will he be going through the piercing as well?

It seems that there are three competing threads, so I hope everyone sees this.

First - there are plenty of bear problems at the campgrounds in Sequoia above our location. Those campgrounds are 2000' higher and have a lot of people all the time, and bears are drawn by the smell. This is a spot that sees very little, if any, camping, so bears are not habituated to this location for food. I have camped a number of times at Camp Wortman just down the road a few miles, and never had any problem with a lot of food laying around. Of course, a bear may decide to break that streak.

Second - I have learned that google maps is giving directions to those coming from the north to exit at Kingsburg and take 201 across to meet 216 in Woodlake. This route works, and is actually shorter than taking the route that I have given, but it is full of stops and turns (some of which have poor signage) and it is actually much better to take the route that I described. Likewise, google maps may give a route from the south to take an exit well south of Visalia and come up through Lindsay/Porterville/Exeter, etc. That would be a long drive.

Third - Mtnfolk Mike has requested a .22, so I will bring mine. I have plenty of ammo for it. If my son comes, I will bring a shotgun and some clay pigeons. I will have my .45 on me (I carry it all the time), but I can only bring one box of ammo. I can't find any for sale around here. So if you want to blast away with a .45, see if you can find any 45 Auto where you live. I carry a Glock 30, but if anyone would prefer a full size 1911, I will bring that to shoot instead.

Back