• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Fire steels AKA flint strikers

Prices for these may vary depending on the material, but for the most part they start at $30 for the
1/4" thick steels and $35 for the 3/8" steels. I work with micarta, g-10, stag, wood.

I can also give a piece what I call a "glow mod" which can be either a glow in the dark dot placed on the base of the handle, or glow in the dark scales. I use commercial grade glow powder which is 30 times brighter than most of the powders they sell in stores. It remains visible to the human eye for more than 24 hours after its initially charged. This is an additional $5.

I can also include a custom lanyard, which I also make myself. I also include a split ring and a clip with each lanyard. They are also $5 extra.

For a lanyard attachment at the top of the handle with a brass casing in your choice of caliber its $5, but since the lanyard has to be attached to the cap before its installed the lanyard has to be purchased as well, so this is $10 for the lanyard and brass casing cap.

Here are some pictures:

Here is are some youtube links with more information:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLYfFrBr0E4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeqmAkB5P9A

Last edited:
Just a heads up, you h*ave to have a paid knifemaker or greater membership to sell on BladeForums. Cool products though! I really like the Ti fire piston!

Thanks for the heads up. I've already bought a subscription. I don't think it would let you post here if you didn't have one.

here is one last picture of some of the stuff I have on hand right now, although some of the pieces may have been sold already. the first picture shows which pieces are available and the second picture is in a larger size so you can see the pieces a little better.

Last edited:
A customer wanted some pieces to attach to his kelty kettle, but wanted to be able to remove it and carry it to use off the kettle. He wanted it in g-10 with lots of glow. Here is what I made.

Wow, that is absolutely remarkable and handy, too! Do you have any more like it for sale and how much for it?

Thank you!

I forgot to mention this request if for a 3/8" size, g-10 with extra glow.

A customer wanted some pieces to attach to his kelty kettle, but wanted to be able to remove it and carry it to use off the kettle. He wanted it in g-10 with lots of glow. Here is what I made.

Last edited:
Wow, that is absolutely remarkable and handy, too! Do you have any more like it for sale and how much for it?

Thank you!

I forgot to mention this request if for a 3/8" size, g-10 with extra glow.

I do not have any on hand, but I could make you one as soon as I come back from vacation (I get back tuesday of next week). The price of that one was a total of $50. ($35 base price for the piece,$10 for lanyard and striker, and $5 for the glow modification). I ship these USPS priority flat rate with delivery confirmation.

I have off all next week so I could probably get it done by friday of next week if your interested.

Very. Just tell me how and when to pay you. And thank you. I really appreciate this! Maybe I won't lose mine in the dark this time, lol.

here are some more pictures. This piece shows how I attach a piece of jute cord to the lanyard for use in starting a fire, very handy.

Got my firesteel today! WOOT! This thing is beautiful!!! Folks, when I say they are worth every penny, I mean just that! Esteban's work to top notch, quality is excellent. I like the fact that I won't be dropping this in the dark / near dark and losing it!!!

Back