First Victorinox! What was yours?

My first Victorinox was given to me by my father when I was 12. Sadly, it was stolen by someone at camp a few weeks later. I didn't know what the model was at the time but I now suspect it was a Huntsman. I wonder where it is now...

My first was this alox Pioneer. I've had it for about 35 years, but I don't carry it anymore. A few years back I gave it some TLC and sharpened, deburred, cleaned and lubed it and the action is as good as new. Too sentimental to risk losing, so I have other alox SAK's to EDC including a stunt double.

IMG_4239-1.jpg

2_old_Pioneer_3_crp.jpg

Great to see those old Pioneers! I can understand your feelings about your first one. Although my parents gave me a SAK as a first knife, many years later an alox Soldier was the first SAK that I bought myself. Carried it for years as my only knife, until I got addicted to knives. I don't carry it anymore. It's amazing how those knives can still be in great shape after years of carry and use.

Ahh... great topic!

First, it's in my left front pocket as I type this. It's a Vic "Camper." Great story behind it too. My step-father bought it for me in the early 90s on deployment to what was then West Germany. He actually purchased it in Amsterdam and the packaging was in German. The 'camping' writing has worn off. However, the Vic shield is still strong and shiny! I've since made some modifications to suit my needs. Given it's 20+ year history, I plan on passing it down to my first born child someday.

Isn't it great how tools and cutlery can bring back warm memories with family and friends?! :)

My first was a small Tinker model that had the square shank screwdriver/file combo, I found it my dads old tackle box where it had been used to trim line and gut fish for years. I still have it and its in just as rough shape as it was when I found it, blade all scratched up, handle scales loose and falling off, and little to no snap in the tools, but I will keep it as is for memories sake.

Soldier. It's in my pocket now. I saw the local Gander Mountain has the Wenger SI for $29, I might have to pick one up as a backup to my Vic.

My first was a small Tinker model that had the square shank screwdriver/file combo, I found it my dads old tackle box where it had been used to trim line and gut fish for years. I still have it and its in just as rough shape as it was when I found it, blade all scratched up, handle scales loose and falling off, and little to no snap in the tools, but I will keep it as is for memories sake.

You might be able to wash it up in warm water with a little dish soap, let it dry and give it some lube. I've had some success improving the action of SAK's doing this. There are replacement scales available also. I know it changes the mojo. :)

Last edited:
My first was a Climber. I´ve got it from my dad when i was 7 or 8. Now i´m 36 and it does still the work well. It was my first pocket knife ever and i´m a little bit sentimental about it, so i don´t carry it very often afraid of loosing it.

You might be able to wash it up in warm water with a little dish soap, let it dry and give it some lube. I've had some success improving the action of SAK's doing this. There are replacement scales available also. I know it changes the mojo. :)
I have cleaned it properly many times and the snap is still all but gone, its the only Vic I have ever seen with so little snap, it was abused heavily by my father or maybe the guy he got it from so I think it is just worn out. I don't carry it so it doesn't bother me in the least.

Alox Cadet, i bought about a month ago...I love this little knife!

Back