Fixed Blade Knife Laws in New York

That one is a hard call. It is not an absolute "weapon by design", but I think most officers would not consider it a simple tool. Carry while fishing or the very limited hunting in Suffolk should be fine, but walking into Walmart or the mall with it on your belt, will most likely draw attention. I must admit that in Nassau and even more so in Suffolk, I don't see the LEOs looking to give most people an issue about knives like the City is doing. I was buying my son a bagel the other day and there was a guy who clearly had a Microtech OTF clipped to his pocket, and a Nassau officer waiting in line next to him. No one look was made or a word said about the knife. In NYC that would be a entire different story....What a difference a few miles of road can make.

I called SC police they said it falls within legal limits , but I may/could be stopped to justify my intent. I am just a knife enthusiast and just like the security of the tool on my person. What is the worst that can happen if I show ID and they see I have no record? I am also an Auxiliary officer .

If your an APO then that should go a long way to keep you on the good side of the law. Just make a quick note of the name of the officer and time you called and keep it. Always better to be safe than sorry.....

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but has any more info become available on the New York state law's policies on fixed blades? I don't live within the city, and often carry a larger sheathed fixed blade when hunting & fishing (which is legal), but curious on the legality of carrying it around if I'm not in those situations. I have other carry options that I go with, but it would be nice to know legal specifics.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but has any more info become available on the New York state law's policies on fixed blades? I don't live within the city, and often carry a larger sheathed fixed blade when hunting & fishing (which is legal), but curious on the legality of carrying it around if I'm not in those situations. I have other carry options that I go with, but it would be nice to know legal specifics.

In NY any fixed blade knife can be considered a "dangerous knife" which makes it 100% illegal. I don't hunt or fish, don't have a license to do so, and would never carry any fixed blade knife in NY especially not in New York City.

I am with you, and only carry large fixed blades when hunting and with a valid license on me of course. I hunt in the back country of the Adirondacks and will often have a very large fixed blade on me, such as a bowie. These knives come in handy for building small shelters or butchering game. But I would never carry it on me into town. When I go into town, I act as if I am home in NYC and carry a small, non locking, under 4" folder. I don't need the hassle.

I am with you, and only carry large fixed blades when hunting and with a valid license on me of course. I hunt in the back country of the Adirondacks and will often have a very large fixed blade on me, such as a bowie. These knives come in handy for building small shelters or butchering game. But I would never carry it on me into town. When I go into town, I act as if I am home in NYC and carry a small, non locking, under 4" folder. I don't need the hassle.

that pretty much describes exactly what i do as well!

that pretty much describes exactly what i do as well!

What folders do you guys carry? I have a small Opinel.. which locks and you can't open it. I thought NYPD (bastards as they are) would argue that non-locking folders can be opened by gravity by them flicking it in court... What I was thinking of getting is a 2" blade (5" total) fixed blade ESEE Candiru. Anyone have thoughts on that?

Im not gonna weigh in what is legal to carry or not but the laws have made the news lately.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Knife-Arrest-New-York-City-Pocket-Knives-Gravity-Arrest-NYPD-Baltimore-308224421.html

http://www.villagevoice.com/news/new-york-republicans-kill-knife-law-reform-for-the-second-year-in-a-row-7274141

God I love NY. Guns good, Knives bad. Looks like someone needs to start a knife makers lobby.:roll eyes:

In their defense there was a Transit Cop stabbed yesterday so maybe the timing wasn't quite right.

Last edited:
http://www.villagevoice.com/news/new-york-republicans-kill-knife-law-reform-for-the-second-year-in-a-row-7274141

God I love NY. Guns good, Knives bad. Looks like someone needs to start a knife makers lobby.:roll eyes:

Reports of the demise of the Gravity knife bill are premature: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...ALERT-Stop-the-NYC-Arrests-CALL-amp-EMAIL-NOW!

In their defense there was a Transit Cop stabbed yesterday so maybe the timing wasn't quite right.

FWIW, that was by a fixed blade knife, not one of their so-called "gravity knives."

CHz1AypWoAEjZ1N.jpg

Yeah I was aware that the weapon was a fixed blade but Joe voter doesn't care if it was a lock back, switch blade, gravity knife, or fixed blade all they know is a cop got stabbed and you stab people with knives so all knives are bad and dangerous and people shouldn't carry them. Therefore all politicians that vote in favor of knife rights are bad...

Technically as long as it hasn't been modified to stab better, doesn't have a sharpened back edge etc you should be fine. Is not common, but there is no law against it and I have seen folk carrying larger FB in public, usual with traditional beaded sheath or some such. Is not against the law to carry FB concealed either, and even in NYC as long as under 4" should be legal.

Outside NYC there is no size limit, so presumably you could be arrested (you can be arrested for anything anyway), but if your conduct or admission didn't render the knife a "weapon", a judge would have a hard time convicting you. I would imagine as the knife gets larger, the "reasonable man" and therefore the presiding judge would be more inclined to view it as a weapon, but any FB in the size range of a medium-large folder should get a pass, with larger ones depending on the circumstances...

I carry FB about 80% of the time though mostly is smaller 4" blade and usually concealed.

I'm a 16-year-old in Cortland County and I have I 4.5-inch hunting knife in a leather sheath. I carry it in the woods with me. I want to know if anyone can tell me if its legal to carry in towns and off of my land.

Back