Folder Actions

I'd like to see an explanation, all in one place, about the different actions for folding knives, including objective advantages and disadvantages of the different actions. Perhaps in another thread I'll ask for subjective advantages and disadvantages, but it looks to me like one of the reasons for the existence of different actions is that everyone has a different opinion about the subjective advantages of different systems. So objective for now, please.

A list of all the different actions would be a valuable thing to me.

What action? Lock action? Opening mechanism actions? Pivot actions? Please specify.

Locks and lock actions are different things. Are you interested in the working mechanisms of different locks, or lock actions in terms of speed, smoothness, strength, force needed to engage and disengage, error rate, ease of learning, etc etc?

For starters, a simple list of all the different types there are. If locks are different from lock actions, then both.

In a nutshell, it's personal preference and right tool/lock for the job. People will focus/obsess/enjoy whatever they take a liking to the most. Frame locks for ease of use, tri-ad locks and other lock backs for more strength/security, ball bearing and axis locks for a good mix of ease of use and strength. The actions are more dependent on the pivot/washer design. You can't find what you like best by people listing or telling you about them, you need to get them in hand and learn about them with use.

Okay, that helps me formulate my first two questions. Let's take advantages and disadvantages out of it, if what you say is true, and there are none.

How many different types of locks and how many different types of lock actions exist?

Basic groups are:

Liner/Frame Locks - Compression locks sort of fall into this catagory but as the lock bar is also pinched between the stop pin and the blade tang it is abit different. Benchmade Naklock is actually a linerlock.

Backlocks -These include Midlocks "Frontlocks" and the Triad lock which is an improved backlock which involves the stop pin to improve strength. There is also the Spyderco Powerlock which is another type of backlock that uses some modifications. Many modern backlocks feature the Boye dent.

Axis/ Ball Bearing/ Bolt Lock - Basically all operate on a similar principal. Pushing metal between the tang and usually the stop pin so the blade is prevented from closing.

Button Lock - Mostly found on autos but some companies like Hogue make manual folders with this lock.

Slipjoint/ Friction Folder - Has no lock but slipjoints use a backspring to bias the blade towards open or closed. Friction folders use pivot tightness to prevent the blade from slipping shut.

There are more catagories but these are some of the basic ones. There are many unique locks like the Ti-lock from Chris Reeve or Kershaw used to use a lock that was actuated by the thumb stud.

Hope this helps. Each lock type has its advantages, disadvantages and variations.

Google's not my friend. I can google "nail gun" and end up with pages about ancient tribal customs in the south seas. I don't like Google and Google doesn't like me right back.
Thanks for the link. Does it cover locking mechanisms that aren't spyderco?

If you wanna really get all knife nerdy, pick up a copy of "Knife Mechanisms, just for the fun of it".

I haven't read it cover to cover, but I do enjoy browsing through it.
There are drawings and some photo of tons of different knife types.

That was disappointing.

The Kindle "book" isn't the full book. It's a scam. I paid to buy an ad for his paperback book.

That's all I need to know about him. I'll never buy one of his products again. I'm glad the book worked out for you, but I got ripped off. Not your fault, unless you're the "author".

............ unless you're the "author".

Awe crap...... No, I'm not the author, but I did the same thing with the ebook. I forgot about it, or I would've given you a heads up.

I really don't think he is a scammer, I actually think he is not that tech savvy. His website had been in various states of "under construction" for several years.

Sorry man, didn't mean to steer you wrong.

Im interested in a comprehensive list with diagrams and such( like the triad ,scorpion, crk ti lock just to name a few)as well. Hopefully someone will come along with more knowledge and fill us in.

Thanks for the link. Does it cover locking mechanisms that aren't spyderco?

You mean looks that aren't used by Spyderco at least currently?
bhj8zQp.gif

I'm sure everyone would like to help but your questions don't make too much sense or are unanswerable. Then are many, many different types of locks. The changes of coming up with a complete list are very low.

Maybe it would help if you told us what the point of all this is.

Back