Folder Actions

You mean looks that aren't used by Spyderco at least currently?
bhj8zQp.gif

I'm sure everyone would like to help but your questions don't make too much sense or are unanswerable. Then are many, many different types of locks. The changes of coming up with a complete list are very low.

Maybe it would help if you told us what the point of all this is.

For me its just pure wanting to see all the locks and types because i find it interesting and enjoy knives and knife mechanisms. Thats also part of the reason im on bladeforums. What is the problem with this request. I feel like its a completely resonable request. Maybe im in the minority.

Its not a problem. Just don't expect to see "all" of them in a comprehensive, concise list.

The subject of locks is pretty sweeping.

The Spyderco link is a good start.

So is going to the pages of the makers who use the locks (like the Scorpion) you are talking about.

Point being it is very often not efficient to ask sweeping, comprehensive questions like

I'd like to see an explanation, all in one place, about the different actions for folding knives, including objective advantages and disadvantages of the different actions.

or "What's the best knife steel", or "I would like a list of all knife acronyms explained."

A question like "What's your favorite lock and why?" would probably, eventually serve the same purpose and is easier to "chunk."

If I have to have a locking knife, I like a back lock. Simple, reliable, and it keeps my fingers out of the way of the blade.

For me its just pure wanting to see all the locks and types because i find it interesting and enjoy knives and knife mechanisms. Thats also part of the reason im on bladeforums. What is the problem with this request. I feel like its a completely resonable request. Maybe im in the minority.

That's it. I assumed there would be such a list, even with diagrams.

I had no idea knife makers don't write. Even gun makers, as crazy as they are, eventually wrote things down.

Point being it is very often not efficient to ask sweeping, comprehensive questions like

or "What's the best knife steel", or "I would like a list of all knife acronyms explained."

A question like "What's your favorite lock and why?" would probably, eventually serve the same purpose and is easier to "chunk."

If I have to have a locking knife, I like a back lock. Simple, reliable, and it keeps my fingers out of the way of the blade.

Well i simply disagree with you. This question is no more sweeping than a thread about different types of materials used for scales and that question has been asked multiple times on here. Theres threads about odd scale materials used and there are tons of threads on knife steels. And no one said it had to be concise. Just a picture of your locking mech and whatever you want to say about it.

Also going to manufacturers websites to find these locks that you do not know about would be difficult. I gave those as examples of odd locking mechs. But take (jammer for example) may have not heard of these or know where to look for them.

I was under the assumption that this site was for educating and fellow knife knuts coming together and sharing their expierences and knowledge. It really doesnt seem like that when you get this type of reaction from a simple question.

This is the op thread and i will not interrupt it any further and i apoligize jammer if i have overstepped. Have a great day folks and carry on.

Oh, God. How did you guys go from asking about lock mechanisms to implied and outright criticism of Bladeforums and it's members? That won't get you any answers. :/

How about just accepting the mild criticism about asking everyone else to do your work for you and re-making the thread:

"I'm compiling a list of all locking mechanisms that I can find with their advantages and disadvantages. Please post about your favorite and/or least favorite lock and why, or if you are the owner of a strange or rare locking knife, let me know! If you can provide a diagram or description of its operation, that would be much appreciated. When I've compiled the list I'll post it for all to see!"

If you can't even do that much, honestly, get lost. :/

Im interested in a comprehensive list with diagrams and such( like the triad ,scorpion, crk ti lock just to name a few)as well. Hopefully someone will come along with more knowledge and fill us in.

A lot of those rarer locks like the scorpion, strong, and ti-lock operate on similar principals.

Theb there are knives like Jacobs Ladders and Balisongs which is sort of a lock too.

There are lists. Usually it is a knife making company with a list of all the locks they use. There isn't a third party list of every lock type. Such a list would be quite long for a member to type out in a post.

The problem, as I see it, is that there isn't really a definitive "answer". I'm particularly interested in locking mechanisms, but I suspect that there are literally hundreds of different kinds (or variants) over the history of folding knives.

I'm always on the lookout for things I haven't seen and have yet to find the end of this particular rainbow. I'm actually quite happy about that fact, since it keeps me interested and learning. Go check out G&G Hawk's website if you want to see some interesting and innovative stuff and that's just one maker.

OP, you might really enjoy this thread: http://www.bladeforums.com/threads/weird-uncommon-locking-mechanisms.1446395/

You've been given a lot of good resources here about the more common lock types. And going to manufacturer websites and forums will yield a lot of good results for you as well. But that thread should give you an idea of just how many designs there are out there. And it's filled with Pictures!

Speaking of which, I know what this thread is missing and I'm going to try to remedy it by showing a lock type that I don't think has been mentioned here or in the thread I linked - the bull lock:
gec_23_071013_1_600__55795.1374871196.730.500.jpg

OP, you might really enjoy this thread: http://www.bladeforums.com/threads/weird-uncommon-locking-mechanisms.1446395/

You've been given a lot of good resources here about the more common lock types. And going to manufacturer websites and forums will yield a lot of good results for you as well. But that thread should give you an idea of just how many designs there are out there. And it's filled with Pictures!

Speaking of which, I know what this thread is missing and I'm going to try to remedy it by showing a lock type that I don't think has been mentioned here or in the thread I linked - the bull lock:

Very cool thanks for that link. i didnt know the hawks had as many different locks as they did. Also the bull lock looks really interesting. Im a huge gec fan and somehow that one slipped past me. I will have to check those out

There are so many types of locks.

There is a lock I have only seen once on a gas station knife that I ended up giving away.
I don't know what it's called, and me describing it would probably not convey how it actually works.
You have to see it, but you can't...because it is gone.

So that's my helpful contribution.
There's a weird lock out there that you'll never see. :D

So that's what that lock is called!
I've only seen that on a Marlin Spike knife, to lock the Marlin Spike open, before.
Thank you for posting that. I learned something new. :)

So a "slip joint" doesn't actually lock open? It looks like the actions that were on the "jackknives" when I was a kid.

Back