Forged In Fire

Congrats! Yours looked to be a great performer and I appreciated that you actually forged a socket and crossguards, I felt your competitor took a bit of an easy way out using a pipe (and it didn't look very good to me). Love this show, makes me want to hammer metal!

I spent the morning with Matt Parkinson, whose shop (Dragon's Breath Forge in CT) includes a multitude of past winners, including him. He filled me in on some of the inside details of the program (Where filmed, etc.) VERY cool program.

Allen, that was a great episode, and you appeared cool and collected throughout. It paid off.

Looking forward to the next installment.

Coop

I just read through all 29 1/2 pages of this thread. Seems to have gotten off the earlier theme of whether it is bad for a knifemaker's reputation. I don't think so. They're not really expected to make a piece that is representative of their skill level and demand. It's not so much about making a knife. Everybody KNOWS that JD Smith can make a knife. It's about how much you can better the idea of a sharp thing with a handle in 6 hours. Like an emergency tool, something that will do the job needed, but probably not much more, unless the smith has time and desire. You have X amount of time, you must do at least this. With our tools, in our shop. This isn't necessarily a knife that they would put their name on, just a representation of what THEY can do with just six hours, in these conditions, with these materials. It's a game show, and looking at it from that standpoint, I like it. Haven't missed an episode yet, and have met several makers who have been on it. Rather entertaining, in my opinion.

I just read through all 29 1/2 pages of this thread. Seems to have gotten off the earlier theme of whether it is bad for a knifemaker's reputation. I don't think so. They're not really expected to make a piece that is representative of their skill level and demand. It's not so much about making a knife. Everybody KNOWS that JD Smith can make a knife. It's about how much you can better the idea of a sharp thing with a handle in 6 hours. Like an emergency tool, something that will do the job needed, but probably not much more, unless the smith has time and desire. You have X amount of time, you must do at least this. With our tools, in our shop. This isn't necessarily a knife that they would put their name on, just a representation of what THEY can do with just six hours, in these conditions, with these materials. It's a game show, and looking at it from that standpoint, I like it. Haven't missed an episode yet, and have met several makers who have been on it. Rather entertaining, in my opinion.

As enthusiasts, we all know this. I think the concern early on was that this would give people who watch the show and decide to check out custom knives the wrong idea.

History Channel announced today that there will be two more episodes this season. Just passing the word along.;)

I believe they filmed 16 episodes, and decided to split them for two seasons of 8 but since the rating were so high they added two to this season

Loved the bayonet challenge, might have been too difficult for some of the skill levels represented but I hope they do it again.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

It is a fun show with a solid formula. I think Joe P would make a great judge!

It is a fun show with a solid formula. I think Joe P would make a great judge!

^^ Haha Yes! He really has a way of showing & speaking about the feel and capability of knives that never gets old.. :thumbup: :thumbup:

~Paul

My YT Channel Lsubslimed
... (It's been a few years since my last upload)

Joe definitely needs to do the cutting test. Those other 2 guys pale in comparison

Looks like the "Zulu Ikiwa" episode was the last episode for the season unless my DVR missed it.:(

Oh and I vote for Joe to join the cast too!:thumbup:

Back