Forging press, speed vs tons

As far as I know the loss is minimal. You are only talking about 15 to 20 ft with no head pressure to speak of. My brother is an engineer. I'll ask him when I see him this weekend.

Also another weird question. Can you bottom out or fully extend a cylinder. Can it take load in that position or will the internals damage its self.

On farm equipment we fully extend cylinders all the time. I'm not a farmer now, but I grew up on a farm. We'd have 30+ feet of hose to implements. I'd ask the supplier if the cylinder about full extension, as there are different types of cylinders. I'm not an expert on this by any stretch.

I'm just thinking about making the cylinder location adjustable so when fully extended you could control the gap between the dies. I have been mulling over a rather cool press design in my mind over the past few weeks

It'd depend on the cylinder. It isn't supposed to be an issue, but they can get stuck at full extension if poorly designed. Something worth checking out before buying though.
As for other issues in doing that, I don't know enough to say

I asked my brother about parasitic losses. He said if the system has a lot of turbulence, the losses would be noticeable. He thought the systems I was describing wouldn't have a lot of turbulence.

The largest loss in hydraulics is line restrictions. Too small a line or especially elbows will rob you of gpm. thats why most hyd setups try to utilize slow elbows wherever possible. Incorrectly sized valving should also be avoided.

Back