Francisco Vaz delivery

Jaysdad2

Platinum Member
I got a big score of five knives from Francisco today. I am very pleased. The Santok at the top, I got from him back in April or May it is Magnacut with . The slicer and large paring/small petty are also magnacut with stabilized maple.

The next three are W-2, 1085, and 52100. I am really loving the hamon on the honyaki. I am going to have to cook a lot in the next few weeks.

Attachments

• IMG_1241.jpeg
    IMG_1241.jpeg
    770.2 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1246.jpeg
    IMG_1246.jpeg
    837.6 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1245.jpeg
    IMG_1245.jpeg
    817 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Those are all amazing blades...have you had a chance to test these out yet...it HAS been a couple months šŸ˜…šŸ¤£šŸ˜‰

Let's see some in-use, updated pics! I think you also just scored some Raptors recently šŸ¤”...those were breathtaking šŸ˜. Congratulations on all your F. Vaz knives (I see you have some of his first knives with full name--cool! I think my blade steel is 14C28N (on all blades I'm getting) and I wonder how all his other steels are--I still have yet to use them though.

Anywho, Francisco is in overdrive with his many talents and creativity at full throttle finishing up some for me...I can't wait!

I'll try to keep an eye on your thread here, bc this young man has crazy potential for his age and a bright future in knife-making!

Keep it up Francisco Vaz Francisco Vaz and chime in if so obliged...but dont take too much time away from your forging mastery!

Thanks for sharing,
JT

Obviously, I could prepare my food with fewer knives, ā€¦ but why would I want toā€¦ :cool:

Santuko in Magnacut at work on some cantaloupe.
Everything about this blade is amazing šŸ‘...I am interested to see how his MC holds up over the years (I noticed in his not so subtle knife posts, he has Dr. Larrin's knife steels book in the background) šŸ¤”šŸ¤£

So far I really like the Magnacut. It does seem to turn a little ā€œblueā€ when you slice beef or something acidic like the melon. However, it cleans off and with a little oil wipe down, it goes back to looking like new. I imagine Dr. Larrin could explain that chemical reaction?

That's good to hear you like it and strange about turning a bit blue šŸ¤”...I've not delved too far into understanding MC but I'm sure he and other knifemakers (perhaps F. Vaz?) may know. Whether it's particularly the steel, HT, or other.

How's the blade profile on these...his pics show how amazingly thin they are, so I'm sure they're perfect slicers and choppers. So how "fragile" are they? Or can they be used without too much worry? I will receive mine soon, but figured I'd just pick your brain a bit. Hope you don't mind and please take your time responding ā˜ŗļø.

I hope you donā€˜t jynx me by asking. Franciscoā€™s knives are super thin and light. Slicing garlic is like using a razorā€¦ shaving slices so thin you can see through them. They do not seem ā€œfragile.ā€ I have flexed them (a little) on the cutting board and they donā€™t feel brittle. I would not flex any of them like a fillet knife though.

The grinds are super consistent and the blades are true and flat, no warping on any of the ones I have recieved.

I would not try to pry open a cabinet drawer or open a can with one of Franciscoā€™s thin slicing knives. I hope I donā€™t drop one on my tile floor in the kitchen anytime soon.

I got one of his heavy parong style choppers in 52100 that is sturdy enough to break a door or cut open an ammo can. If I need to break down a pig or a dozen chickens, I will use it and not one of the slicers.

I got a big score of five knives from Francisco today. I am very pleased. The Santuko at the top, I got from him back in April or May it is Magnacut with . The slicer and large paring/small petty are also magnacut with stabilized maple.

The next three are W-2, 1085, and 52100. I am really loving the hamon on the honayaki. I am going to have to cook a lot in the next few weeks.
Very nice knives.
But...Santoku....not Santuko.
Honyaki...not honayaki.

That's good to hear you like it and strange about turning a bit blue šŸ¤”...I've not delved too far into understanding MC but I'm sure he and other knifemakers (perhaps F. Vaz?) may know. Whether it's particularly the steel, HT, or other.

How's the blade profile on these...his pics show how amazingly thin they are, so I'm sure they're perfect slicers and choppers. So how "fragile" are they? Or can they be used without too much worry? I will receive mine soon, but figured I'd just pick your brain a bit. Hope you don't mind and please take your time responding ā˜ŗļø.
I thought about the ā€œthinnessā€ of Franciscoā€™s knives. I donā€™t have a caliper, but I do have a couple of Murray Carter knives and a couple of Don Andrade knives. Franciscoā€™s spine widths and edge widths are very comparable to Carterā€™s and Andradeā€™s. Kitchen knives should be thinner than tactical knives. I can see using them ā€œas they were intendedā€ for a very long time with no problems.

Back