Front Pocket Briefcase

I agree with medusa. I have the front pocket briefcase and love it, however it is not suitable for a bug out bag.

Having only one strap will not make the Front Pocket Briefcase sloppy or unstable. I carry a medium Classic Briefcase to work every day, and I only fasten the middle buckle, and it holds the bag stably and securely closed with no wobbling around.

The two extra straps on the Classic Briefcases do allow you to attach more stuff to the bag if you need to carry more than will fit inside.

If you're looking for a bug out bag to handle camping and hunting, then you need a backpack. There is no way that a briefcase could ever make a good bug out bag. You need something to distribute weight evenly on 2 shoulders, hands free, so you can move, be balanced, and use both your hands. Running and climbing with a briefcase over your shoulder is really not the best plan. The weight will get to you too, after a few hours or a few miles.

Hey, thanks for this. Good news on the single strap strength. Nice to hear you have the medium Classic Briefcase. Do you ever use it for 1-2 night travel and find it big enough? Its meant to carry 21-22 litres, which is quite impressive.

I guess you are right and I have considered the backpack. I just cant afford both of them. The bags primary use will be for business and use as an EDC bag. I could use a Fjallraven Large No.21 Rucksack as my camping bag, I just feel I will fall in love with the SBL briefcase and I was surprised how much they actually fit in the wild, yet at the same time exude so much character!

I have considered purchasing the shoulder straps from the backpack to attach to the top D-rings of the Large Front Pocket Briefcase if I go camping or hunting! Apparently this can be done and may help distribute the weight. Besides I wont be doing any serious long term hiking or climbing, more just walking from the car park to the camp site and some hunting on the ranges.

Last edited:
Hey, thanks for this. Good news on the single strap strength. Nice to hear you have the medium Classic Briefcase. Do you ever use it for 1-2 night travel and find it big enough? Its meant to carry 21-22 litres, which is quite impressive.

I guess you are right and I have considered the backpack. I just cant afford both of them. I could use a Fjallraven Large No.21 Rucksack as my camping bag, I just feel I will fall in love with the SBL briefcase and they look so cool in the wild!

However I should have mentioned this. I have considered purchasing the shoulder straps from the backpack to attach to the top D-rings of the Large Front Pocket Briefcase if I go camping or hunting! Apparently this can be done and may help distribute the weight. Besides I wont be doing any serious hiking or climbing, more just walking from the car park to the camp site and some hunting on the ranges.
Like I said before, if you want a bug out bag, Saddleback is not the way to go. I have the front pocket briefcase and have even used it as a backpack, but would not recommend doing so unless absolutely necessary. It does not sit that well on the back. Get a cordura backpack with padded straps.

I've used my briefcase as an overnight bag a few times and it works well as long as you don't need to wear a suit the next day. It's also a good carryon bag as well. But it is NOT a replacement for a backpack.

I agree with medusa. I have the front pocket briefcase and love it, however it is not suitable for a bug out bag.

Hi. Sure. Do you find it has more internal room that the Large Classic Briefcase, as it doesn't have any internal pockets taking up space? That's if you have a LCB of course!

Hi. Sure. Do you find it has more internal room that the Large Classic Briefcase, as it doesn't have any internal pockets taking up space? That's if you have a LCB of course!
Yes it does, which is why I went with it over the classic. I like having the pockets on the outside to better sort my stuff

Like I said before, if you want a bug out bag, Saddleback is not the way to go. I have the front pocket briefcase and have even used it as a backpack, but would not recommend doing so unless absolutely necessary. It does not sit that well on the back. Get a cordura backpack with padded straps.

I've used my briefcase as an overnight bag a few times and it works well as long as you don't need to wear a suit the next day. It's also a good carryon bag as well. But it is NOT a replacement for a backpack.

Yeah OK, thanks. In forgetting the term bug out bag, would consider your Large Front Pocket Briefcase a good EDC bag then?

Yes it definitely can be.

Hey Dude, so what do you reckon does the large Front Pocket Briefcase have more internal room than the Large Classic Briefcase, after all you were one of the reviewers who actually said the internal pockets on the LCB get in the way ??? Cheers

The Saddleback website has the interior dimensions on both bags, which if I remember correctly are similar, but does not take into account the pockets. So having the pockets moved to the outside gives you more overall storage space.

Thanks for the advice. I took another look myself and I think you're right. I am going to go with Large Front Pocket Briefcase. Over the years my grandfather always brought that style of bag, although in those days they did not offer the width we can get today.

Back