Fugitive PassAround - Reviews Are In!

It's like any other bureaucracy... what you get depends mostly on who you deal with on any given day. I've had fine experiences with 90% of the folks at PO's that I've dealt with... but every once in a while you get one jerk who had a fight with his wife last night, and is going to do everything he can to make things difficult. Stoopid humans :rolleyes:

I think the assistant postmistress at my local PO is in a good mood 3 days a month...

My local PO has a self-serve lobby that's open late, complete with a kiosk to weigh packages and buy the shipping label, and a secure drop-box to place it in... I rarely have to deal with a human anymore. I ship a lot of stuff from there and this is the first time I've had an issue with any of my packages getting through... in the future I will not re-use/cut down pre-printed boxes (that seems to have been the big no-no here?). I'll look into alternatives like FedEx and UPS, as well.

I apologize again for the inconvenience :(

It's not your fault, James. It is just one particular twit that caused this. Every other stop on the way passed it through, this person rejected it (twice) and caused it to ship an extra 900 miles. I guess he did his job;)

(He could have accepted it and it would have cost USPS much less in fuel).

It is just frustrating...

They tell me that EVERY person along the way has the right to reject for this, but obviously most won't. It really chapped my hide that they'd rather toss a free and perfectly good box in the trash than recycle it.

Wow I have done that before, I thought as long as it issent priority they dont care if you use the boxes. You just cant use a priority box and ship it first class. I have cut down boxes and I reuses boxes when I can, like you said its stupid to throw out a good box.

A little bird just told me the Fugitive finally made it to the next tester. :thumbup:

A little bird just told me the Fugitive finally made it to the next tester. :thumbup:

I heard that news also. I am happy it finally made it to its destination. Hopefully things will continue smoothly from here.

I look forward to reading more reviews and less shipping stories in this thread ;)

OK, so I showed the Fugitive to a coworker - he really likes the overall look, found the handle very comfortable, and commented that the knife feels a lot lighter than it looks like it should.
Got home, handed it to SWMBO - with her tiny little bird-boned hands, and she liked the handles as well.
I find the handle contours quite comfortable, the handle long enough (barely) for a hammer grip, and easy to switch grips for different types of cutting. (hammer, saber, reverse)
tomorrow it'll get kitchen duty. (chicken curry)
looking forward to getting out in the woods this weekend so I can put it through some paces.

Day 2: food prep. anyone who has met me knows it takes a lot of calories to maintain a figure like mine!

stir fry with the Fugitive:
starting with a poblano pepper, medium sized onion, handful of baby carrots, and a couple pesto marinated chicken breasts.
1798529_10152235634109603_999917687_n.jpg

made matchsticks of the pepper and carrots, plus a few carrot coins
148650_10152235634144603_1612332510_n.jpg

sliced up the chicken both with and cross grain -- no issues
1620674_10152235634174603_444644347_n.jpg

ready to eat!
1511753_10152235634274603_924862464_n.jpg

observations: the thumb divot on top works real well for index finger placement while slicing soft stuff.
the blade is thick enough it won't make paper thin onion slices, but will make paper thin carrot slices.
no problems with push cuts, pull cuts, rocking cuts and straight down cuts with no draw.

the thumb divot has well squared corners -- this is uncomfortable when cutting hard material, but not really noticeable when cutting soft stuff like the peppers. I suspect I will appreciate it when I'm in the woods with the knife -- I'm betting it will make great shavings/scrapings for fire tinder.

Any updates on this thing? I know I said I'd keep a low profile, but... it has been more than a week. I'm a little curious.

sorry - friend was in a bad car wreck Friday, then we had a bit of weather (13.5" of snow is the official count in town - I think we got a bit more than that out here in the sticks)
Will be back out in the woods with it this weekend and Psyop is supposed to be over as well so it'll go home with him for more testing and I'll get the rest of my review up Sunday evening.

So we had some weather today - gorgeous snow coming down while i dug out a snow cave.
After that, chopped down a large weed (AKA juniper tree) with some other knives
The Fugitive is NOT a good chopper - it's too balanced -- but will do the job with a little extra effort.
OTOH, it did a good job of stripping small branches off the trunk, scraping dry bark off the lower part of the tree, making shavings & feathers, and striking a spark off a ferro rod. (the Spanish notch is the perfect size for the ferro rod I had with me - spine also made great sparks)

1620460_10152261361969603_1049467044_n.jpg

1621821_10152261362034603_39900849_n.jpg

1797546_10152261362084603_1098676440_n.jpg

1797606_10152261362154603_765843244_n.jpg

1779695_10152261362209603_1041654359_n.jpg

1796606_10152261362719603_1106465157_n.jpg

1619099_10152261362524603_540995351_n.jpg

love the reflection of the bark in the blade as i was making shavings (slab of elm bark)
1922098_10152261363024603_1905639754_n.jpg

1901759_10152261363089603_1928384600_n.jpg

and this was just a cool pic.
1013471_10152261362779603_2143228520_n.jpg

overall impression - nice knife, love the handles, could learn to like the steel a lot -- did not need to do any sharpening, it sheared newsprint well before I started today and never hesitated at any reasonable task I gave it. Since I used it last fall to convert oak firewood to matchstick and thumb sized kindling, I did not repeat that today -- but it did that with aplomb as well. Tip works well for drilling, too.
knife sheath carried great in my coveralls pocket while I was digging out the cave. heh.

Knife went home with Psyop at the end of the afternoon -- will be interesting to see what all he does with it. (rumor has it he is planning on trying to baton it through a piece of INFI...)

It's gettin' all dirty and scratched up! :eek:

Just the way it should be :thumbup:

I was with 1066vik the whole time, digging the cave and making the fire. Sometimes I was taking pics sometimes I was using the knife. My initial impressions were that it is very balanced and lighter than I thought it would be for a knife that size. The balance point is right on the indent for the first finger, making it a bit rear heavy. This seems to be very inline with James intentions of this being a fighting/survival knife.

Fit and finish are very good the handle is comfortable for my large hands. Reverse grip feels good too. The spine is sharp making that part useful for camping purposes.

This is me making tinder for the fire. I was able to use it with gloves on and still had room. My hands are XL but a bit smaller than 1066's it was making some very fine almost see thorough curls.

This is a twig I sharpened and Im cutting a chunk of summer sausage to cook.

After that day of fairly heavy use I took it home and it was still push cutting paper cleanly. I did not do anything other than wash the blade.

Today I used it to start a fire in my emberlit and boil some water.

The knife did well with snap cuts on the twigs of the juniper tree.

Looks like a really nice knife there. How do you think Elmax compares to the 3V you also use? Looks like Peters did a great job on the HT, as usual.

Looks like a really nice knife there. How do you think Elmax compares to the 3V you also use? Looks like Peters did a great job on the HT, as usual.

Thanks!

I don't think Elmax is quite as tough as 3V, but it certainly seems to be holding up well in the knives I've tested so far. I have yet to chip an edge, or even get any noticeable rolling. It's certainly more corrosion-resistant than 3V. It's very similar in terms of sharpening and edge-retention.

Yup, Peters HT rocks :) :thumbup:

I have never tested 3v however THIS Elmax has out preformed anything I have ever used as far as edge retention is concerned,

Back