Gaucho knives and cuchillos criollos of South America

I have listened to the demands of the people.

@Alexandre Hentges Kaspary ships his knives very securely, in a zippered pouch that is bubble wrapped. I thought the pouch a nice touch.

View attachment 2563728

Opening the pouch revealed a beautiful faca, with a round bolster that the Brazilians favor.

View attachment 2563731

The buttcap is also rounded, and shaped to match the contours of the stag handle.

View attachment 2563734

I asked for a faca with a 23 cm blade, but the blade ended up being almost a full 25 cm. I can't believe how much bigger it looks compared to my puñal.

View attachment 2563735

Despite having a longer blade, I think my faca is less robust than my puñal due to its thinner spine. I had hoped for a lomo ancho like the vintage German blades, but it's probably for the best as the faca already has a more blade-heavy balance that the puñal.

View attachment 2563736

I already love this knife. Just the thing to have handy in case I ever find myself in a tree face to face with a jaguar.

View attachment 2563755

😁
Stunningly beautiful, Christian. Gorgeous stag. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I have listened to the demands of the people.

@Alexandre Hentges Kaspary ships his knives very securely, in a zippered pouch that is bubble wrapped. I thought the pouch a nice touch.

View attachment 2563728

Opening the pouch revealed a beautiful faca, with a round bolster that the Brazilians favor.

View attachment 2563731

The buttcap is also rounded, and shaped to match the contours of the stag handle.

View attachment 2563734

I asked for a faca with a 23 cm blade, but the blade ended up being almost a full 25 cm. I can't believe how much bigger it looks compared to my puñal.

View attachment 2563735

Despite having a bigger blade, I think my faca is less robust than my puñal due to its thinner spine. I had hoped for a lomo ancho like the vintage German blades, but it's probably for the best as the faca already has a more blade-heavy balance compared to the puñal.

View attachment 2563736

I already love this knife. Just the thing to have handy in case I ever find myself in a tree face to face with a jaguar.

View attachment 2563755

😁
Mercy sakes what a dandy! 😍 😍😍😍

blade thickness -- .157"
5/32" is easier for me to conceptualize. (Got that off the back of one of my 6" steel rulers with pocket clip/depth gauge.)
Just the thing to have handy in case I ever find myself in a tree face to face with a jaguar.
Maybe I'll try ordering that book again.

Old news but good news:
0pg84T6.jpg

A Boker Arbolito added to my criollo stable will give me the perfect trifecta :thumbsup::cool:

1) A beautiful criollo hand made and forged by a very talented Argentine contemporary maker @maxipescie ✔️
2) A well preserved example of Argentine cutlery with exquisite "plateria" work and a Tandil made blade ✔️
3) A German made Boker Arbolito blade, the grail of so many gauchos combined with my own work in putting a handle on it. ( hopefully I can put a checkmark as well on option # 3 this spring ) I will go for at least a 6 inch blade to complement my two smaller verijeros.

Hi Dan.

I know you're going to get an Arbolito some day, so I thought you'd find this helpful. It's a blog post showing different Arbolito stamps over the years. Should come in handy dating blade blanks.

My puñal is finally starting to look like a real gaucho's knife.

53712273435_6b57d271bc_c.jpg

I'm not quite sure what the dark spot is. It's a special mix of queso, salsa, guacamole, frijoles, and asada from the burrito I halved last night. Instead of cleaning my knife right away, I started chowing down and forgot about it for a couple of hours.

Oh well, she's clean now. Even oiled the handle in addition to the blade.

I'm not quite sure what the dark spot is. It's a special mix of queso, salsa, guacamole, frijoles, and asada from the burrito I halved last night. Instead of cleaning my knife right away, I started chowing down and forgot about it for a couple of hours.

Reckon it's looking good! 👍 🤠

Hi Dan.

I know you're going to get an Arbolito some day, so I thought you'd find this helpful. It's a blog post showing different Arbolito stamps over the years. Should come in handy dating blade blanks.

Thanks for the link to the article on Boker Arbolitos Christian ! Bookmarked it :thumbsup:
I had not yet come across that one and enjoyed the photos and the info on stamps and their dates.

You are right I am afraid about me getting an Boker Arbolito Criollo someday :thumbsup: :cool:
It would indeed be a very desired acquisition, something from the late 1880's to the 1930's if I can :thumbsup:😍

Your puñal is certainly looking like a real gaucho's knife now !

I can't believe that you halved a Burrito in half :eek: !!!
You are are my type of gaucho :D
XO544l2.jpg

A few of the images from the link Christian shared about Arbolito criollos.
P0rEBIZ.jpg

N6Q7Xpe.jpg

IdRHpKA.jpg

Some stamps as shown in article.
1895-1900
H56cqqb.jpg

1900-1920
3Gze11w.jpg

1920-1925
OMj8ila.jpg

1925-1935
8NFwPgB.jpg

Another painting by Rodolfo Ramos:
gYYQh8e.jpg

Your puñal is certainly looking like a real gaucho's knife now !

I can't believe that you halved a Burrito in half :eek: !!!
You are are my type of gaucho :D

Hahaha...I do admit to using a knife in the past on food when I could have easily torn into it. But this time, I really do think it was necessary to use a blade. I have no idea how one goes about tearing a burrito in half without making a mess.

🤔

Hello folks :)

I had written a lengthy post about Arbolito criollos and had saved it as draft only to come now a few days later and find the draft gone :(

My English generally flows as good as molasses on a cold day LOL 😄 so I am quite disappointed about the missing draft.

Anyhoo, the recent posts about Boker Arbolito criollos along with a couple questions Christian had asked me prompted me to reach out to someone in Argentina whom I trust and respect regarding his knowledge and expertise regarding these knives.

I wanted to find out which time period/production years are the most coveted by collectors and command the highest prizes.

I was told it is the period between 1920 and 1925 with the stamp featuring the tree to the left of the inscription.

I then asked about Arbolito criollos from before that time and was surprised to find out that they entered Argentina later than what I had thought. I was told that no one knows for sure the exact year they were first imported however it was sometime between 1900 and 1920 with educated guesses pointing to around 1910.
more or less.

I asked if other criollo brands had a presence in the very late 1800's and turn of the century and was told yes indeed, brands such as Libertad, Gloria, Patria and Dufour among others were.

The thing is that not very many of those early knives survived to this day.
This makes sense to me as gauchos were obviously not knife collector but rather poor, hard working men that used their carbon steel knives very hard in the very humid pampas. All these factors combined meant that those knives did not last too long.

I was also cautioned to take the stamps with their corresponding years as guidelines rather than established facts as Boker was at times inconsistent with their use of stamps which poses significant difficulties, even for the experts to arrive at definite conclusions.

I also asked about the perceived decline in quality of the modern Arbolitos criollos in the minds of many and if true when did this decline began.

Our Argentine friend pointed out, first of all, that it is hard to know exactly where they are made these days.

He does not think Boker's factory in Solingen still makes knives with integral bolsters such as the criollos in question. He suspects is another factory in Germany that makes them for Boker. He said that Boker does not make any criollos in Argentina either which surprised me as the Boker Argentine website states otherwise.

He told me that up until the 1980's their criollos were very good.
He said that in the 80's they also had a beautiful version with a "doble lomo". I guess that translates to double back or extra thick spine.

In the 1990's is when things start to go down. It seems that the dies used to make the knives were by then just too old and not able to accurately produce the legendary knives anymore ( ex: bolsters had lost the characteristic shape etc ). Replacing the dies is extremely expensive so things continued to deteriorate.
(As per Boker advertising in their current website they have recently introduced/invested in new dies.)

Also in the 1990's there were a lot of knives imported to Argentina of varying quality. Some unofficial importers were importing "seconds" or defective knives which did not help Boker Arbolito reputation.

He told me he remembers in the 1990's at a knife expo seeing the official stand for Boker Arbolito and the other importer of lesser quality knives side by side in the show.

Based on all of the above I realize that an Arbolito criollo from the 1920's will be totally out of my price range most likely however it is encouraging to know that up until the 1980 they were still very good, heck I might just buy a modern one one day so I can see it and experience it first hand :cool:

So that's it for today folks, I hope I was able to make half sense :)
I want to reiterate that I am just beginning to learn about these beautiful traditional knives (and will likely remain a beginner for a long time :)

I'll leave today with a couple few more paintings by Rodolfo Ramos from different periods in the gaucho's history

vydxkhc.jpg

eBqjag6.jpg

isXwoqK.jpg

Hello folks :)

I had written a lengthy post about Arbolito criollos and had saved it as draft only to come now a few days later and find the draft gone :(

My English generally flows as good as molasses on a cold day LOL 😄 so I am quite disappointed about the missing draft.

Anyhoo, the recent posts about Boker Arbolito criollos along with a couple questions Christian had asked me prompted me to reach out to someone in Argentina whom I trust and respect regarding his knowledge and expertise regarding these knives.

I wanted to find out which time period/production years are the most coveted by collectors and command the highest prizes.

I was told it is the period between 1920 and 1925 with the stamp featuring the tree to the left of the inscription.

I then asked about Arbolito criollos from before that time and was surprised to find out that they entered Argentina later than what I had thought. I was told that no one knows for sure the exact year they were first imported however it was sometime between 1900 and 1920 with educated guesses pointing to around 1910.
more or less.

I asked if other criollo brands had a presence in the very late 1800's and turn of the century and was told yes indeed, brands such as Libertad, Gloria, Patria and Dufour among others were.

The thing is that not very many of those early knives survived to this day.
This makes sense to me as gauchos were obviously not knife collector but rather poor, hard working men that used their carbon steel knives very hard in the very humid pampas. All these factors combined meant that those knives did not last too long.

I was also cautioned to take the stamps with their corresponding years as guidelines rather than established facts as Boker was at times inconsistent with their use of stamps which poses significant difficulties, even for the experts to arrive at definite conclusions.

I also asked about the perceived decline in quality of the modern Arbolitos criollos in the minds of many and if true when did this decline began.

Our Argentine friend pointed out, first of all, that it is hard to know exactly where they are made these days.

He does not think Boker's factory in Solingen still makes knives with integral bolsters such as the criollos in question. He suspects is another factory in Germany that makes them for Boker. He said that Boker does not make any criollos in Argentina either which surprised me as the Boker Argentine website states otherwise.

He told me that up until the 1980's their criollos were very good.
He said that in the 80's they also had a beautiful version with a "doble lomo". I guess that translates to double back or extra thick spine.

In the 1990's is when things start to go down. It seems that the dies used to make the knives were by then just too old and not able to accurately produce the legendary knives anymore ( ex: bolsters had lost the characteristic shape etc ). Replacing the dies is extremely expensive so things continued to deteriorate.
(As per Boker advertising in their current website they have recently introduced/invested in new dies.)

Also in the 1990's there were a lot of knives imported to Argentina of varying quality. Some unofficial importers were importing "seconds" or defective knives which did not help Boker Arbolito reputation.

He told me he remembers in the 1990's at a knife expo seeing the official stand for Boker Arbolito and the other importer of lesser quality knives side by side in the show.

Based on all of the above I realize that an Arbolito criollo from the 1920's will be totally out of my price range most likely however it is encouraging to know that up until the 1980 they were still very good, heck I might just buy a modern one one day so I can see it and experience it first hand :cool:

So that's it for today folks, I hope I was able to make half sense :)
I want to reiterate that I am just beginning to learn about these beautiful traditional knives (and will likely remain a beginner for a long time :)

I'll leave today with a couple few more paintings by Rodolfo Ramos from different periods in the gaucho's history

vydxkhc.jpg

eBqjag6.jpg

isXwoqK.jpg
Always interesting, Dan. Thank you!

I'm always skeptical of claims of the type of "they don't make them like they used to," and not only when it comes to knives. I find that, when it comes to functionality, such claims tend to be based more on romanticism than facts. I've had modern, mass-produced German knives perform better than ones from more "legendary" periods, and by reputable brands. When it comes to Bökers/Arbolitos, who knows ... What I can say almost for sure, though, is that the value of knives from certain periods and/or with certain stamps has more to do with the historical context, rarity, and looks than with functional quality.

As a somewhat obsessive (and often compulsive) antique knives collector, I can confirm that "good things come to those who wait." If you diligently keep an eye on the used/vintage market (including the usual online online platforms) and know what to look for (hint: things are not always listed as what they are; e.g., I've seen antique gaucho knives listed as letter openers), you will eventually "get lucky." Very recently, in fact, I was following an Arbolito verijero from exactly that period, with a beautiful silver (I think) handle and a picaza (interesting word as it pertains to the etymology of faca and facón, by the way) sheath of the type typically seen in Jagdnickers. In the end, I forgot the auction was ending soon and it ended up selling for something like $60. So perhaps we need to revise the saying: "Good things come to those who wait, as long as they set a reminder."

Always interesting, Dan. Thank you!
Gracias Vince 😊
. I find that, when it comes to functionality, such claims tend to be based more on romanticism than facts
I have my share of skepticism as well regarding things of this nature and have no doubt that romanticism plays a big role in the way our already subjective brains perceive reality.

I think it would be great if a vintage and a modern Arbolito in this case, be as objectively as possible tested side by side by a couple of pros ( hardness, edge retention, toughness etc).

I wonder what the numbers on those spreadsheets would look like.

I can confirm that "good things come to those who wait." If you diligently keep an eye on the used/vintage market (including the usual online online platforms) and know what to look for (hint: things are not always listed as what they are; e.g., I've seen antique gaucho knives listed as letter openers), you will eventually "get lucky."
Gracias amigo 😎 !
It’s good to know that it’s not something out of reach.
It certainly would be a special and meaningful acquisition 👍

Did you say Arbolito?
No way Jose !!! 😲😎👍
Oh, man, I can’t wait for the show and tell 😍
——-

Gauchos often referred to their female companions/ partners as their “china” ( chi pronounced as in chi-a seeds )

I always wondered why but I am not a linguist to even attempt to find out 😉😎

A gaucho and his china
Kgxh2hV.jpg

La pisadora de maíz(c. 1868) by Pallière.
rpVEmQh.jpg

At this very moment I am inside our tiny sailboat on a 4 day trip (120 km) trough some beautiful Ontario waterways.
We left the mast and sails at home for this first trip of 2024 and are more in “cruising mode”

My “china” is peacefully snoring besides me 😄 and it’s raining outside.

A “water gaucho” and his “china” 😊
alP5h1y.jpg

Ri672IJ.jpeg

I brought along my “fancy” Verijero … just for pictures 😊
3Xic6Fm.jpg

Gracias Vince 😊

I have my share of skepticism as well regarding things of this nature and have no doubt that romanticism plays a big role in the way our already subjective brains perceive reality.

I think it would be great if a vintage and a modern Arbolito in this case, be as objectively as possible tested side by side by a couple of pros ( hardness, edge retention, toughness etc).

I wonder what the numbers on those spreadsheets would look like.

Gracias amigo 😎 !
It’s good to know that it’s not something out of reach.
It certainly would be a special and meaningful acquisition 👍

No way Jose !!! 😲😎👍
Oh, man, I can’t wait for the show and tell 😍
——-

Gauchos often referred to their female companions/ partners as their “china” ( chi pronounced as in chi-a seeds )

I always wondered why but I am not a linguist to even attempt to find out 😉😎

A gaucho and his china
Kgxh2hV.jpg

La pisadora de maíz(c. 1868) by Pallière.
rpVEmQh.jpg

At this very moment I am inside our tiny sailboat on a 4 day trip (120 km) trough some beautiful Ontario waterways.
We left the mast and sails at home for this first trip of 2024 and are more in “cruising mode”

My “china” is peacefully snoring besides me 😄 and it’s raining outside.

A “water gaucho” and his “china” 😊
alP5h1y.jpg

Ri672IJ.jpeg

I brought along my “fancy” Verijero … just for pictures 😊
3Xic6Fm.jpg
Very pretty, don’t drop it overboard as it will sink quick. 😀 That would be sad. I can see the reel move when you catch one on the line and the knife would go “splash.”

Back