• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Gents Perfect EDC SlipJoint--Blue Siberian Mammoth Ivory

jon, i just read your link. you have described your experience very clearly.
this is bad news for the others waiting to hear. i consider myself lucky as i did receive the pappy knife i bought from his first posting here at BF. an o.k. knife, but not a great one.
so why does this upset me so much ? i'm not sure, but it's something to do with trust. bf members sell and buy knives from each other all the time.
i have bought over 30 knives in these forums and almost all the sellers, being knife knuts themselves, go to great lengths to represent the knife and themselves accurately. this gives the buyer, not only the knife they expect, but the good feeling that comes from 2 strangers treating each other with integrity. basically a "double pleasure".
once you get into this many "excuses", then the fact is: the seller is manipulative and lying about mailing out knives. so, should any of us believe any longer that these knives are made in the manner, or even country, he claims ? i do not.
i think BF should ban such makers from posting anymore knives for sale in these forums, in part so that newer BF, members unaware of the history, will not be victimized.
roland

jon, i just read your link. you have described your experience very clearly.

i think BF should ban such makers from posting anymore knives for sale in these forums, in part so that newer BF, members unaware of the history, will not be victimized.
roland

Perhaps this experience should go into: "The Good, The Bad and The UGLY" forum?

There definitely seems like something is NOT RIGHT in this transaction. If Tim(pappy) was sincere, I think he should have made an appearance in this thread long ago?

Peter

i just called his number and no answer. i'll keep trying throughout the day and see if i can find out whats going on.

That is a beautiful knife, no doubt

And it is the holiday season, much travel, much time away

I've always tried to give the other person the benefit of the doubt and

from reading other threads, Pappy has made up for his short comings

No one person can do everything as well as much as we all would like.

While I don't have a dog in this fight and probably should stay out,

but being the kind of guy I am, just wanted to say we should take a breather here

and let the holidays blow over and see what's what...

It's New Year's Eve folks, a WHOLE new year is ahead of us and

we should appreciate all the great things we do have.

That's about it, thanks for reading down this far,
G2

Perhaps this experience should go into: "The Good, The Bad and The UGLY" forum?

There definitely seems like something is NOT RIGHT in this transaction. If Tim(pappy) was sincere, I think he should have made an appearance in this thread long ago?

Peter
Perhaps, he is not in town or even in country, he has not been active on forum since 12/14/08. I for one am giving him the benefit of doubt, but time will tell on what turns out. I have sent him an email, but no response yet. Perhaps Richard will reach him. We will see.
Jim

come on guys, be realistic. this seller has told more than one purchaser on more than one occasion each, that a knife(or knives) has been mailed to them.
but nothing ever arrives, no emails answered, unreachable by phone, etc.
read jon's link (post #20). there's more going on than "being out of the country", holiday time, etc.
would YOU repeatedly tell someone you had mailed them their knife when you had not ?
roland

First, let me apologize to those who I have put into a difficult position. While there are reasons that things happen, this set of circumstances should never have happened. I fell down on the job and let things get out of control. None of it should have happened. It is my fault that it did.

No matter what is going on in my business, it should never keep me from doing the things that are basic courtesy in any business situation. There are some not-so-good things happening in my little corner of the world. If I can't keep those things separate from the business, then I should not offer things for sale here on the forums, or any where else.

So, I deserve to be yelled at for what has happened.

I have contacted the people involved and have made my best attempt to make things right.

I've re-arranged my priorities, and my business, so that no matter what it takes, things like this will not happen again if I have any thing to say about it.

I wrote in one letter to a customer the following:

I deserve to be yelled at for the past. I can only hope to work harder, and maybe at some point, to deserve your respect sometime in the future.

So, no excuses. I screwed up.
I'm going to work hard to make sure I don't screw up again.

To all of you, for the new year...............

Keep Care,

Pappy
440-984-5570

If you are serious about not wanting the knife JW, I will ask for seconds on it.
Thanks,
Jim

But if I were you, I would wait just a little longer, I think Pappy will come through and you will be happy you did.

My offer still stands Pappy, if JW still wants his money back, then I would like to be in second. PM me with his decision. When he is happy, you and I can do a deal.
Jim

i just got off the phone with pappy. i cant go into details of what happened but he's going to make things right. everyone will be happy once he does. its going to take some time is all.

I got an email from Pappy today. He seems very sorry , and seems serious that he will make everything right. I look forward to this whole thing being resolved..

Happy New Year To Everyone and Thank You to everyone that has helped me.

Happy New Year all.
I wanted to update everyone on this situation.

So that things are clear, and there are no misunderstandings, I'd like to share with you the following information:

1. Jeff's refund was issued last evening via paypal.
His knife, and an additional gents folder with mammoth ivory, was sent today via express mail.
He should have the knife he ordered, and the one offered in apology, on Saturday if USPS does its job.
His tracking number is EO 897 992 793 US (it is different than the number I originally gave to him.)
Hopefully he will receive his knives in good order and be pleased with them.

2. Ralph Chamberlain was issued his refund last evening via paypal.
His knife, and an additional stag handled daddy barlow (I think Ralph likes stag!), was sent today via express mail.
He should have the knife he ordered, and the one offered in apology, on Saturday if USPS does its job.
His tracking number is EO 892 064 341 US (it is different than the number I originally gave to him.)
Hopefull he will also receive his knives in good order and be pleased with them.

3. Eric Swartz was not issued a refund, as his situation was a little different.
The upswept stag carver that he ordered, and a matching stag straight carver, was sent today via express mail.
He should have his original upswept carver, and the straight carver offered in apology, on Saturday if USPS does its job.
His tracking number is EO 893 113 485 US (it is different than the number I originally gave to him.)
Hopefully he also receive his knives in good order, and be pleased with them.

4. Another gentleman, who has not been part of this discussion and shall remain nameless (unless he wants to step up and chime in), did not receive the mammoth ivory scales that he paid for.
They were lost here on my end.
His refund was issued last evening via paypal.
He is getting a package, which was also shipped via overnite mail, which contains a similar set of scales and another larger set of scales, of even better quality, which I am offering him in apology.
I hope he gets his ivory tomorrow (saturday) and that he is pleased.

5. Two other people, who have not been part of this discussion and shall remain nameless (unless they step up and want to chime in), did not recieve the mammoth ivory scales in a timely manner.
Both were refunded their money and their scales were sent to them anyway as my apology for being so late in shipping to them.
These two transactions were handled about two weeks ago.
If they give me permission to put their names here, I will do so.
I have not heard from them, but I hope they are ok with the situation and with my efforts.

6. BiggerJon is to recieve a gents folder hafted in blue/green mammoth ivory and a two blade barlow hafted in green/gold mammoth ivory.
I do not have his address on hand right now and have requested that he email it to me.
Both knives will be express mailed to him as soon as I have his address.
I hope, when he receives them, that they meet with his satisfaction and that he will enjoy them for the spirit in which they are being offered.
Both knives are coming to him as my offer in apology and he received his refund a while ago already.
I hope he will be happy with my efforts.

7. Roland, if you desire, I will gladly purchase that knife back from you.
I'll pay you the original price + shipping + the return shipping so you are not out any money.
It's totally up to you.
I'll gladly buy it back if you have any dissatisfaction with the knife or with me personally.

8. All the knives sent in apology were handmades.
They were hafted with premium material and have no defects.
If any of the knives sent, ANY of them, are not to the new owner's satisfaction, I will gladly replace them.

Thank you for the opportunity to make things right.
As I have said before, I got in over my head.
I was trying to put ten pounds of stuff in a five pound bag.
I blew it, and it is my fault. No excuses.

I wish every one the very best things in the new year to come.
Once again, my apologies to the folks listed above.
and as always..............

Keep Good Care,

Pappy,
(Tim Balda)
Amherst Cutlery Company

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
I always knew you would come though Tim,
Happy New Year,
Jim

I received the two carvers that Pappy promised yesterday and just wanted people to know that he went above and beyond to resolve the shipping delays.

I was on the fence about which one of these to buy, now I don't have to choose. :)

Upswept and Straight Carver
Amherst Carvers.jpg

BTW, there is another pouch that I didn't photograph.

Eric

I received the two carvers that Pappy promised yesterday and just wanted people to know that he went above and beyond to resolve the shipping delays.

I was on the fence about which one of these to buy, now I don't have to choose. :)

Upswept and Straight Carver
Amherst Carvers.jpg

BTW, there is another pouch that I didn't photograph.

Eric

:eek:

Beautiful knives !

Well done, pappy ! :thumbup:

I got everything as promised.. Thanks again to everyone...

My advice::: Make sure that your Customers stay #1 on your priority list. Keep communication with your customers and keep them informed with honest and accurate information and you will make it. Fixing the problems later (like you are doing now ) does show that you have desire , but in the long run (if it keeps happening) it will cost you profits and customers.

I hope things work out for you in the new year Pappy. IMO you have proven yourself to be an honest guy who makes some really nice knives. Good luck to you.

Regards

Robin

Biggerjon's situation has also been resolved.
I received his address and we shipped his knives today.
He should have them tomorrow (tuesday)

Again, thank you to everyone who was patient enough and gave me an opportunity to take care of things. Also, thanks to all of you who have given me encouragement along the way. I hope everyone is smiling. Time to look forward now.

The Note to Jon with his tracking number:

Jon,

Your knives are on the way. You should have them tomorrow if the Post Office does its job.

Your tracking number is EM 069196050 US

I hope you will be happy with your knives and can enjoy them in the spirit in which they are offered.

Keep Care,

Pappy

Back