getting a virus warning as I log in to BF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright! Was able to log in from work this morning and we're running a big boy version of Sophos, so that's a good sign. Last night at home on my Mac using Safari, it wouldn't even allow me to log on. Hopefully that's resolved as well.

told you mods that something was going on a few weeks ago bc everytime i signed in here my symantec coorp. edition went ape nuts.

I also had a Problem i had Mozilla Firefox he is warning me that the Forum is fishing Numbers and Dates.
Is not a good advertising for the HP?

Just FYI for anyone concerned; Firefox was still pitching a fit for me when I had the "block reported attack sites" option ticked. I cleared out the browsing history, and everything is back to good. I suggest the same for anyone still getting alarm bells.

Thanks to all involved for their swift attention to this matter :thumbup:

Back on the air with no problems here. I was getting the red screen warning from AVAST at every page, every mouse click last night as of about 3 am.

Today no warning, logged in as usual and everything seems to be working fine. Hope you are off getting some sleep, Spark. Good job figuring out the problem.

Robert

I did not get the warning, only some wicked virus. After getting the virus it just about killed my computer. I had to do a system restore point via the backdoor since the virus would not allow me to access any programs or files on my computer. After that I have been getting the virus thing when I try to use this forum. Today I did not get it but I am worried that I will get another attack from this forum. I am going to get off of here and check back later.

On one of my computers, the one I am currently on, I can get to BF on IE. When using Firefox to access BF, Firefox hangs and just keeps grabbing memory to the point that I have to shut down the FF process.

I have cleared out everything but the problems sitll persists.

On one of my computers, the one I am currently on, I can get to BF on IE. When using Firefox to access BF, Firefox hangs and just keeps grabbing memory to the point that I have to shut down the FF process.

I have cleared out everything but the problems sitll persists.

I was battling that too (Firefox hanging), until this morning when the 'attack site' warning became a moot issue. In particular, this happened AFTER I'd turned OFF the 'Block reported attack sites' security option (unchecked the box). It would behave fine after turning that off, as long as the browser stayed open. But, if I restarted the browser afterwards, it would hang when trying to connect to BF. Had to kill the process from Task Manager.

Finally 'checked' the 'Block reported attack sites' option box again, to at least make that problem go away. I was still getting the 'attack site' warning that way, last night, but could still 'ignore' it, and connect to BF with no other issues.

Last edited:
I can get on BF on all computers using Firefox, except the one I was on during the attack. Full system restore didn't help. The loading hangs at the point where the facebook portion is loading.

I have been watching this closely. I use Firefox 8 with Adblock Plus, NoScript and Ghostery and AVG Internet Security. I am also a Gold Member so no ads anyway. I think all my security measures worked because my anti-virus etc never detected anything. I have scanned with Spybot Search and Destroy, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and AVG. They all show my pc as uninfected.

Google is no longer flagging BladeForums as an attack site but Firefox (Mozilla) hasn't caught up yet. The only way I can visit this site using Firefox 8 is to uncheck both "Block reported attack sites" AND "Block reported web forgeries".

Spark, you may have to contact the folks at Firefox/Mozilla directly to get the site marked as "clean".

There's my two-cents update. Thanks to all those hard at work fixing this issue.

Last edited:
I can get on BF on all computers using Firefox, except the one I was on during the attack. Full system restore didn't help. The loading hangs at the point where the facebook portion is loading.

That's exactly what I noticed, too. Hangs at 'connect.facebook.net', as I recall.

Regarding the hanging issue at loading the facebook portion (while connecting to BF):

I just went back and tried Firefox both ways, with the 'Block reported attack sites' box checked, and un-checked. No more issues, either way. No hang-ups.

Whatever that was about, it seemed to have evaporated with the resolution (on BF) of the 'attack site' issue. I'll keep my fingers crossed. ;)

Yesterday Firefox said Bladeforums was a reported attack site, no problems today.

I suggest keeping separate business and personal computers, with the business computers seeing minimal exposure to the internet. Also, re-format your computer once a year. It usually clears up a few driver issues and makes the system run smoother.

Regarding the hanging issue at loading the facebook portion (while connecting to BF):

I just went back and tried Firefox both ways, with the 'Block reported attack sites' box checked, and un-checked. No more issues, either way. No hang-ups.

Whatever that was about, it seemed to have evaporated with the resolution (on BF) of the 'attack site' issue. I'll keep my fingers crossed. ;)

Still a mystery for me. 3 of my computers have no issue. I tried your advice on the 4th but it still hangs. It receives data from "edgecast.net" (or .com) and "report.cedexis.com" and then just hangs and sucks memory until I kill the process. If it works for everyone else though I guess something went awry on my machine's configuration.

Spark,

On the upside:

Ran Trend Micro Housecall & Norton AV full scans. Both clean. That's 4 different scans in the last 24 hours with no negative results from being on here. (the other 2 were Spybot & Malwarebytes) :thumbup:

On the downside, a few issues found:

Loading the main forum page results in a significant delay...like a minute, and a CPU jump to over 50% while waiting. This is new as of yesterday evening. WinXP/IE8
I believe that the Facebook link prompts a request to run an add-on (Adobe Flash Player) even on pages with no Flash objects. When IE8 In-Private is turned on to block the Facebook link icon, I get no request. This is new as of yesterday. WinXP/IE8
The text in drop down menus has gone from white to dark gray in the vb Bold Gray skin. this is new as of yesterday. WinXP/IE8 (ETA: The forum drop down menus, not the site drop downs at the very top.)
The forum skin reverts to BFC Style-1 (Default, I'm guessing) regardless of choice, at each new page load even with the option chosen in General Settings as well as at the bottom of the page. Android 2.3 (Gingerbread)/stock Android browser. This is new as of yesterday.

And early this morning, I could not edit a post in Go Advanced mode until after the 5 minute window had passed. Both IE8 & stock Android browsers.

I have no idea why these issues are present... Guessing that you had to change some options while troubleshooting maybe? Anyway, just thought you should know.

Last edited:
They are all possibly related to the forums software upgrade to 4.1.9

since this has run it's course, I'm locking this down. Start new threads with new issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back