getting a virus warning as I log in to BF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

knarfeng

senex morosus moderator
Staff member
Super Mod
I clear all cookies each time I shut down my browser. That means that I have to log in each time I visit BF. When I get to the BF log in page and start to log in, I get a warning from my Avast that a virus got downloaded from the site and that Avast shut it down.

No harm done, but I thought Spark should know. I noticed that Buford is now reporting this same thing in his thread. Since that thread was actually about a different issue which has already been resolved, I started this one to give this visibility.

Even worse, I get a virus warning on every new page that I open on BF......extremely annoying.

same here but more drastic, I had to change computers...to even log on...

I'll have to go back to that one and clear it to see whats happening, I couldn't log on at all with the virus. .

Same here. Avast tells me that it has blocked malware with each page that loads here at BF.
What gives?
Mods and Admins need to know.

That's why I use Sandboxie. When I finish my browser session everything is vaporized (unless I intentionally download a file to a secure folder).

Always make sure the browser you are using is up to date. Some of the best for keeping out viruses is google Chrome and mozilla Firefox. They have No-Script extensions which will not allow code to automatically run.
Internet Explorer can be very vulnerable and must be kept absolutely up to date. One should always keep the prompts as shown in brailledivers post enabled.

Scan your computer frequently (at least once a week for most people). Always scan with multiple programs. In addition to Avast or AVG, you should be using (one of the best, even for freeware) MalwareBytes. Another good one for finding nasty critters is TrendMicro's Housecall.

Chances are that it is not the forum, but the trojan already on your computer triggering your antivirus when it tries to redirect. Which means that you must scan thouroghly and diligently. In some cases you may need to reformat.

Chances are that it is not the forum, but the trojan already on your computer triggering your antivirus when it tries to redirect.
If it were just on my computer, I don't think everyone would be chiming in.

If it were just on my computer, I don't think everyone would be chiming in.

Only those members using AVG and Avast are reporting probs.
On my end i'm not getting any prompts or warnings. My Antivirus reports nothing and my computer is clean.

I'm not getting anything. It sounds like it's a banner problem, but then I see that some premium members are reporting it as well. What browser add ons are you guys using?

I couldn't tell for sure, but looking at the warning screen posted as a screen shot in #6 of this thread, it looks to me to the old color scheme of Avast indicating an older version of the product. You can upgrade the program at no cost just like the definitions and engine, but you usually need to do it manually.

To me the best advice given so far is to update all programs when updates or patches are available. This seems to resolve many issues up front by keeping the programs that are constantly updating their software working in conjunction with the programs we install to protect ourselves.

I have used Avast on the forum here for almost three years and have no problems.

Robert

Using Mozilla Firefox as a browser
Avast Engines and definitions version: 111217-2
Program version: 6.0.1367

Im running Ubuntu and it is seeing the browser side exploit. Something hincky running in your scripts server side. If it propagates you may have a nasty issue. I would check to see if you have a backup from a couple of days ago just in case. There are some nasty server side bugs floating around. tread lightly :)

Bufford posted the exact message he's getting in another thread:

"Exploit Blackhole Exploit Kit (type 2087)";"hdfhfdhdfhdfhhdf.c0m.li/main.php?page=b1283ebc4a63b98d";"Object was blocked";"12/17/2011, 9:28:33 AM";"file";"C:\Program Files\Avant Browser\avant.exe"

Okay, I managed to cut and paste it from the antivirus history log, (I use AVG)

The warning came up just after I had entered my username but before I entered my password.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back