Go Large--The BF Big Folder Thread

How about Gerber Doubledown?
Note: I don't own it but sometimes I want it
resource_gerberamericas_30-001530.jpg

SHOOZIZ_HAN-318_-_FOUR.jpg

Shooziz_knife_2.jpg

SHOOZIZ_HAN-318_-_TWO.jpg

Would you class this budget Chinese Shooziz Han-318 as a big folder guys ?
It`s only got a 4 inch blade but it`s thick and 13.5oz.
Ideally I want an American knife with a similar profile and weight but made of better steel.
Is there any off the shelf upgrades or will I have to go bespoke and four figures ?

Any advice will be gratefully received; thanks all in advance.

Would you class this budget Chinese Shooziz Han-318 as a big folder guys ?
It`s only got a 4 inch blade but it`s thick and 13.5oz.
Ideally I want an American knife with a similar profile and weight but made of better steel.
Is there any off the shelf upgrades or will I have to go bespoke and four figures ?

Any advice will be gratefully received; thanks all in advance.

That's a solid knife! I want it :D

Not sure, Cold Steel 4-Max Scout may be short of your expectations: it is an American design but made in Taiwan, "only" 4.8 mm thick, AUS10A steel, weighs 10 oz and is super heavy-duty.

Great! Can you tell me more about it? what are your impressions?
Truth be told, I got a great deal on it gently used from a member here, I haven't had an opportunity to use it yet, but it seems pretty solidly built. It will probably end up in one of my vehicles as an extra edged tool in the emergency bag.

Truth be told, I got a great deal on it gently used from a member here, I haven't had an opportunity to use it yet, but it seems pretty solidly built. It will probably end up in one of my vehicles as an extra edged tool in the emergency bag.

Thank you so much, norcalAF!
I really love solid knives!

That's a solid knife! I want it :D

Not sure, Cold Steel 4-Max Scout may be short of your expectations: it is an American design but made in Taiwan, "only" 4.8 mm thick, AUS10A steel, weighs 10 oz and is super heavy-duty.

I love big, heavy, square kitchen knives like this Asian 8" bone chopper with a 4/10th of an inch thick blade - it weighs over 2lbs but will cut newsprint cleanly.Crude but effective carbon steel.
It`s quite chunky - I use in the kitch for 2 inch+ bones and occasional coconuts.
Outside it`s a beast - it can batten 6" logs and can go through 1-2 inch fresh sycamore and oak branches in my tiny garden with one good whack.
The trees in the back garden are miles too big for the garden but they can`t touch my oak because it has a tree protection order on it - it gives out a lot of oxygen - it`s a whopper haha ! I`ve just noticed the trunk has got a lot thicker than the summer pic below 2 years ago !
This piccy was just taken looking out my back bedroom window - I have a little coppice outside my kitchen !
THREE_BIG_TREES_IN_A_TINY_GARDEN.jpg

MY_BABY_OAK.jpg

BUDGET_ON_A_KNIFEDGE.jpg

CHUN-CHOPPER-2.jpg

Last edited:
Do these count? I mean, they're pretty big.... 😉
vs4mZlK.jpg

Western Cutlery tried to bring something similar back, in the 1960's or so. I have one around here somewhere, but no pic just yet.
Lovely knives Choctaw Dan - thanks so much for sharing !
Because I live in England, the silly nanny state has disarmed us decades ago and now we are only allowed to have 3 inch blade max non-lockable - bleedin useless - so I can`t take that chunky blue one out with me `cos it`s illegal being a 4" lockable folder !
2_BUNCHES_OF_KNIVES.jpg

3_BUNCHES_OF_KNIVES.jpg

DICK_KEBAB_-_SABATIER_CARBON_2.jpg

I have some big knives in the kitchen - some are well over 2 foot long - I`ve got `em like bunches of flowers in vases on the windowsill haha !
The white plastic handled one at the bottom is 15 inches long.
KNIFE_BOXES_2.jpg

I have two 20 inch long scissors (at the back of pic) with 4/10th of an inch thick blades that weigh 3lbs each - my gov wouldn`t be happy in my tiny kitch haha!
BREAD_KNIVES.jpg

Even my 14" serrated bread knives and 16" Appalachian bow fiddle bread knives are quite naughty with 0.4mm - 1/64th of an inch thick scalloped blades that really are razor sharp - like a bread slicing machine in a bakery.
BLACK_MINI_AXE_HAMMER_SAW_KNIFE.jpg

Even this little 13 oz black mini axe hammer saw knife tool is frowned upon in Britain.

Last edited:
Back